Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-03-2018, 05:18   #76

Boat: Sabre 38
Re: Thornless Path - 2017/2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErBrown View Post
Yeah we had a nice passage from Georgetown to Samana DR last week. Looks like there is a nice window for crossing the Mona this Thur/Fri but we're still enjoying the DR too much for that. We'll likely take the next window but want to give ourselves time to soak it all in. Been renting cars and exploring from Samana.

We've been impressed with how Beautiful the DR is. And of course, coming after 3 months in the Bahamas, it's nice to get back into the land of fruits and veggies. We've also found the locals to be very friendly and have had no issues with officials too date. Neither have any of the other cruisers we've spoken with, even those who have been here a couple months. I think the DR is aware of the wrap they've been getting and how it negatively affected tourism, so they've made it a pint to clean that crap up.

For our part, we're wishing we'd come here sooner. It truly is an amazing place.

-Erin

Completely agree. Went straight from TC to the marina here in Samana. We went to the National Park for a few days and are renting a car today to see a few waterfalls and other towns. Heading to PR tomorrow.

The moto-taxis are a blast.

s/v Carpe Ventum
1983 Sabre 38
My Intro
fallingeggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2018, 09:23   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpernick View Post
To your question regarding Salinas. We were there a couple of days ago. Marina de Salinas is a bit hammered, but open. Tiki bar is open. Anchorage is in good shape. Wrecks around the edges have been removed. There a a couple in the bay that are marked with floats.

Cell service is fine, bars and restaurants are hopping. No reason to skip Salinas.
Excellent info. Thanks.

s/v Carpe Ventum
1983 Sabre 38
My Intro
Old 21-03-2018, 08:06   #78
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Just a bit of an update on our travels. We are in the BVIs. Just got here this am. We sailed past the USVIs yesterday and anchored in a cove on the East end of St John last night. Very peaceful and secure. Because we sailed the North shore, and most of the development is in the South shore we can not comment on the recovery status.

We came into BVI at West End/Sopers Hole. This place is surrounded by 400-500 foot hills, fairly steep, it’s open to the West but there are mountainous islands within a mile. Off hand you would think this place pretty well protected.

The Customs building was gutted so they tore it down and are working under a tent. So far I see only one business open, a Coffey bar where we are getting this WiFi. Docks are in sad shape, buildings are standing but most are gutted and at least some have structural damage. The wash has undermined the foundations. The boat yard is full of catamarans, all one model, I presume it is catering to a charter facility.

As I sit here 11:00am in a Wednesday morning I hear NO construction, no hammers, no saws, nothing. One gets the sense this rebuilding is gonna take a loooong time.
hpeer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2018, 10:48   #79

FWIW... Ponce is a good stop.

- The anchorage near the yacht club is clear of wreaks. Just have a few abandoned boats on moorings that make anchoring a bit tight if you want to tuck in. 25 feet deep with good holding, so I don’t mind going a little shorter on the scope than normal (have about 135’ out and can swing among the moored boats). No wakes from the yacht club boats. Wind seems to be 5 to 10 knots less than whatever is a few miles offshore.

- Docks near the fishing club (far east end of bay, next to the yacht club) and the police station (for customs) are welcoming to cruisers.

- Fuel at the yacht club.

- A few tasty and cheap ($6) cafes near customs. Cheap beers ($1.50) at the restaurants near the yacht club. The boardwalk is destroyed, but still a lot of seating where you can watch your boat.

- $6 to $8 Uber to the town center. Maybe $10 to provisioning.

- Will be renting a car from here to explore the island for a few days. Will lock the boat and dinghy tight, but I don’t think safety is an issue here. Only people I see around the water are from the clubs or SUPing (there appears to be a SUP racing club that practices out of here; I’ve picked up a few great tips from Jan).

Stephen
sv Carpe Ventum
sailingcity2sea.com

s/v Carpe Ventum
1983 Sabre 38
My Intro
Old 23-03-2018, 05:58   #80

Boat: IP 40

Howdy Stephen, we where in Puerto Bahia marina in Samana while y’all where there. Currently anchored near Punta Montalvo on the south coast of PR. We slowly heading towards Ponce to provision and pick up some replacement parts that are being shipped there and should arrive Tuesday.

Good to hear that Ponce is a worthwhile stop in its own right. We’ll be checking out Gilligans Island tomorrow and maybe Sunday night before heading into Ponce Monday. Then hoping to checkout Isla de Muertos, Spanish Virgins, and on to USVIs. Maybe we’ll see y’all again along the way.
Old 23-03-2018, 13:56   #81

Quote:
Howdy Stephen, we where in Puerto Bahia marina in Samana while y’all where there. Currently anchored near Punta Montalvo on the south coast of PR. We slowly heading towards Ponce to provision and pick up some replacement parts that are being shipped there and should arrive Tuesday.

Good to hear that Ponce is a worthwhile stop in its own right. We’ll be checking out Gilligans Island tomorrow and maybe Sunday night before heading into Ponce Monday. Then hoping to checkout Isla de Muertos, Spanish Virgins, and on to USVIs. Maybe we’ll see y’all again along the way.
Good to hear. Will look out for you. Just so I'm not accused of over hyping - Ponce is ok for a few nights, but it isn't neat like Rancon or San Juan. Cheers.

s/v Carpe Ventum
1983 Sabre 38
My Intro
Old 24-03-2018, 16:07   #82

Boat: Beneteau 50.4

Hi Every One,
What a nice thread......thanks.
I am presently in Providenciales, T&C. I am planning to go to Grenada for the hurricane season. Would like to haul out the boat and just come back in November. There is 3 boatyards there. Is one of you had a good or bad experience with one of them ?

