Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-2015, 18:59   #31
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Re: Sailing For Culture: Help Save my Cruising Dream

Thanks for the info on museums and such, that is the kind of thing I was looking for.

Rognvald,

It's not that my path is to satisfy her, but to have something more concrete we can look forward to.

Hopefully our adventures will continue.

We have been looking at taking the small boat back to Newfoundlnd via the
Down East route through the Erie Canal, St. Lawrence, Magdaleens, the East coast of Quebeck, and so forth back to Lewisporte eventually.

That won't be this coming year, but not too far off either.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 19:34   #32
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

That post on the maritime museums got me to google the topic and I found this which has a list of such museums in the US.

Location Map & State Listing | CAMM
Old 03-03-2015, 21:10   #33

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Quote:
You can't find cultural tourism in Philadelphia?
Maybe not but seeing he is iced in he could find an airport and probably a direct flight to Paris (France that is).
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 14:24   #34

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
Thanks for the info on museums and such, that is the kind of thing I was looking for.

Rognvald,

It's not that my path is to satisfy her, but to have something more concrete we can look forward to.

Hopefully our adventures will continue.

We have been looking at taking the small boat back to Newfoundlnd via the
Down East route through the Erie Canal, St. Lawrence, Magdaleens, the East coast of Quebeck, and so forth back to Lewisporte eventually.

That won't be this coming year, but not too far off either.
Hpeer,
I hope you know that my comment was meant with all due respect and the best intention. However, considering the ten years we lived aboard full time as a reliable indicator, it is difficult not to become cynical when you see, in the vast majority of instances, the woman killing the man's dream for adventure. Any small differences will become greatly magnified once you're together 24/7 on a sailboat--whether 30, 40, or 50 feet. The most important element of a couple's successful adventure/cruise is to have a sound, healthy relationship before leaving. If it is not, I will stand by my original comment. Another consideration is that once cruising, there will be much down time making repairs, waiting for weather/favorable winds, the need to prepare meals in advance, preparing chartwork, tide charts and seeking alternative anchorages based upon weather. If you are not the one preparing the work, you should be able to happily keep yourself entertained/occupied(music,reading,painting/drawing,etc.) during these periods without easy access to external stimulation. I wish I had a dollar for everytime we saw a woman jumping ship from Florida to the Caribbean. It is usually not a pretty scene. Good luck and good sailing. P.S. if you make it to Miami drop me a line for some great "cultural" activities--you'll never be bored in that city or then again, we might just bump into you in Newfoundland/Labrador--hopefully well distant from any ice. In any event, good luck, good sailing and happy adventures.
Old 04-03-2015, 14:48   #35

Wilmington, NC and see the USS North Carolina. Seen her several times but never have enough time during one stay to see every thing I wanted to see. They do tours every once in awhile that cost a bit extra but they give you access to areas of the ship not open to the public.

Charleston, SC and see Patriots Point and pay particular attention to the destroyer, USS Laffey. Never been there but I we keep trying to go.

Savannah, GA. The town, like Charleston, would be nice to visit but rent a car/cab to see the Eighth Air Force museum. We have seen the museum at least twice and need to stop a few more times. The museum is next to I95.

St Augustine, FLA and see the fort and the old town.

I have never been much for them thar painted pictures as you can tell from my previous list. Everyone seems to rave about that Mona Laura, Mona Liza, Mona Lisa, whatever her name is, picture over in France and she is right fetching, and very well done, but they say it is really a painting of the painter.

Now, that S. Dali dude has some really out thar painted pictures and it is well worth seeing his museum. Just don't drink anything before seeing his painted pictures since you will see different paintings in the same painted picture sober. I have no idea what one would see after having a few drinks.

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2015, 20:24   #36

Hey, I represent some of these remarks, "the wife dashing the sailing dreams"
I'm the one fanning our new life plan, at 62 yrs young, of getting another bigger boat - "I think we're gonna need a bigger boat!"
We're right now working on selling our farm in Ohio, moving to Florida, and doing as much boating as we can possibly do. As an ex contractor & electrician, guess I'm not the typical female - I love doing maintenance & repairs on boats; helped redo an oldy but goody 1985 Searay Sundancer 26 footer. My husband is actually the one saying, "you on those boating websites again?"
Can hardly wait, but figure it will be a good yr before we are doing the actual boating thing. Compromise and being sensitive to BOTH desires & wishes helps. I'm not much a fan of whiny, selfish women - or men. Being that we met in scuba class 43 yrs ago, been together ever since, we kinda have the same likes interests.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Scubacarole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2015, 17:24   #37
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Early in Feburary we went to The Rock (Newfoundland) for my Aunts 90 birthday bash in Gander. First you fly to St. John's, then rent a car for a 4 hour drive. It's kinda like flying to Philadelphia for a party in Richmond.

Damn if it wasn't warmer there than here, again! Been that way most all winter these last two years.

We live aboard (if I haven't already mentioned this) here in Delaware half time. Work a week in Philadlphia, off a week in Delaware and on the boat. I guess if we can survive this winter we will be alright once we get under way. We got froze in hard, lasted a couple of weeks.

I retire full time in December, 2015. Hope to heave off then or within a couple of months, if I have to do a fixer up on the apt. we will rent out. This summer will be more fixing and preps, and then hopefully a longish cruise on the Chesapeake. Sort of a shake down as we got a newish Genoa and anchoring platform and anchor and chain.

I'll be outta here in 2016 if I have to break ice. Just like Labradore in May. Which isn't so far fetched as they have closed the northern limits of the Chesapeake due to excessive ice. Glad to have a 1/4" steel hull!

Then summer 2017 we take the small boat back up to the Rock, via Erie Canal. Then we will have one boat North and one boat South. Woooo Hoooo!

Tags
cruising, sail, sailing