Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-07-2018, 16:17   #31
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: Can I refer to my catamaran as a ship?

A boat is the thing you use to get back to port when your ship sinks.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2018, 17:17   #32
Marine Service Provider

You can call it anything you want but real yachtspersons and professional mariners will think you are a pretentious jerk if you call your personal vessel anything but my "boat" no mater its size.

In the Navy large vessels, except submarines, are usually called ships. Submariners call all submarines boats, even the largest missile and attack boats . Don't ever call a submariner's boat a ship.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2018, 18:35   #33

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

A ship is used for shipping. Cargo, or passengers, and is intended when built to be able to routinely cross oceans while doing it. A private yacht does not carry cargo or passengers for hire, even though it may be built with ocean passages in mind. So that is one possible criterium.

Also a ship has licensed Master, Chief Engineer, and other licensed officers aboard, whose licenses clearly state "Any Gross Tons". A vessel that can be staffed with holders of limited licenses, which is typically under 1600 tons, is to me, a boat, unless it meets the standards in the above paragraph.

But your boat. Or your ship. Or your vessel, tub, hole in the water that you regularly refill with money, whatever you want to call it. Who is gonna stop you?
Old 23-07-2018, 21:35   #34

Sounds like a registered Ship after you woohoo toot. It qualifies as a raft as well.
peter57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2018, 02:41   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Mighty View Post
Yeah. But the Australian government follows a philosophy of empty nominalism.

Kongzi 孔子, the Chinese sage known in European tongues as Confucius, had an idea he called the Rectification of Names. The core of the idea is that names without substance behind them are jokes that only turn people into fools should they use such empty names. So a name should mean something and not be just an empty label, a label without meaning.

For example, the Aus parliament in 2007 passed a law called The Australian Citizenship Act 2007 to replace the Australian Citizenship Act 1948.

The 1948 Act was the legislation that, for the first time, changed Australians from being "British subjects" to "Australian citizens".

However, neither the 1948 Act nor the 2007 Act nor any subsequent amendment to the 2007 Act have created any substance to the notion of "Australian citizenship". Australian citizens have no "rights" compared to, for example, US citizens. No right of free speech (other than an implied right, according to a court interpretation), no right to travel, and so on. No Bill of Rights. Rights are instead reserved for the State, which lets people do only what it lets people do.

So Australian "citizenship" is empty. No substance to it. A joke.

Just as is the idea that an Australian registered "ship" is a ship just because an Australian parliamentary act gives legal authority for the register of vessels and then calls all vessels "ships".

Calling small craft "ships" is a joke. Only clowns do so. Are you a clown?

ALAN (ALL) MIGHTY

I lived in the States (Denver) for a couple of years and generally found people in the US to be amazingly polite and charming; except for the poorly educated Red Necks a group I expect you belong to? During the WWII American troops stationed in Australia were collectively referred to as "Septics" or "Septic Tanks" (Rhythms with Yanks) which is in rural Australia a concrete tank sunk into the ground to which the toilet effluent flows. In other words thick as concrete and full of Sh.t. Australian citizens do not require to have our rights stated to us we simply take them for granted antyhing else would be Un-Australian, but I doubt you will have the worldliness to understand the expression.
MickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2018, 02:42   #36

I agree that you can call it what you like. Call it a tent or an RV perhaps. However, why would you want to?

Although there are many uses of the term ship, the correct technical definition is a three masted vessel square rigged on all three.

As to masters certificates, they do not all say "any tons". Mine says "unlimited Tonnage" and "unlimited waters".

regards
Mike
MikeDofFreo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2018, 02:42   #37

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

No one posted this up.... so here goes.

Difference beteeen a ship and a boat.

Have you ever been up on a bridge( the type like Oakland Bay Bridge) and seen all the cargo ships waiting at anchor for cargo unloading? Notice how they all face into the tide? Boats will do that too. But a ship won’t allow the wind to point them up. But a boat will face into the wind.
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2018, 02:56   #38

Font of all knowledge gives no precise answer
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ship

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catamaran

Though wiki does not seem to say that a sailing cat would be a ship, rather a vessel
Bean Counter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2018, 03:31   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansmith View Post
No one posted this up.... so here goes.

Difference beteeen a ship and a boat.

Have you ever been up on a bridge( the type like Oakland Bay Bridge) and seen all the cargo ships waiting at anchor for cargo unloading? Notice how they all face into the tide? Boats will do that too. But a ship won’t allow the wind to point them up. But a boat will face into the wind.
I've been on lots of what would generally be called cargo ships or tankers and many of them lay to the wind. Especially those with the bridge and accommodation block at the aft end. Th most uncomfortable was on a tanker in the Elbe river with a very strong wind against a very strong ebb tide. That one pointed (lay to) every direction.

regards
Mike
Old 24-07-2018, 03:46   #40

Boat: US$4,550 of lead under a GRP hull with cutter rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickB View Post
I lived in the States (Denver) for a couple of years and generally found people in the US to be amazingly polite and charming; except for the poorly educated Red Necks a group I expect you belong to? During the WWII American troops stationed in Australia were collectively referred to as "Septics" or "Septic Tanks" (Rhythms with Yanks) which is in rural Australia a concrete tank sunk into the ground to which the toilet effluent flows. In other words thick as concrete and full of Sh.t. Australian citizens do not require to have our rights stated to us we simply take them for granted antyhing else would be Un-Australian, but I doubt you will have the worldliness to understand the expression.
You're a smart bloke, MickB. I tips me lid to you.

