Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-01-2011, 18:49   #31
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchaps View Post
Now, I'm moored in Marathon City Marina...

If you get a chance, there is (was?) a great little hole-in-the wall Cuban restaurant on Big Pine Key West of you. At least it was there several years ago when I was buying my boat. I sure hope it is still there. Maybe some other folks in here can advise.

Going West, go to the traffic light on Big Pine Key, turn right 45 degrees down Key Deer Blvd. There will be a shopping center on the right. Towards the left end was a little diner. They served breakfast and lunch. If I remember correctly they were closed Monday. Ask what they have on special.

First time I went, after I ordered the special (on advice of someone else there), she made some Cuban bread. As she put it down, she said "It's better when it's hot." She walked a coupla steps, turned back, and in a stern voice said "EAT IT, NOW!" She was right. I had a pork chop in a bowl of rice with a fried egg on top and then gravy over that. Absolutely wonderful. I went there two meals a day for the 3 days I was there.

-dan
dacust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2011, 17:48   #32

In southwest Florida, the regular sealife on dock pilings etc. Sounds about like a crackling pine campfire all night long. Pistol shrimp can be heard swayed from pilings in relatively open water. Anchor in a place like Terra Ceia Bay and the pistol shrimp might start around sunset for an hour and then eriely and suddenly stop all at once. They are really loud; like someone hitting your hull with a hammer. Keep one in an aquarium and you would swear that the glass exploded in the night.
chessiewade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2011, 19:13   #33
cruiser

it does sound like glass cracking...
Bergovoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2011, 19:20   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergovoy View Post
it does sound like glass cracking...
Suppose some will say "the sound of glass cracking" sounds like the sound that pistol shrimps make.
Laidback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2011, 21:04   #35
cruiser

although i am sure that sounds may sound a little odd and or discomforting while on a boat, it is a different thing when you have a couple hundred gallon tank on your living room floor...with thousands of dollars of organisms that will die and stink...

glass cracking is a bad bad thing...
Old 27-01-2011, 21:19   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergovoy View Post
although i am sure that sounds may sound a little odd and or discomforting while on a boat, it is a different thing when you have a couple hundred gallon tank on your living room floor...with thousands of dollars of organisms that will die and stink...
glass cracking is a bad bad thing...
Agree, if that happened in a boat, it could be even worse!
Laidback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2011, 22:05   #37
cruiser

does that happen in boats? Critters can eat.wear thru a hull? or is it just some tyhpe of stufctural failure?

andyea, rather to have my house flooded then to lose my boat to davy jones locker
Old 27-01-2011, 22:55   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
My first apartment, one of the roomates kept oscars. One of his larger aquariams exploded in the middle of the night. We saved the oscars but the card section in the drugstore downstairs didn't fare quite so well!

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2011, 23:51   #39

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1
I had a similar problem, louder, albeit easier to decipher, in Morro Bay, Central California. After we began living aboard we were awakened nightly by a series of loud bangs on the hull between 11:00pm-3:00am. It took us a couple of weeks to figure out that the ubiquitous otters were using our hull as an inverted anvil in order to break the shells from their geoducks.
We gathered a long water hose and shooed the otters away that were within hose nozzle range. It seems that a sharp burst of water on the surface next to a backfloating otter can really tweek a little furry mind in a hurry.
There was, for months after, an otter free zone about 50 yards from my boat. We had a twice yearly refresher course and we slept soundly for ever more.
I have no information on shrimp scaring. I suppose a few drops of Tabasco in the water might give them something to think about?
sww914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2011, 00:25   #40
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
we had dingle thunk one day while sitting in manatee river at anchor last year-- went out and looked around-- saw a pelican shaking his head and flying with a bit of a wobble. went back to my book-- THUNK again--- went out same silly burd.. he did this 4 times before stopping... musta had a helluva headache-- i never saw a pelican slam into a boat before.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2011, 00:56   #41
cruiser

mantis shrimp - Google Search

just in case no one has seen a mantis shrimp before... they friggin awesome cool looking...

they have eyes like bees and flys.. segmented... and thier vision is super sharp...
Old 28-01-2011, 01:00   #42
cruiser

Dark Roasted Blend: Mantis Shrimp Attacks