Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-07-2015, 09:58   #1

Boat: Catalina 30
Step 1: convince wife. Step 2.....?

I finally have hit a major mile stone with my wife!!!!

After 14 years of being together I have finally worn her down (i.e. convinced her it's a good idea) to look into the possibilty of moving to the caribbean. The 10 second back story to all this is we have a 3 year old and a 3 month old and have taken in our 15 year old niece from a troubled home. It wasn't until the niece moved in that my wife finally started to turn a corner when she saw what public schools and 24 hour electronic devices were doing to growing kids.

So thinking that an unplugged, multi cultural, home schooled life might be better, we are starting the tentative research stage into what our options are and how feasible it is to make this happen. The rough time frame at a minimum is 3-4 years once my niece has moved out, possibly longer depending on finances and unknown circumstances that may develop (aka life) etc...

Being U.S. citizens my first thought is looking into the USVI, particularly St Croix. My wife is a Physician Assistant in cardiology and I know St. Croix has a hospital she could potentially work at. I by trade am an Aircraft Mechanic but currently work as a Service Advisor at a car dealer.

So down to the Million dollar question(s). Does anyone out there have info, knowledge, or directions, about finding employment? (I am assuming employment for us is much easier in the usvi but would like to know if different). Are there other islands to look at that you recommend that we could both find jobs on. Is it possible to enroll our kids in school down there should we decide to stop home schooling? And lastly (for now anyways) What is the potential housing situation like? She as of now is leaning towards a condo and a smaller sail boat. I am pushing (read begging ) for no condo and a much bigger boat to live on.