Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-12-2016, 09:49   #1

Boat: CSY 33
Send a message via MSN to wunderluster
CNG refill in St. Pete Tampa area

There are a lot of boats in the area with CNG tanks and there are CNG filling stations for vehicles but they can't fill a portable tank. Does anyone know of a way to get these tanks filled?

I know converting to propane is an option but I would rather fill the CNG. One customer service rep at a filling station said there is an adapter available that will allow the tank to be filled at their station but she didn't have any details or resources for the adapter.

So, first option is to find a place to fill the tank as is.
Second option is to find the adapter.

Thanks,
David
wunderluster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2016, 15:11   #2

Re: CNG refill in St. Pete Tampa area

We just closed on a boat with a CNG system. The former owner had an adapter and next time I see him I will get some pictures and the info on it. Since I will need it too.

He says there is a fill station by Tampa airport and it's about 80 cents to fill the tank. He has nothing but good things to say about the CNG so I'm going to keep the system.
WSMFP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2016, 17:34   #3
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=portable+c...pter&ia=videos Try that. As Practical Sailor says, marine CNG is so 1980's...and the adapter isn't cheap.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2016, 17:56   #4

They're not supposed to be filled but exchanged. Although at 80c (???) for a refill vs. $60+ for exchange I'd buy an adopter at any price.

PS Would not switch to propane as long as I can get CNG even at higher cost.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2016, 17:58   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=portable+c...pter&ia=videos Try that. As Practical Sailor says, marine CNG is so 1980's...and the adapter isn't cheap.
Only a plus in my book. As were the 1980s boats.
Old 23-12-2016, 19:05   #6

It was explained to me that CNG is still very hard to find parts (stoves) for but is making a come back. Getting fills in the US anyway is now much easier as many city buses and commercial vehicles switched to it.
WSMFP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2016, 19:30   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

That's really interesting. CNG really didn't work for marine stoves because there weren't enough fill stations. There weren't enough fill stations because not enough boats used CNG. Now that road vehicles are using CNG, it might make a comeback as a cooking fuel on boats.

I remember seeing a big stack of empty bottles outside of a CNG fill station when it went out of business back in the eighties.
Old 23-12-2016, 21:00   #8

Boat: Whitby 42

I made an adapter when i had cng. Its only three parts the tank fitting, a pressure guage and the fitting that fits the station hose. Google it you will find it all.if i remember correctly you have to close the tank valve at correct pressure as some stations fill to a higher pressure than the tanks are rated for. I had mine exhanged in ft pierce someone delivered them.i can find his number if needed. He actually bought my tanks when i converted and paid good money for them. he told me it was hard to get new ones. I liked cng but could never carry enough for 4 months in the Bahamas so i had to switch to propane.
Good luck
mikeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2016, 01:29   #9

Our boats came with 2 CNG tanks - a smaller 27lbs one and a larger 36lbs. The price of refill exchange at the nearest to us place is surprisingly close, about $65 and $75 respectively. About the price or a bit less of 1lbs propane bottles. This was explained is the result of high transportation costs due the weight considerations and DOT safety requirements. We do have a major CNG distributor about 1hr away in RI and they charge about 20-25% less for a pick up, about $45 and $60 for the exchange. Meanwhile I picked 2 add'l 36lbs cylinders for $5 each at a marine yard sale, saving about $250 each if purchased as a first or add'l cylinder at that distributor. I'm still figuring out how/where to install these add'l cylinders to balance the weight out, etc. before I go anywhere where obtaining CNG may be an issue. So far with very moderate stove top use (mostly coffee and soups as I do a lot of BBQing on the stern rail grill with 1lb propane bottles when not sailing) a larger cylinder is good for about 2-3 mos if not longer. I figured with more active use it should still last may be for 1 month, thus with 4 of them I would have a window of about 4 months to find a refill/recharge. Don't think it would be an impossible search. And definitely the inconvenience is worth the safety margin CNG provides over the LP.
Old 24-12-2016, 09:22   #10

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

I had CNG on my hunter, and had the same trouble...absolutely no way to fill the CNG tanks. I finally found an industrial place in toronto that specialized in tanks and gases...they were able to update the tanks to canadian standards and fill 2 tanks...ridiculous cost. It would be cheaper to buy a new stove.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2016, 09:51   #11

Tech Wiki – Catalina 34 International Association
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2016, 10:09   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
CNG is like so 1980's??? Safe, reliable, and cheap. What is so 1980s about that?
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2016, 10:11   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Time O25 View Post
They're not supposed to be filled but exchanged. Although at 80c (???) for a refill vs. $60+ for exchange I'd buy an adopter at any price.

PS Would not switch to propane as long as I can get CNG even at higher cost.
Who said the containers can not be refilled? CNG or Propane containers can be refilled endless amounts of time.
Old 24-12-2016, 10:16   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1v View Post
Who said the containers can not be refilled? CNG or Propane containers can be refilled endless amounts of time.
True

Just remember that the tanks have to be certified. About a year or so before we left SF for Vancouver Island, the refill exchange place at Svensons on Alameda raised their price from $16 to $30 then $32 because they had to start re-certifying all their tanks, which they told me cost them $90 per tank!

And where I am now there is NO CNG, anywhere. So we bought a one burner butane camp stove that served us well on our trip up although I still have the CNG stove and two full tanks on board. Still working on what I'm gonna do long term.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2016, 10:22   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
True

Just remember that the tanks have to be certified. About a year or so before we left SF for Vancouver Island, the refill exchange place at Svensons on Alameda raised their price from $16 to $30 then $32 because they had to start re-certifying all their tanks, which they told me cost them $90 per tank!

And where I am now there is NO CNG, anywhere. So we bought a one burner butane camp stove that served us well on our trip up although I still have the CNG stove and two full tanks on board. Still working on what I'm gonna do long term.
Guess we refill at vastly different places. Never had anyone ask about a "certificate" for either cng nor propane tanks. But then again you are talking about Canada and California, and we about everywhere else.