Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-06-2016, 19:04   #166
cruiser

Re: Buying a donated boat

Paul Brown discovered Ohio. Everyone knows this.

Paul
Paul J. Nolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2016, 18:11   #167
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Watkins 27

We motorsailed across the Pamlico to Ocracoke. Nearly 11 hours the motor ran and it was beautiful! We even got rained on a good bit! Only used a quarter tank of fuel. We have huge plans for this boat. We paid a fraction of what this boat is worth even after sitting for five years. A lot of work to go, but we're excited for it!
NoQuarter79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2016, 18:39   #168

Awesome 😊 work so far.... Please keep the updates coming..
Good for you 👍
Regards Andy

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk
qwerty950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2016, 07:06   #169

Boat: 1984 Catalina 36

Glad you all had a good ride to Ocracoke. I love that sail and will be heading there next week. Glad to hear all is going well with the new boat.
Old 26-06-2016, 08:23   #170

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoQuarter79 View Post
We motorsailed across the Pamlico to Ocracoke. Nearly 11 hours the motor ran and it was beautiful! We even got rained on a good bit! Only used a quarter tank of fuel. We have huge plans for this boat. We paid a fraction of what this boat is worth even after sitting for five years. A lot of work to go, but we're excited for it!
Congratulations & the successful shakedown cruise! Something you might consider purchasing is a PLB. There's a $50 rebate on them right now & Defender has them on sale so you can get what is basically an EPIRB for under $200.

ACR ResQLink+ Personal Locator Beacon
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2016, 18:22   #171

Your options depend upon the integrity on the charity that benefited from the sale. I have purchased several boats on-line over the years and usually the price I pay is way below the salvage value of the hull. All on-line charities rely on the donor to provide both pictures and a statement of condition. If the donor is seeking to dump the boat to avoid repairs, slip rent, ins, etc., then you will inherit all the reasons the donor gave up the boat and the boat description will depend solely upon the integrity of the donor. That said, you can call the charity and explain to them that the price you paid was based upon the donor's inaccurate description of the vessel. They will often give you a partial refund if there was a clear misrepresentation made by the donor. I know this works as I received a partial refund from a charity when the donor made false and misleading statements regarding the condition of the vessel I purchased. In fact the pictures the donor submitted were about 10 years old. And his statement that the vessel was in "good running order" was false. An investment of only $1700 will not justify bringing an attorney into the mix. So try to negotiate with the charity. They've been down the path numerous times.
carl0358 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying