Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-08-2015, 14:31   #31

Re: Annapolis Boat Show - Deals on EPIRBs?

Have you looked at the Australian market, they seem really cheap. I don't understand the huge difference. You should be able to get one for under $200.00.
I have always thought of an epirb as an absolute necessity although I hope I never have to use one.
Bob_a_p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2015, 15:12   #32

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Holy Crap.. "MondayNever" Thanks for posting that.. I'm in the market for a EPIRB and that one fits the bill perfectly.

Ordered (shipping to Canada)!
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2015, 15:35   #33

Boat: Contest 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellerw View Post
Holy Crap.. "MondayNever" Thanks for posting that.. I'm in the market for a EPIRB and that one fits the bill perfectly.

Ordered (shipping to Canada)!
Too easy! Glad it's useful to you and let us know he she looks upon arrival.
MondayNever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2015, 09:13   #34

Just bought an ACR Global Fix Pro from the GPS Store, $399.99, free shipping, no tax, with a mail in rebate for a Rapid Ditch Bag that sells for $45. Good deal. May just be for the month of August.
APKetcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2015, 09:25   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by MondayNever View Post
Too easy! Glad it's useful to you and let us know he she looks upon arrival.
For any Canadians that read this. I paid $380cdn including shipping to my door.

The best deal I could find in Canada with a GPS was an Ocean Signal for $499+shipping (marineoutfitters.ca). The Ocean Signal only has a 5 year battery life, the SA1G from Australia has a 10 year.

The deal APKetcher just posted is great for anyone in the USA. Not so good for us Canadians. With shipping, that EPRIB would be $596cdn.

I wonder why EPIRBs are so much cheaper in Australia.
Old 29-08-2015, 12:01   #36

Boat: Gozzard, 44CC, 50'

As an alternative to a dedicated EPIRB you might want to check out some new products from DeLorme. Their In Reach units offer satelite EPIRB as well as web based position tracking and communications for less than a traditional dedicated EPIRB. I recently tracked my son while he was doing a delivery and it was pretty amazing. You can check them out at inreachdelorme.com/product-info/
Scrimshaw4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2015, 16:47   #37

All right ladies and gents, I've sorted it out. Woke up bright and early this morning and decided to google marine consignment stores in the area. Turns out there's one called Blue Pelican Marine Consignment in Alameda, so Cat and I hopped in the car and took a trip over the bridge. This place was a frickin' gold mine! I wandered aimlessly for over an hour just blown away by the random assortment of stuff they had at a fraction of West Marine prices. Once I collected my jaw off the floor, I went in search of what I actually come for and found these two bad boys in the glass case.

Two basically new ACR ResQLink+ PLBs, de-registered, with batteries good until 2020. How much? $135 each. Can I get a deal if a buy both? Yup! $220 for the pair.

DEAL!

I think this is pretty much the best option given the budget. We get a minimum of 48 hours transmit time in total (same as an EPIRB) and we can keep them clipped to our PFDs at all times, which is a hell of a lot more useful if one of us goes overboard.

Thanks for all the advice fellas!
Old 01-09-2015, 19:01   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by MondayNever View Post
Back to EPIRBs:
There is an Aussie company called KTI that makes a model called the SA1g that is only $235 - EPIRB KTI SA1G-INTERNATIONAL GPS 406 MHz MMSI BEACON - SkippersMate

The problem is that just recently that website put up a notice stating that they are no longer available to American boats/buyers due to "programming changes." I've emailed the manufacturer to get more info but it may take a little time. I'll update when I know more.
I just got a response from Veronica Piver at KTI about using the SA1G EPIRB in the USA:

"We have found that several people have had difficulty registering there beacon with USA

The COSPAS-SARSAT system requires that every beacon in the world has a unique identification number (U.I.N. Also known as a HEX ID or a 15HEX).
This number is constructed from several parameters programmed into the beacon including country code, message type and message data.

We can program our EPIRBs with any ITU assigned country code (also known as a "MID" code). By default our EPIRBs are coded with country code 503 (Australia) and a manufacturer assigned serial number. They can also be custom coded with either a valid MMSI or Radio Callsign together with an assigned beacon number.
Some countries use multiple country codes and many countries impose restrictions on beacon programming options.
You should contact your applicable local authority to determine the appropriate country code and message type
(Manufacturer assigned serial number / MMSI / Radio Callsign) for your circumstances. Note - MMSI codes incorporate a specific country code.

Please note that we have based our response on previous customers who have had difficulties.

We will be happy to program our product to USA providing the customer has researched and provides us with the correct information.

Regards,
Veronica Priver
Customer Relations"
Old 09-09-2015, 15:24   #39

Just wanted to update this thread.

I received my KTI SA1G today. Looks and feels like a quality piece of kit. Shipping and communication from the company was fantastic. Very happy... $380cdn ($286usd) for a full featured EPIRB with a 10 year battery life. Damn, I feel like I should buy one for my dinghy at that price

I just registered it with the Canadian Beacon authority, no problems.
Old 04-10-2015, 11:27   #40

Boat: Ocean Alexander tri cabin 52'

Personal Locator Beacons, cell phone size, West Marine.

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
MVDarlin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
annapolis, annapolis boat show, boat show, epirb