It will be the first time that I will sail to the Caribbean. Around April 10 th, I would like to sail from Salt Cay and directly to Boqueron. Is it a good strategy ? Some interesting points I should know ? It will look like a delivery......will visit and enjoy more at the end of the year.

Every time we sail, we are always alone at sea. Is there someone else who is planning the same route at the same time ?

It is very interesting to read this thread.

Regards
Brunet27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2018, 16:33   #83

Boat: Sailboat

Quote:

We are a couple days behind you, just cleared into Puerto Real, came from Samana.

If I may ask: Who do you send your parts to and via what delivery service? I am planning to send some crucial parts to Ponce also.

Thanks
Dirk
LeaseOnLife is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2018, 16:47   #84

Boat: IP 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaseOnLife View Post
We are a couple days behind you, just cleared into Puerto Real, came from Samana.

If I may ask: Who do you send your parts to and via what delivery service? I am planning to send some crucial parts to Ponce also.

Thanks
Dirk
Nice, hope to see y'all soon.

We're sending them to the Ponce Yacht and Fishing club. I called them ahead of time to confirm their address and we're currently planning to grab a slip there, we wouldn't otherwise but we're ready to have depth info back One of the great things about PR is that USPS works here...at least as well as they work anywhere else. So we shipped a pair of DST transducers via priority mail for $30 with 2 day shipping, hard to complain about that.

Now we just hope they actually show up.
Old 25-03-2018, 06:12   #85
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Update on our observations.

Left Salinas to Sun Bay, Vieques. Entered at dark. No obvious damage here. But the wind went light to the North and the SMELL of ammonia was extremely strong.

Clubera showed little sign of damage.

Soopers Hole/West End was real torn up. Customs Building was gutted so the cleared the site and put up a tent. The coffee shop was open with WiFi. Pussers had an open sign and a few tables and chairs in the second floor but the stairs were blocked off. No ongoing construction around the waterfront. Buildings undermined won’t stand on air forever.

Nanny Cay
Good: The new basin looks to be 100%. Lots of high end boats, 2 new Gunn Boats. Reasonable slip fees. Diesel and water available in old basin. Most shore facilities such as market and chanderly fully stocked.
Bad: old basin still has a lot of sunk boats. Shore infrastructure has a lot of damage. They are operating but lots of repair to be done.
Ugly: I’ve read bad reviews of this place on AC. My experience only amplified those thoughts. Yamaha shop was insulting, arrogant and ignorant. I experienced it as a assault on my character. Nuf said. To be sure there are wonderful people who work here. But I observed some rather poor interactions in my short stay. I ran away.

Buck Island/Fat Hog Bay
Salvage crews are still clearing the many wrecks. The RiteWay and chanderly were open.

Gorda Sound
Got in last night. Levrick Bay complex seems to be in full operation. Fuel/water/internet. Bar report is that Saba Rock and Bitter End show no signs of reconstruction yet. Branson’s Mosquito Island complex looks like it is being completely renovated if not rebuilt in places.
Old 29-03-2018, 11:56   #86

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

We just did the I-65 route from Bahamas to St. Barts this past week. Awesome sail with only 24hrs of motoring sailing needed due to head winds and not wanting to tack our way into St Barts. Two Northerners off the East Coast kept the wind on the beam or aft pretty much the whole trip (10-low 20s knts).

Matt

Matt
Old 29-03-2018, 17:18   #87
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Good for you Matt. Any hurricane damage, are services available?

We are in St Kitts having motor sailed in light winds down from Virgin Gorda. No hurricane damage here. Not much in the way of services either. But there is an new high end development on the southern peninsula, houses built right of the top of the ridge. Clearly a good strong storm will gut them.

I was highly surprised to go through a tunnel in the mountains to get to the southern developments. Ever expected a highway tunnel in the Caribbean.
Old 30-03-2018, 13:08   #88

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
Good for you Matt. Any hurricane damage, are services available?

We are in St Kitts having motor sailed in light winds down from Virgin Gorda. No hurricane damage here. Not much in the way of services either. But there is an new high end development on the southern peninsula, houses built right of the top of the ridge. Clearly a good strong storm will gut them.

I was highly surprised to go through a tunnel in the mountains to get to the southern developments. Ever expected a highway tunnel in the Caribbean.
Already down to St Kitts? You're moving fast now!

No damage here, but a few new plams have been planted; possible due to hurriacane damage.

We haven't needed to go to a marina, but they all seem to be up and running well. Nothing much to report.

Matt
Old 04-04-2018, 05:18   #89

Boat: 40' Jeanneau

Does anyone have recent experience (last couple of years) stopping at Jacmel and/or Ile A Vache on the south coast of Haiti? What are current conditions? Thinking of stopping there on the way from Caribbean back to U.S. east coast this spring/summer.
Tia Bu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2018, 07:37   #90
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

After St Kitts we went through Guadeloupe, stayed at Deshaies. No hurricane damage.

Then to Dominica, our favorite island so far. We have been in Portsmouth just a week and will be miving again soon. From a cruisers point of view things are operational. PAYS is functioning very well, Indian River tours are on going. We took a guided tour of the island. Well worth it just so you don’t have to deal with the roads.

The island was hit very hard by Erica in 2015 and had not recovered from that. Eric was a rain event and took out bridges, they are still out. Maria was wind and rain. The wind must have been fierce. Just this morning I was looking at a house that had metal window covers and a well constructed roof, hurricane tie downs and actually a perimeter metal band around the header. Dry propped construction. Despite this the entire roof had ripped off. Gone, house gutted. Another place I saw the metal roofing is several houses strew up the hillside ABOVE the houses. The wind must have swirled through the valleys in every which direction. Many roads have sever washouts. Frankly outlet our this drive over some spots I would not have dared to go.

But for a cruiser there is no reason to not come here. It’s a truly beautiful island.