Smart enough I'm sure to have read my public profile and realised that I'm an Aussie, right?

I'm sure you're familiar enough with the Aus coastline to know where Moreton Bay is too. Just look to the left and you'll see it mentioned <-

But thanks for your words about septic tanks. In an international forum such as CF, you've done the right thing to demonstrate to American and other foreign cruisers to be wary of cruising Aus waters and meeting smart blokes like yourself. Give yourself a pat on the back, mate!

Wake up to yourself, cobber. The Aus govt gives you no rights at all other than what it wants to. Everytime a group of Aussies has mentioned the need for a Bill of Rights in Aus, federal pollies and political parties have slapped it down. Oddly enough there are moves at state and territory (ACT) level towards state-based Bills of Rights, but I doubt I'll see a federal Bill of Rights in my lifetime.

You might want to take the time to re-read the Aus Constitution, too. You might note that the only mention of "citizenship" is to be found in section 44 which rules out federal members of parliament having multiple nationalities. 'Course a smart bloke like yourself can probably quote the Aus Constitution, chapter and verse, by heart. And I'll bet you're full bottle on how many MPs, including ministers, have held dual nationalities over the years starting with King O'Malley who established the Commonwealth Bank, no? And you can probably tell us which recent Minister of Foreign Affairs preferred to travel on his British passport than his Aus one, right?

Go to the top of the class mate, your blood is worth bottling.
Old 24-07-2018, 04:12   #41

Quote:
You're a smart bloke, MickB. I tips me lid to you.

Wake up to yourself, cobber. The Aus govt gives you no rights at all other than what it wants to. Everytime a group of Aussies has mentioned the need for a Bill of Rights in Aus, federal pollies and political parties have slapped it down. Oddly enough there are moves at state and territory (ACT) level towards state-based Bills of Rights, but I doubt I'll see a federal Bill of Rights in my lifetime.
The Australian Government has no need to grant rights because Australia is, like the UK, a Common Law Country. The basic principles of Common law mean that everyone is free to do whatever they like unless it is prohibited by law. So the governments in common law countries legislate to take away rights and freedoms. if they have not done so then the matter is free.

Ignorance of the law which takes away a particular freedom is not a defence to breaking that law.

Unfortunately, education is so bad that not many people realise that a bill of rights is unnecessary.

Regards
Mike
Old 24-07-2018, 04:50   #42

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

I call my boat, (Catamaran, ) A pussy, at 34 feet its not big enough to be called a Catamaran,
But it is called a sailing vessel, if I need to talk to any one in Authority,

Going thru customs or Immigration, I am the master of the sailing vessel, #######
Thats what I have to write on the forms, Sailing Vessel,

I dont think I would like the hassles if I wrote Ship on my paper work,

Falsifying paper work can get your boat seized, Calling it a ship could be construed as false information,

But go for it, Its your boat, Hahahahaha
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2018, 04:58   #43

Quote:
I'm sure you're familiar enough with the Aus coastline to know where Moreton Bay is too. Just look to the left and you'll see it mentioned <-
Ouch! One of my china plates, me dinkum mates, leant over and pointed out that young MickB might have been confused by me quoting the value of the lead ballast in Led Myne in US$.

My reply was that I'm sure MickB is a smart bloke wot knows that no one in Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane, or Adelaide sets the price for lead ingots (whether recycled or newly smelted from ore). And that the London Metals Exchange or LME (and commodity exchanges in places such as Chicago) just happen to be where the world commodity prices, including the price for lead, are set.

And of course any drongo knows in what currency the LME sets the world price of lead, right?

Check it out, geniuses: https://www.lme.com/en-GB/Metals/Non...ead#tabIndex=0
Old 24-07-2018, 05:11   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeDofFreo View Post
The Australian Government has no need to grant rights because Australia is, like the UK, a Common Law Country. The basic principles of Common law mean that everyone is free to do whatever they like unless it is prohibited by law. So the governments in common law countries legislate to take away rights and freedoms. if they have not done so then the matter is free.

Ignorance of the law which takes away a particular freedom is not a defence to breaking that law.

Unfortunately, education is so bad that not many people realise that a bill of rights is unnecessary.
You're a genius, Mike. Good on ya, mate.

Have a stickie beak at this website wot has got it all wrong:

Do we have the right to freedom of speech in Australia?

Write in and set them straight, sport. You're a champion.
Old 24-07-2018, 06:19   #45

Boat: Pearson 10M

If he is calling his boat a ship, I will be calling my dink a yacht.
sagablu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catamaran