Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-07-2014, 08:02   #1

Boat: Island Packet 40
Where in Florida to ship a boat???

Well, it looks like we will have to ship our boat from Lake Erie to Florida this year as we will not be able to make the window to use the canal. We don't really have a preference where in Florida, but we do plan to spend part of the winter in the Bahamas.

Those with Florida knowledge...where would you ship your boat to if in the same situation?

Bill
CaptainBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2014, 08:07   #2

Boat: Beneteau 411
Re: Where in Florida to ship a boat???

Can you make enough southing before winter sets to avoid shipping? I made it off Lake Erie too Chesapeake last summer (12 days if u push it) then launched off Chesapeake thanksgiving day had a great sail south although I'll admit to breaking some ice on the ICW south of Norfolk early one morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
tryrsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2014, 08:31   #3

Unfortunately we can not leave this year until mid October at the earliest.

Bill
Old 26-07-2014, 08:39   #4

Boat: Beneteau 411

Hmm, well if you wanted to experience the journey down (I would) I'd recommend Chesapeake boat works in Deltaville Va. Great folks, very reasonable too. You might even be able to make the Annapolis boat show if that's of interest.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
tryrsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2014, 08:42   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Several things to consider.

If your plans are to cruise the Bahamas and you have no interest in seeing north Florida then the further south the better.

Shipping is charged by the mile so the further south you ship the more you will pay. Also yards and launching fees are more in south Florida than a bit further north. But if you launch in north Florida it could cost you more in fuel and time to get to the Bahamas than if you went ahead and trucked it all the way south.

There are good places to launch all up and down the east coast of Florida so would not use that as one of the criteria in the decision process.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2014, 08:47   #6

Boat: Seafarer36c

Look into Green Cove Springs Marina if you need to do some work on your boat. Yard rates are low, it's the nearest to you and the Bahamas. If you are used to fancy marinas this is not the place. It's got dirt, bugs, heat, cigarette butt's etc..
The marinas near Cape Kennedy look like they have lowered their rates because of the space center lay off's..
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2014, 09:03   #7

Harbortown in Fort Pierce would be good. Maybe Crackerboys in West Palm. There is a small yard north of the bridge in Fort Pierce that could do it also.. but forget the name. Probably cheaper as it's a bit junkier.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2014, 09:13   #8

Thanks for the suggestions so far. We don't anticipate any major work needing done, just need to re-rig the boat, so a knowledgeable yard or good rigger might be needed.

If north FL is cheaper to launch and use marina facilities, then north would be good.

We will be exploring for a couple of months before we push off to Bahamas, so have time to voyage south.

Bill
Old 26-07-2014, 09:22   #9

Crackerboys destepped a lot of masts when I was in their yard ... due to a hurricane headed our way. I think they may have limited depth at the haulout though. Harbor town is big and has a lot of gear.
Go with a well recommended trucker. Watch protection for the mast especially. A trucker rubbed a hole right thru my mast due to lack of attention along the way. Another time they rubbed a hole in my hull. Those guys just seem to go and never look at what's going on to the load. If you could sign on as the "wide load" follow car that would be good... you could check things every time he stops!

Old 28-07-2014, 05:45   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Crackerboys destepped a lot of masts when I was in their yard ... due to a hurricane headed our way. I think they may have limited depth at the haulout though. Harbor town is big and has a lot of gear.
Go with a well recommended trucker. Watch protection for the mast especially. A trucker rubbed a hole right thru my mast due to lack of attention along the way. Another time they rubbed a hole in my hull. Those guys just seem to go and never look at what's going on to the load. If you could sign on as the "wide load" follow car that would be good... you could check things every time he stops!
Cheechako,
Who did you use when you had damage to your mast and hull?

Bill
Old 28-07-2014, 06:44   #11

Thanks everyone for the help. After looking at the prices in Florida, I think we will move it to Charleston, and will open another post for suggestions there.

Bill
Old 28-07-2014, 09:32   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainBW View Post
Cheechako,
Who did you use when you had damage to your mast and hull?
It was West coast and many years ago. I think the trucker for one of them was... Western Boat Transport or something. He was not one of the bigger outfits.

Tags
florida