Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-11-2014, 07:45   #16

Boat: Pacific Seacraft, Dana, 24
Send a message via ICQ to EveningTide
Re: Anchorages between San Francisco and San Diego

To the OP- You're not leaving next week. Our first significant storm of the season will arrive Monday. The wind will be south or SW 15-25g30 until Thursday. Then it will turn NW and blow 20-30 knots for several days, then go nearly calm. In summer we have reliable NW wind but not in winter. You are more likely to be motoring south during the winter. At least there is less fog in the winter. I have done some beautiful sailing in January with clear skies, 50 mile visibility, warmth and less than 10 knots of wind. Beautiful but not good for sailing long distances (but fine for motoring).
EveningTide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2014, 09:14   #17
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i sailed south on a prefrontal for winter storrm. i can, as i have a heavy cruiser that loves that stuff. in a lesser weight finer keeled boat, one might want to set out on passage south 2 days after a winter storm ends. first day to allow the conditions to lay down, second for seas.
years prior, i set sail a day after an el nino storm and found seas were still quite large. scared the **** out of the boat sowner. i was not that soul., i merely sailed the boat from avalon to oceanside essentially sola, with cowering owner below decks not sober.....taught me i didnt want same under water configuration with my own cruising boat. was irwin citation 37 sloop. seas were actually around 20 ft. he said they were 40, i didnt look astern. i was too busy. (no effective otto pile it--was wheel mount and was overpowered by the weather.) we got good sog--made trip mooring to dock in under 19 hours.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2014, 15:12   #18

Boat: Haid a 26

Hey guys! Thanks so much!! That's awesome up to date information! Planning on going the 4th. I will be maintaining a Facebook page with pics, a link to a gps tracker and videos. It should be high adventure! I will be using the Facebook page jim edmark with me as the big pic and Vinni fingers, the dog I tragically lost attempting to round cape Mendocino. :... ( as the little pic.
Jim Edmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 07:50   #19

Boat: Pacific Seacraft, Dana, 24
Send a message via ICQ to EveningTide

Have a nice voyage.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WindSpd29_mtr.png
Views:	200
Size:	20.6 KB
ID:	92643