Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-05-2020, 22:33   #1

Boat Registration/Flag for Global Cruising

Looking to register a boat and thinking of BVI or The Cayman Islands. Other than the usual benefits of registering offshore such as low cost, low hassle, no tax, a key consideration is the ease of clearance every-time I arrive in a new country, even if just for resupply/fuel/victuals.

Is there a list of ports where various registrations have waivers afforded by foreign countries. e.g. BVI and Caymans have a US Coastal Waters customs waiver, all British territories and until Brexit, temp EU import.

So for example, I'd like to spend a few years cruising South East Asia, then a couple years in Europe and then to the Caribbean. Each country I visit, I need to consider:
1. Immigration Visa waiver (Australian, British Dual Citizenship). I can easily find out if I need to apply for visa prior to setting off. I'd like to understand prior to choosing a vessel flag how the following two should be considered. Surely the registry should have a list of countries where they have treaties signed for such issues......
2. Boat clearance into port.
3. Customs clearance.

Please advise if I'm simplifying this to much. I don't want to blindly trust the BVI agents boast that a BVI flag is accepted in most ports around the world with customs waivers etc..

Cheers.

Ben.
bbhflts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2020, 06:37   #2

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage
Re: Boat Registration/Flag for Global Cruising

Are you a US citizen?

The boat registration is totally irrelevant to sailing round the world. Most times, unless it is a mega yacht it is simpler and cheaper to register in your own country.
Tupaia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2020, 06:46   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbhflts View Post
Looking to register a boat and thinking of BVI or The Cayman Islands. Other than the usual benefits of registering offshore such as low cost, low hassle, no tax, a key consideration is the ease of clearance every-time I arrive in a new country, even if just for resupply/fuel/victuals.

Is there a list of ports where various registrations have waivers afforded by foreign countries. e.g. BVI and Caymans have a US Coastal Waters customs waiver, all British territories and until Brexit, temp EU import.

So for example, I'd like to spend a few years cruising South East Asia, then a couple years in Europe and then to the Caribbean. Each country I visit, I need to consider:
1. Immigration Visa waiver (Australian, British Dual Citizenship). I can easily find out if I need to apply for visa prior to setting off. I'd like to understand prior to choosing a vessel flag how the following two should be considered. Surely the registry should have a list of countries where they have treaties signed for such issues......
2. Boat clearance into port.
3. Customs clearance.

Please advise if I'm simplifying this to much. I don't want to blindly trust the BVI agents boast that a BVI flag is accepted in most ports around the world with customs waivers etc..

Cheers.

Ben.

What are you trying to accomplish

The yachts flag state and your nationality are two different issues

Is your yacht private or commercial

When you are finished with your yacht were will you sell it ?

Skipping vat is generally a fools game
slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2020, 16:13   #4

As stated in point 1, I am not a US citizen.
As stated in the overall question, country of registration does impact how boat clearance and customs are treated.
Old 18-05-2020, 16:20   #5

As stated in point 1. Nationality is not the issue.
As stated in my post, boat clearance and customs clearance is my key concern. The flag of the vessel does impact these two issues.

Not commercial purely personal use.

No intent to sell and even if I did, de-registration is an easy issue to deal with.

VAT wise, it's already paid and any taxation would depend on a double taxation treaty between the countries involved in any transactions.

Tags
boat, cruising, registration