Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-06-2015, 13:58   #1

Boat: Medusa 25
Advice on value of Yacht

Hi All

Due to a move I am selling my Yacht and would like views on its value. Needless to say I have spent many many thousands of pounds on it but can't value it off that and I can't see any of these for sale anywhere let alone like this one.

Basic info

Medusa 25 by Maurice Griffiths
Bilge and skeg
Totally stripped and restored
Professionally reconditioned Stewart Sole 12hp with around 50 hours and Seagull spare fitted out board bracket. L.E.D lights in cabin, mast and nav. Jabasco flushing toilet in own cubicle. colour depth sounder/fishfinder. A.I.S V.H.F. Hard wearing custom made cushions for double bed at front and two single either side at rear(very comfy). Main sail and large jib.ceiling lined with lining material so warm and no condensation. Large water tank up front to serve sink and toilet. Auto bilge not yet connected to self drain. Metal shoes. New bumper all round. Many more upgrades like 240v

In storage on dry land at the moment with mast down in S.W.Scotland
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1450.jpg
Views:	552
Size:	408.0 KB
ID:	103884   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0006.jpg
Views:	456
Size:	405.9 KB
ID:	103885  

tillybobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2015, 15:36   #2

Boat: Cape Dory 31
Re: Advice on value of Yacht

Can't help with the value but I love the pup.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2015, 15:47   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

is she plywood or fiberglass?
probably looking at £5k if glass,less for plywood
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2015, 10:36   #4

Boat: Medusa 25

Sorry forgot to mention she is fibreglass and everything is in very good condition.
tillybobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2015, 11:09   #5

Boat: Beneteau First 310

Nice looking boat.

Wonder if you can compare to Alacriy or Vivacity brands (also twin keelers) and find some of those on the market?
Old 20-06-2015, 12:03   #6

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

The best realistic way to value her that I know of, is to look at listings of her sistershipts & other vessels similarly equipped in her class. Especially if you can find out what other vessels like her have sold for recently.
A couple of the obvious, primary places to look for such are; www.yachtworld.com & www.sailboatlistings.com Although both of those do have a heavy US orientation. Though the former does have a lot of EU boats as well. So, finding a few more, similar sites, close to home, would give you more of a base to draw from.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2015, 13:15   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

A lovely boat with jaunty lines, and evidently well taken care of. Good luck with the sale!

This kind of vessel is just what you want in the strongly tidal UK waters. If I could have a second boat, it would be something very much like that.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2015, 06:48   #8

Boat: Tayana 47

Can't help you with the price but I do think it's a very nice boat and one that would certainly tempt me if I were looking to buy one in southern Scotland!

Seeing the pics reminds me of my first awareness of bilge keel sailboats which was rather shocking to me. I was staying aboard my first cruising sailboat, a 35' Hinckley Pilot, on it's mooring during what passes for a hurricane in Maine watching all the other boats in the harbor thrash around with things coming loose and blowing away. Winds were probably only about 40 knots max so technically it wasn't a hurricane by the time it got to us but it had been one that got a lot of publicity as it made its way up the east coast. Anyway, as I sat in my cockpit watching the storm and the harbor goings on, in motors a sailboat similar to yours, and proceeds to motor right towards the beach behind us. I thought he was crazy or had lost his steering but was powerless to "help" him. He proceeded to continue right up to the beach and stopped just short of it, grounded out at nearly high tide, but as the tide went out he stayed upright and motionless on dry land while the rest of us continued to thrash around and break things out in the harbor. I could see the owner sitting calmly in his cockpit during the rest of the storm watching all of us, and even getting out and apparently walking into town. I was very impressed by the whole concept of being able to ground out while staying upright. What a great boat for gunkholing in areas with big tides!

Good luck with your sale!
jtsailjt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
yacht