Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-10-2004, 06:05   #1

Can you hang an Airfloor Dink from Davits?

Is there a good, solid way to hang an "air floor" dinghy from a set of stern davits?

You could attach one side to the transom, but there is no rigid floor to anchor to near the bow.

I am interested in getting one for it's combination of performance, stowability and light weight, but I would like to be able to keep it on davits when in calmer waters.

Thanks, Woody
exposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2004, 11:01   #2

Boat: Privilege 37
I have an airfloor dink secured to my davits. The dinghy is a Zodiac 260FastRoller This comes with attachment points bonded into the tubes. What it doesnt have is attachment points aft but they are easy to fit to the transom anyway. This picture shows the fittings (note that this has a loose fitted canvas cover over the tubes, and also the wheels aft)

One slight drawback with this dink is that the drain on the transom is higher than the deep V, so you have to check that the boat is not filling up with water. But it is a nice boat to row, and motors well against waves. recommended engine max is 4hp, but 5 is better for planing, I use a 3.5 Tohatsu cause it is a nice light engine and easy to lift in and out.
Talbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2004, 07:24   #3

You're the second person to point out the water accumulation problem. On another board, an owner had the floor seem fail, apparently due to the weight of the water under the hp floor. But that was on a Zodiac, where seam failures are common. I am still not sure what I will do for a dink, but I have decided to mount davits on the Prout. I will be looking for the best choice to keep on davits while island hoping, but be able to stow on deck when offshore. I will continue to use the Tinker for a while and decide if I want to get something different later. The tinker is overkill for me with it's sailing and lifeboat kits. I also want something that my 4'-11" wife can handle on her own when it is time to haul and stow it. This makes a 130+ lb RIB a poor choice for us.
Old 21-10-2004, 09:12   #4

Boat: Privilege 37
V hull on the Zodiac is much deeper than most other inflatables, and this is what causes the problem. However, my last zodiac died recently aged 22 years old -cause of death was UV degradation of the material making it sticky and half of it ended up on your clothes. Hence the canvas cover on the new one. My davits enable an attitude for the tender that reduces the amount of water in the bottom to abt 2 gallons (provided you remember to open the transom vent!) I have not heard any comments in UK about seam problems with Zodiacs, rather the reverse, it is considered to be the next best boat to the avon. My davits are the 60mm tube version of the plastimo davits, modified so that they are permanent (rather than lift out) and with a rather large solar panel fitted above.
Talbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2004, 20:05   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
I just sent my Zodiac to that great inflatable place in the sky. It was a flat bottom one. But I just bought a new Zebec withan inflatable bottom and it hangs from my boats davits nicely. No problem with draining the water. I just keep the bow of it higher than the Keel.
Funny thing though, it is rated for 4.5 Persons. So we are wondering who wanted to be a half person all weekend.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2004, 06:38   #6

Thanks for all of the feed back. So, it looks like you can reasonably hang an air floor dink from davits. But, it is not without some managable risk of losing the bow attachment points.

Is it the best option for me? I don't know. I plan to look a few when I go to the St Pete boat show in a couple of weeks. It will either be an air floor or a compact RIB with the folding transom.

As for Zodiacs, they have a bad reputation around here and the Caribbean. Perhaps it's the heat, or maybe they have improved quality and they are still paying the price for poor work of the past.

Woody
Old 30-01-2005, 08:30   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Tenders

Soft dinghy? Hard choice! ~ By Bob Wood
http://www.boatus.com/goodoldboat/dinghy.htm

"Check the pros and cons before you decide which tender is right for you.

The age-old question of what dinghy is best will never find a universal answer. Each boating situation has too many variables to recommend a "one-dinghy-fits-all," but it is possible to list the advantages and disadvantages of each type ..."

Pretty good article (from GOB magazine), with some excellent links.

Thanks to Tom S on SailboatOwners Forum for the link.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2005, 15:31   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Here’s my idea of a great tender:
“The amazing Flying R.I.B or Flying Inflatable Boat (F.I.B)”:
http://www.medboat.com/watertoys/flyrib.shtml
http://flightability.bizland.com/PFIBNC.htm

Gord

Old 01-02-2005, 04:25   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Some Dinghy Articles

Some interesting “Dinghy” articles from “Sailnet”: http://www.sailnet.com/collections/g...hies/index.cfm

“Choosing a Dinghy” ~ by Sue & Larry:
http://www.sailnet.com/collections/a...eid=suelar0213

“The Fundamentals of Dinghy Choice” ~ by Tom Wood:
http://www.sailnet.com/collections/a...leid=woodto018

“Dinghies for Cruisers” ~ by Don Casey:
http://www.sailnet.com/collections/a...eid=caseyd0054

Old 02-02-2005, 04:44   #10

Send a message via Skype™ to phiggins
I just bought an Achilles LSI96

at the Toronto boat show. It has an airfloor, weighs only 73 lbs and has a bow D-ring plus towing bridle D-rings. I'm hoping to be able to put it up on davits hung from the bow D ring and something at the transom. Its also light enough to be hoisted up on the bow when cruising.

See: Achilles LSI96
phiggins is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
davits