Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-07-2014, 11:06   #1

Boat: Bristol 35
Best Knot Book?

I am in the process of learning to sail- first class will be Sept. In the mean time I am reading and learning as much as possible. Is there a MUST HAVE book on knots? I see a lot of them on Amazon and want to get 1 or 2 of the best and easiest to learn from. Suggestions???
biker6977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2014, 11:09   #2

Boat: Catalina 387
Re: Best knot book????

Well, the reference tome would be Ashley's. But nobody but a knot geek needs that.

There's a good section in Chapmans, and you need a Chapmans anyway.

I like Animated Knots by Grog | How to Tie Knots | Fishing, Boating, Climbing, Scouting, Search and Rescue, Household, Decorative, Rope Care,

Heck, you only need to know a few knots anyway.
jeepbluetj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2014, 11:21   #3

eGads! I just looked at Ashley's book of knots on Amazon- I don't think I can remember 4,000 different knots!!!! OK, is there a practical book of knots I should get? I do not yet have Chapmans piloting and seamanship- should I just get it? Are there all the practicle knots in it?
Old 25-07-2014, 11:24   #4

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Learn about 5 important knots. I think Seaworthy Lass just named 'em in the thread about the Zeppelin Bend.

-Chris
Old 25-07-2014, 11:48   #5

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

There's about four to six must-know knots on which most agree, and a couple of exotics, like the Zeppelin Bend and the Prussik, that have a certain cachet. If I had to pick one book, however, it would be Brion Toss's "The Rigger's Apprentice", because it mentions a number of representative knots found in rigging and boat handling and the situations in which they are best employed...along with a sound compendium of rigging information that in my case long paid for the book's initial cost. I also found Grog's Animated Knots better than any book, but the Tyer's Guild (can't recall the website) had my favoured illustrations.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2014, 12:37   #6

Thank you, just ordered The Rigger's Apprentice. and I will be watching internet tonight - thank you for the weblink.
Old 25-07-2014, 13:23   #7

Really - listen to what Ranger42 says - you really only need to know 5 knots, and SeaworthyLass (a knot geek) outlined them well.

Heck, if you can tie a bowline and a cleat hitch you're pretty close to done.

But I'm the opposite of a knot geek. A simple half-hitch works as a stopper for me.
Old 25-07-2014, 13:38   #8
cruiser

If you buy The Complete Rigger's Apprentice by Brion Toss, you'll never need another book about line, knots or rigging.
Jammer Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2014, 14:28   #9

Boat: Vancouver 27

I really like 'The Marlinspike sailor" by Hervey Garrett Smith. Old-school style with wit and good illustrations. A lot of good practical stuff as well as that which is more "crafty" in nature.
laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2014, 14:38   #10

Boat: Nothing large at the moment

You must have a Chapmans! I will second "Marlinspike Sailor"
Tingum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2014, 17:42   #11

OK, just put Chapmans and The Marlinspike sailor on my Amazon wish list so I don't forget them. All the boat books I've been purchasing lately it seems like christmas every week with the books getting delivered. Hubby told me I'll sink the boat if I try to fit them all on it
Old 25-07-2014, 18:12   #12

Although the Chapmans is dry as a bone to read, it's a good reference on the boat. There's marlinspike (ropework) chapters, anchoring, sailing, etc... Excellent book to have around.

Other than that, look at Grogs animated and practice. Practice bowline again and again and again and again... (etc) -- If you can't make a fancy zeppelin bend, what the heck, tie two bowlines looped together. It'll be highly unfancy and not correct or anything, but the lines will be tied together. Hence, learn the bowline. (I would of course, use a better bend, but my point is if you only learn one knot the bowline is it)

Then a couple hitches - round turn and 2 half, the cleat hitch (which everybody already knows how to tie, improperly, mostly makes a billion X's over the cleat.. Hey.. it holds the line) - A rolling hitch for the specific uses for it.
Old 25-07-2014, 18:55   #13

I will be practicing knots while watching the animated stuff tomorrow while watching the yard sale- getting rid of more and more shtuff we don't need and won't fit on the boat. I very much appreciate everyone's help when I ask questions- I can't believe we're really going to do this!!!!!!!
Old 25-07-2014, 19:12   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Animated illustrations such as Grog's are definitely the way to go for beginners.

If you've got an Android tablet, a good app for when you don't have internet access for Grog's is "Useful Knots" by Neptuns Apps.

And as others have said, just learn a few basics initially and practice them until you can do them with your eyes closed and without needing to think about it.

Certain people around here, who shall remain nameless, play with lengths of rope in the evening when they are watching TV, reading a book or whatever
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2014, 21:26   #15

Boat: Rafiki 37

I can't really say there is a "best" knot book but jeepbluetj link to Animated Knots by Grog | How to Tie Knots | Fishing, Boating, Climbing, Scouting, Search and Rescue, Household, Decorative, Rope Care, I really like. It's been around for at least 7 years I'm aware of.

I free knot book with lots of good information can be found here:
http://uploads.worldlibrary.net/uplo...good_knots.pdf

youtube is a great resource. With the correct software you can also download the videos you like.

And don't forget lots of practice to develop that muscle memory. :-)
kentobin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
knot