Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-11-2012, 08:01   #16

Re: Buying a boat in Cuba

I really don't want to get this thread off-track with debates about American citizens visiting Cuba, but the fact is that this guy is someone who is very comfortable with violating the law. He may think it's only a "white lie," but when you fill out the required forms, and falsify the information concerning your port of origin, you are committing a federal felony. Says so right there on the form.

Not the sort of guy that I, personally, would be comfortable doing business with. You are, of course, free to feel differently, but I think it is at least something to consider.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 10:25   #17

Thanks everyone for your advice.

It pretty much confirmed what i was feeling anyway, and i can safely say now that i have walked away from the whole thing.

I am coming to florida on the 23rd of november to spend a few weeks boathunting and hopefully i can find myself a safe, hassle-free, boat to start the cruising dream!

Cheers

Gio
ProjectElandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 13:22   #18

Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectElandra View Post

It pretty much confirmed what i was feeling anyway, and i can safely say now that i have walked away from the whole thing.

I am coming to florida on the 23rd of november to spend a few weeks boathunting and hopefully i can find myself a safe, hassle-free, boat to start the cruising dream!

Cheers

Gio
If someone needs a boat moved, there are ways to get it moved. Does he have a story to explain why he can't have the boat moved to Florida? It's only 100 miles or so (assuming it is on the north shore, I didn't look at a map). You might offer to move the boat for him for free with a guaranteed option to buy the boat at his original ask price. As a UK citizen you are free to move about in Cuba and in the U.S. However, I would do some research on the boat and it's ownership before actually attempting to relocate it. Have lots of documentation including letters authorizing you to take the boat, copies of registration documents, etc.

Worst case - a little vacation to Cuba
Worst worst case - a little vacation to Cuban as guests of the Cuban gov't
Best case - some poor guy gets his boat back, and you get a chance to sea trial a boat prior to purchase
ArtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 13:23   #19

Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtM View Post
If someone needs a boat moved, there are ways to get it moved. Does he have a story to explain why he can't have the boat moved to Florida? It's only 100 miles or so (assuming it is on the north shore, I didn't look at a map). You might offer to move the boat for him for free with a guaranteed option to buy the boat at his original ask price. As a UK citizen you are free to move about in Cuba and in the U.S. However, I would do some research on the boat and it's ownership before actually attempting to relocate it. Have lots of documentation including letters authorizing you to take the boat, copies of registration documents, etc.

Worst case - a little vacation to Cuba
Worst worst case - a little vacation to Cuban as guests of the Cuban gov't
Best case - some poor guy gets his boat back, and you get a chance to sea trial a boat prior to purchase
You know what, on second thought the bulkheads could be packed with contraband. This is probably more trouble than it will ever be worth in getting a "good deal on a boat".
ArtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 12:28   #20

Boat: DUFOUR 12000 CT - 45' - SANS SOUCI

Quote:

Cheers

Gio
I have a Dufour 12000ct here in Florida if your interested in a French boat.
sanssouci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 14:11   #21

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:

The seller says he has made the 97mile crossing many times with no issues from US authorities after a white lie concerning his port of origin.
That's almost laughable.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 18:10   #22

Boat: 1982 Catalina 25 Yacht

Quote:
and i can safely say now that i have walked away from the whole thing.
I know this thread is 4 months old and you walked away.....

While I was reading this....I was wondering....what's the deal with this guy and why can't a family member or friend get the boat.....really, it sounds to me like he just wants someone to get the boat back to the US.....where he is free to change his mind and back out of the sale....and now his boat is back in the US and he can take possession of it.
1982 Catalina 25, #2897; SR/FK/Traditional; Eagle Mountain Lake, Texas.
JoeDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 22:46   #23

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDiver View Post
I know this thread is 4 months old
Uhmmmm...I think you're reading the dates incorrectly. On this forum the dates are: day/month/year
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 03:23   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtM View Post
You know what, on second thought the bulkheads could be packed with contraband. This is probably more trouble than it will ever be worth in getting a "good deal on a boat".

That was my main concern.
Old 11-11-2012, 03:33   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDiver View Post
I know this thread is 4 months old and you walked away.....

While I was reading this....I was wondering....what's the deal with this guy and why can't a family member or friend get the boat.....really, it sounds to me like he just wants someone to get the boat back to the US.....where he is free to change his mind and back out of the sale....and now his boat is back in the US and he can take possession of it.
He says he can't be bothered with any of the hassle of organising someone to bring it back. However, he was willing to go through a broker with a contract that dictates he must sell it once it reaches florida. Only then he would receive the full amount from an escrow account. Doesn't mean the boat isn't loaded with contraband that he wants someone else to risk themselves with.
Old 11-11-2012, 04:17   #26

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
I gave the guy a $500 deposit to buy some time (which at the moment i have accepted i won't be seeing again).
It's a 52 ft trimaran going for $5000. Thats why i haven't given up so easily. The way i see it at the moment, i've spent $500 to buy time to do some research, better than losing $5000
RUN!!!!

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 07:12   #27

Boat: 1982 Catalina 25 Yacht

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Uhmmmm...I think you're reading the dates incorrectly. On this forum the dates are: day/month/year
Yeah, my bad....
1982 Catalina 25, #2897; SR/FK/Traditional; Eagle Mountain Lake, Texas.
JoeDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:24   #28

Boat: Cape Cod Shipbuilders Bullseye

If you want me opinion, I would take the money you are planning to spend to travel to Florida and stay there looking at boats, and take that money, spend it on a boat close to home, and learn to sail well enough to cross 100 miles of ocean before putting any more money into a dream you don't know if you will enjoy or being able to handle.
CCBullseye is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying, Cuba