Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-02-2008, 13:46   #1

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
Correcting weather helm

For those who have runners / checkstays, cranking on plenty of runner and backstay and easing checkstay can also help flatten your main which will help with your helm. Incidentally, added runner will flatten the headsail too.
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2008, 14:58   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weyalan View Post
For those who have runners / checkstays, cranking on plenty of runner and backstay and easing checkstay can also help flatten your main which will help with your helm. Incidentally, added runner will flatten the headsail too.
I would say ease the check though so the mast head excentric can throw the panel further forward. But like you said keep the runner on too tension the headstay.
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2008, 19:30   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weyalan View Post
Not sure tensioning the runners flattens the main in all cases. What flattens the main is bending the masthead aft with the backstay and the middle of the mast forward by easing anything that moves the middle of the mast aft. Tensioning the runners would tend to reduce the mast bend IMO, and therefore reduce the flattening of the main. On the other hand, to the extent the runners are going more amidships than to the stern, tensioning them might actually pull the top of the mast down, and thus promote more mast bend. So I think it depends on the boat.

I say "not sure" because my actual experience is limited to racing a fractional rig sloop. I own a cutter rigged Peterson 44 that I have not sailed much yet, but enough to know there is a weather helm problem that I have to solve.
speedoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2008, 02:07   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Weather helm on a Hartley RORC 32'

The RORC 32 that I built had very noticeable weather helm.

It was quite a good safety feature as the boat would round up if it became overpowered.

I met the designer of the sail plan, Chris Bouzaid, at a boat show many years ago and asked him how to correct the weather helm. He suggested an extra half ton of lead on the bottom of the keel.

So it is possible that when your boat is loaded to cruising trim the weather helm may not be such a problem.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2008, 03:38   #5

I have a bendy fractional rig with a tapered top and aft swept spreaders. When you crank the back stay, you pull the top of the mast aft and it curves and flattens the sail allowing you to point a bit higher, less draft in the main and a bit less weather helm.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2008, 06:33   #6

Boat: Sceptre 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedoo View Post
Not sure tensioning the runners flattens the main in all cases. What flattens the main is bending the masthead aft with the backstay and the middle of the mast forward by easing anything that moves the middle of the mast aft. Tensioning the runners would tend to reduce the mast bend IMO, and therefore reduce the flattening of the main. On the other hand, to the extent the runners are going more amidships than to the stern, tensioning them might actually pull the top of the mast down, and thus promote more mast bend. So I think it depends on the boat.

I say "not sure" because my actual experience is limited to racing a fractional rig sloop. I own a cutter rigged Peterson 44 that I have not sailed much yet, but enough to know there is a weather helm problem that I have to solve.
Quote:
Originally Posted by defjef View Post
I have a bendy fractional rig with a tapered top and aft swept spreaders. When you crank the back stay, you pull the top of the mast aft and it curves and flattens the sail allowing you to point a bit higher, less draft in the main and a bit less weather helm.
Two different masts two different uses for runners. On The Frac boats the runners tighten up the headstay and bend the mast. On a masthead boat with runners they give the mast less bend and more shape to the main. That is if the mast bends. Mine doesn't. I have runners to support the inner forestay if I am in big seas and have the storm stays'l up.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote