Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-08-2011, 13:05   #16

Re: Cascade 29 or Haida 26 ?

ill go to the philipinnes with ya { mate .. imk here in central america at the moment
buymyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2011, 14:26   #17

Boat: Freedom 39 Pilot House "Spartan"

As an old former Cascade 29 owner I can attest to the durability of her hull. The have a reputation for their seaworthiness as proven by many hundreds of long distance passages. That being said, there are Cascades 27s, 29s, 36s, and 42s. The majority of which were sold as bare hulls which the owners finished in their back yards or even in the yard of Yacht Constructors Inc.. Many were beautifully done by proud owners and many were done half assed. The factory finished boats were very well done. So there are Cascades and then there are Cascades.

When you are comparing 40 year old glass boats and that's what your wallet supports I'd look hard at the Cascade.

Hglad
hglad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2011, 14:45   #18

Boat: Haida 26', 18' Sea Kayak, 15' kayak, 6.5' skiff, shorts

No need to add another layer of glass. Neither boat will have hull problems. Keep the stick up, that's the important part. If you are really worried about holing, add bulkheads for flotation.
tager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2011, 14:57   #19

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Two Cascade 29 have circumnavigated.
I don't think a Haida has, but I know of one guy who took his family to Oz on NZ, can't remember.

The hull on the 29 is just fine as is. If you are worried about strength add stringers on the interior. If you are worried about holing, add watertight bulkheads. Add a staysail stay and backs for rig redundancy and increased sail area in light weather and easier sail handling in heavy.

This site Atom Voyages | Voyaging Around the World on the Sailboat Atom has good ideas on bulkheads and tankage and small boat sailing in general.

In particular he installed an integral water tank: Atom Voyages | Voyages Aboard the Sailboat Atom - Integral Watertank Construction

In general, without looking at the specific boats being considered, I would go with the Cascade for size, reputation and layout below. If you pick up a partner or crewmember, which is not a bad idea, the bigger boat will be a lot better for 2.
Adelie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2011, 18:16   #20

Boat: O'Day 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by tager View Post
I'll be the one to say, you should paint the house white on either of those boats.

Blasphemy.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2011, 12:54   #21

Thanks guys....
I settled for the Cascade 29. I'm having it inspected right now before I pay the seller to make sure the hull is in great condition. I'll probably spend another $10K to redo the interior the way I want it and will be adding some stringers in the interior.

buymyrod - sure, you can come along if you wish. How's your sailing experience?
reinellsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2011, 13:05   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by reinellsailor View Post
Thanks guys....
I settled for the Cascade 29. I'm having it inspected right now before I pay the seller to make sure the hull is in great condition. I'll probably spend another $10K to redo the interior the way I want it and will be adding some stringers in the interior.

buymyrod - sure, you can come along if you wish. How's your sailing experience?

Thanks for the invitaion Reinellsailor, my sailing experience is quite limited, just around the lake .. But I am a fast learner and very dedicated and hard worker and ask for n othign in return , just trying to have a sea experience .. I am currently in Honduras , Central America . I{ve been on backpacking for 3 months now.. & I owuld love to get to the Sea and cherish that experience.
buymyrod is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Haida