Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-05-2014, 17:38   #1

Bareboat Charter Requirements?

I am curious as to what credentials I need to rent a barebones charter in southern florida. Specifically the Tampa Bay Area. I have sailed my 1977 Chrysler 26 solo for the last 10 years on local lakes including Lake Erie. I however have no formal sailing certifications. I just sail! Will they rent to someone who has no formal certifications, but has a significant sailing experience?

Any insight would be great.
CapnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2014, 20:17   #2

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: Bareboat charter requirements?

Ultimately, it is entirely the decision of the charter company regardless of venue. Certifications are not "required" but do help document training. I suggest contacting the specific charter company and discussing with them.

Most charter agreements request a "skipper's resume" and provide for an optional on the water check out with a captain. They also typically have the option of putting a captain aboard for your charter, at your expense,...should the on the water check out not go so well.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2014, 21:19   #3

Boat: Lagoon 420

Belizesailor has it right. Depends on the company. They will want to know your experience and while it's on a smaller boat than you might want to charter, sounds extensive enough that you might find you are fine.

When we started chartering with no other experience than ASA 101/103/104 under our belt the company was comfortable starting us on a 35' Catalina. Once they saw we were capable of that we moved up to bigger monos and then a 40' cat. That gave us enough of a resume that other companies have rented us 40+ cats and haven't had any problems.

Best of Luck!
Wherever we want to go, we go. That's what a ship is you know - it's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails, that's what a ship needs. But what a ship is...really is, is freedom. ~Johnny Depp as Capt. Jack Sparrow
krafthaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2014, 07:50   #4

Thanks for the info.
Old 21-05-2014, 08:57   #5

Boat: Newport 28 MKII

Credit card with plenty of room on it + the bareboat charter companies we used in the BVI's were very clear about being truthful on the sailing resume/application, saying it becomes part of the charter contract. Sounds like you will be fine. Expect to asked about anchoring experience, chart reading, reefing and maybe being comfortable with using a diesel engine.
Steve W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2014, 09:00   #6

Can anyone recommend a good charter company in the BVI, Bahama or southern Florida area?
Old 21-05-2014, 09:23   #7

I've not found charter companies reluctant. Make a resume showing as much experience as possible. I've chartered in Tonga, Mexico and the Caribe with nothing other than a resume. No formal training.
Bahamas charter companies seem limited. I've had good experiences with the Moorings in all the places I mentioned. I think I heard they were in the B'mas now...?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2014, 09:35   #8

Boat: Newport 28 MKII

Conch Charters in BVI is a great value.
Steve W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 08:25   #9
Sailbeat | #1 Yacht Charter Portal

Send a message via Skype™ to SailBeat
Re: Bareboat Charter Requirements?

No qualification legally required but the operators will inset on seeing your ailing resume/qualifications.
Old 12-11-2014, 09:34   #10

Re: Bareboat Charter Requirements?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailBeat View Post
No qualification legally required but the operators will inset on seeing your ailing resume/qualifications.
Dontcha just love Spellcheck!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bareboat, charter, men