Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-06-2014, 06:09   #31

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post

I'm still experimenting, and the chain hook seems to work so far, but I'd like to hear more.

I'm also curious as to what's wrong with letting the bridle line run through the eye of the chain hook, rather than splicing two lines, port and starboard. Obviously I'm missing something, but it seems to me it might even absorb more shock loading since it's spread across the whole length, not just one side or the other.
If a bridle rigged like that breaks or comes loose anywhere, it's gone, if you splice it on port and starboard, one side will keep holding even if the other breaks or comes loose.

Besides that, you don't want the bridle just running through the chain hook when the boat veers and one side has a disproportionate load. One point of a bridle is to create some resistance to veering.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2014, 06:18   #32

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40
Re: Anchor line snubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
snip
I'm also curious as to what's wrong with letting the bridle line run through the eye of the chain hook, rather than splicing two lines, port and starboard. Obviously I'm missing something, but it seems to me it might even absorb more shock loading since it's spread across the whole length, not just one side or the other.
The principal reason not to allow the bridle to run through an eye, is chafe. If leg of a bridle isn't independent (or fixed by some type of splice/knot) it would slide through the chain hook and saw back and forth as the boat sails around. Even a little movement can become a problem, over time or under extreme storm loads.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2014, 17:07   #33

Boat: Bristol 38.8

If you can splice nylon (stretchy) line to a chain hook, you can make a decent snubber for under $20. You just want your foredeck cleat to take the load instead of the windlass. You don't need a bridle or anything like that.

If you want to get really fancy, cut up an old hose and use it as chafing gear in the spot where the snubber runs through your hawse hole. Use duct tape to fasten it to the snubber.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2014, 18:03   #34

Boat: Burger 74' motor yacht, 65 foot 12 metre, Flicka and sailing dinghy

and where do you snub the line to? A cleat or sampson post?
A couple of months ago, two "very experienced" boat captains snubbed the anchor line on my boat to the capstan on the anchor windlass.
dohenyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 06:28   #35

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by dohenyboy View Post
and where do you snub the line to? A cleat or sampson post?
A couple of months ago, two "very experienced" boat captains snubbed the anchor line on my boat to the capstan on the anchor windlass.
If you mean the cleat on top of your windlass, this isn't necessarily wrong. Your windlass should be mounted and backed strongly enough to use as a cleat. When everyone warns against letting the windlass take the load, they are talking about the clutch/gears taking the load. Many windlasses have locking pawls on their gypsy that does allow it to take a load.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 06:55   #36

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
SNIP

You don't need a bridle or anything like that.

SNIP
Can't speak for monohulls but every multihull I have seen uses a bridle. Even monohulls are capable of sailing at anchor and a bridle helps mitigate this.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 06:58   #37

Boat: PT-11

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
If you mean the cleat on top of your windlass, this isn't necessarily wrong. Your windlass should be mounted and backed strongly enough to use as a cleat. When everyone warns against letting the windlass take the load, they are talking about the clutch/gears taking the load. Many windlasses have locking pawls on their gypsy that does allow it to take a load.

Mark
This is exactly what we do for setting the anchor. Our windlass is extremely strongly installed and we use a short piece of technora on a hook to take the snubbing load off the gypsy. Then set we transfer the load to the bridle.

Sent from my SM-T210R using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 07:07   #38

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post

Mark
+1

Exactly. Some horizontal windlasses (like Lofrans) have a cleat on top specially for this purpose. Even a crappy vertical windlass like mine (Lewmar Ocean) could take the load as long as you tied off the snubber around the capstan drum, so that the gears are not taking the load.
Old 01-07-2014, 15:12   #39

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
+1

Exactly. Some horizontal windlasses (like Lofrans) have a cleat on top specially for this purpose. Even a crappy vertical windlass like mine (Lewmar Ocean) could take the load as long as you tied off the snubber around the capstan drum, so that the gears are not taking the load.
Still puts bending loads on the shaft... could cause a problem if a sudden load came up.

Jim
Old 01-07-2014, 16:02   #40

Boat: Bristol 38.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
Can't speak for monohulls but every multihull I have seen uses a bridle. Even monohulls are capable of sailing at anchor and a bridle helps mitigate this.
LOL, I have a bridle on my mooring pennant and it mitigates nothing. The boat follows the wind and the current and when I get down to the boat everything looks like a pretzel.

But if you want a bridle, that's fine. You need two splices instead of one. Alternatively, just make two snubbers, each with its own chain hook. One goes to the starboard cleat, the other goes to port.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 16:48   #41

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Gorgeous windlass. Why are so many good boats provided with wimpy vertical windlasses and no sampson posts?
As opposed to horizontal windlasses with sampson posts?

Old 01-07-2014, 16:54   #42

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Recovering snubber:

Old 01-07-2014, 23:51   #43

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post

As opposed to horizontal windlasses with sampson posts?
Exactly!
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Old 02-07-2014, 06:23   #44

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
LOL, I have a bridle on my mooring pennant and it mitigates nothing. The boat follows the wind and the current and when I get down to the boat everything looks like a pretzel.

But if you want a bridle, that's fine. You need two splices instead of one. Alternatively, just make two snubbers, each with its own chain hook. One goes to the starboard cleat, the other goes to port.
I think you misunderstood tomfl. A bridle doesn't stop one from following the wind and current - it stops one from sailing around when pointed into the wind and/or current.

A bridle is pretty much mandatory on a multihull, and most mono's I have been on also benefit to various extents from a bridle vs. a single snubber. Some mono's don't benefit enough to make a practical difference while others, like our old CCA design with long overhangs, benefit greatly from a bridle.

I have seen mono's tacking back and forth 90* on anchor while continually traveling the downwind 180* of their swing circle.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 06:43   #45

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Quote:

Here's how to avoid knotted mooring pennants, and keep them from wrapping on the chain beneath the ball:
1) Float the pennants so they don't sink when they go slack. (I use inexpensive split closed-cell foam pipe insulation from Home Depot but you could be more "nautical" by using a series of small fishing floats tied every foot or so.)
2) Either use a cylindrical mooring shape, or size your mooring ball so the middle is at or below the waterline. This allows pennants that have wrapped around the ball during a slack period to slide over (not beneath) the float when the wind/current causes the boat to start pulling again.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor