Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-05-2013, 15:39   #1

Boat: Jeanneau 57
Antigua Sailing Week 2013 - pictures/slideshow

I worked as a volunteer at the Antigua Sailing Week regatta last week and just put together my first (simple) slideshow video of some selected pictures at

Antigua Sailing Week 2013 Slideshow - YouTube

(You can view it in high-definition instead of the default low-resolution should you wish, the pictures are at 1280x960 resolution)
For those who'd like to look at the pictures in more detail (perhaps with some text), take a gander at Antigua Sailing Week 2013
Old 10-05-2013, 21:21   #2

Re: Antigua Sailing Week 2013 - pictures/slideshow

I got to crew for Antigua sailing week 1989. 5 days of racing with 4 near collisions and one actual collision. I am cleaning my house to get it ready to sell, and just today I ran across my 1989 Antigua Race Week T shirt. It brought back great memories. I also was asked to do crowd control for the after race party. It was so crazy that my feet were stepped on so many times that over the next week I lost 4 or 5 toe nails. It was great fun, but I limped for weeks afterwards. It is a great experience._____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 13:35   #3

Great pics and it looks like a good time. I will have to get there one year.
jcp0231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2013, 13:48   #4

The parties aren't quite as wild these days, and I was usually too tired to remain very long (but from my days working the door I did learn to always wear heavy footwear, keeps from people walking on you and tends to be impervious to glass shards).

The Antigua Sailing Week has had its ups and downs over the years and is now on the way back up after some difficult times.

I was in Falmouth the day before yesterday (to clear out of Antigua) and the place is like a ghost town - no more than 10 big boats at both of the big marinas where a week earlier there had been hundreds. Everyone has fled either to Europe for the summer or southwards below the hurricane belt.
Old 13-05-2013, 14:13   #5

Boat: Nimble Artic 26
Cool Re: Antigua Sailing Week 2013 - pictures/slideshow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin View Post
I was in Falmouth the day before yesterday (to clear out of Antigua) and the place is like a ghost town - no more than 10 big boats at both of the big marinas where a week earlier there had been hundreds.
Yep, It was real quiet during the Low season, (summer). Plenty of room in the restaurants and bars. The sailing was kind of dull with flukey winds. Sure did enjoy living there. Wish I was there now.

I remember being on my boat in Jolly Harbour during sailing week and not even thinking about trying to get out as I was blocked in by boats all along the marina, one anchored in the aisle right behind me. Hard sleeping as the music played loudly and discordantly from the two bars until dawn.
Wish I was there... Oh I already said that.

Wish I was there.
tbodine88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2013, 20:09   #6

Two weeks after race week is the best time of year in Antigua. The crazyness is over and the nicest time of year begins. Yes, you need to know where the best (not nearest) hurricane holes are, and the heat can be bad on shore, but anchor far enough out and life is great. there are still plenty of lobsters, and the buses are not crowded. The summer sailing community is much saner, and more close knit. The first time I sailed into Antigua, I arrived in the middle of the charter boat show, not knowing anything about big money and crewed charter boats. I thought the place was nuts. I later learned to love the place. I spent 3 summers in Antigua, and one in the Virgins, and liked the summer months.______Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2013, 09:49   #7

Boat: Tartan 4100

Ah, memories.
My wife and I crewed on a boat named "Scoundrel" back in '95 for our 7th anniversary (not real romantic, but it was a blast). Scoundrel was owned by a local restaurateur named Tony. I wonder if it still races??? Was the "sail naked" boat still at it?
Thanks for sharing the slide show
Tortuga's Lie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2013, 11:47   #8

Boat: Tartan 37 #6

Yes,thanks for the memories Zanshin,I lived in English Harbor 76 thru 79, got engaged at Green Island in 84 and married in Falmouth in 85, It was a lot different then,no marinas !Did race week a couple of times. Bruce.
steamgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2013, 18:12   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortuga's Lie View Post
Ah, memories.
My wife and I crewed on a boat named "Scoundrel" back in '95 for our 7th anniversary (not real romantic, but it was a blast). Scoundrel was owned by a local restaurateur named Tony. I wonder if it still races??? Was the "sail naked" boat still at it?
Thanks for sharing the slide show
There was a "sail topless" for ladies boat until a couple of years back, but it isn't around anymore; but there was at least one womens-only racing boat at it. I don't recall seeing a scoundrel, but it could have been in the other class/other committee boat.

Tags
Antigua, sailing