Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-01-2014, 06:50   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser
Re: Safe & secure on board šLocked inš

My wife makes me lock the doors. Never had a problem in Bahamas down as far as Antigua. We have had intruders three times. 1X at Royal Hamilton Yacht Club(drunk cops), 2X at Toronto Island and know of three incidents at Port Credit Yacht Club. So much for safer Canada.
Old 27-01-2014, 06:58   #17

Boat: Slocum 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Yes, the world has changed. It has become, on average, a lot safer. From the latest UN report: "World crime trends and emerging issues...":

"Data from 2011 on property-related crime, violent crime and drug-related crime confirm trends observed over the past 17 years. Levels of property crime continue to slowly decrease, while drug-related crime continues to increase (see figure 1). Average trends with regard to violent crimes are stabilizing, with different patterns seen in different regions.

This does not change the need, in some places, to lock your doors and keep your property and yourself secure. We have a basic latch to lock the companion way from the inside. We've never used it so far, but that's b/c we currently cruise in remote areas of the Great Lakes. I would use it in more urban areas, and am looking at building a metal grate to be used as travel further south.
Yup, that's an organization I'll put my trust in.... Not

I do agree with your last para. Use comon sense.
Pirate999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2014, 08:21   #18

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

We always lock up for the night. Just leave some vents open.
Always lock the car.
Always lock to home.
Always wear seat belts.
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 12:17   #19

Boat: Beneteau 411

"Those who would trade liberty for security will lose both and deserve neither " Ben Franklin

Anybody that needs my stuff bad enough to want to steal it can have it... I'm not going to worry about it and I'll get more.
tryrsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 12:23   #20

Boat: Grampian 26, Mercury 15, Formosa 41

[QUOTE=tryrsh;1482533]"Those who would trade liberty for security will lose both and deserve neither " Ben Franklin

Anybody that needs my stuff bad enough to want to steal it can have it... I'm not going to worry about it and I'll get more.[/QUOTE

Would you be willing to throw in free shipping? If so I'll take it! :-P

Sent from my SGPT12 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Ryan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 12:41   #21

Touché!!!
Old 03-03-2014, 12:46   #22
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryrsh View Post
"Those who would trade liberty for security will lose both and deserve neither " Ben Franklin

Anybody that needs my stuff bad enough to want to steal it can have it... I'm not going to worry about it and I'll get more.
I don't think Ben was referring to an open door policy, to come in and take whatever you like whenever you want when he wrote that. He was most likely thinking a little deeper.

Last year when my wife and I returned a laptop computer to one of our tenants which had been stolen by a heroin addict during a daytime break in, he said the exact same thing to me as I handed it back to him, "anybody that needs my stuff bad enough to steal it can have it.... I'll get more.". That, instead of a "thank you."

Honestly... I'll never understand the "I'm a doormat, come in and take whatever you want" mentality.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 13:37   #23

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
I don't think Ben was referring to an open door policy, to come in and take whatever you like whenever you want when he wrote that. He was most likely thinking a little deeper.

Last year when my wife and I returned a laptop computer to one of our tenants which had been stolen by a heroin addict during a daytime break in, he said the exact same thing to me as I handed it back to him, "anybody that needs my stuff bad enough to steal it can have it.... I'll get more.". That, instead of a "thank you."

Honestly... I'll never understand the "I'm a doormat, come in and take whatever you want" mentality.
Ya...no kidding. Although I would be considered by some as a pacifist, I work hard for my stuff and do not want some dirt-bag taking it. Although I rarely lock my boat, it's only if I leave it longer that 4 hours. But I do stay in safe places with low incidences of petty crime. Strangely, the only time I have been ripped off is after loaning so called friends money when they are in a bind. Then never paying me back or returning phone calls.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 13:47   #24

Do you guys think Lady Pippa Blake would agree you? Do your wives agree that your stuff is that important? Just curious.
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 13:50   #25
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Although I would be considered by some as a pacifist, I work hard for my stuff and do not want some dirt-bag taking it.
Pacifist? No I don't think so. You sound more like Ben Franklin, Tom Jefferson, I, and most of the cruisers we meet... Libertarians. Live and let live, mind one's own business and don't take stuff that isn't yours.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 14:44   #26

Oh don't misunderstand; someone comes onto my vessel uninvited with the intent of helping themselves to my things, I'll make a proper show of myself. They may leave with my property, but all involved will be the worse for the experience. What I'm saying is if someone makes off with my property while I'm not aboard I'm not going to stress over it and further I'm not going to inconvenience myself (give up my liberty) to stop them. God help anyone that try's to make off with my things while I'm aboard though ...
Old 03-03-2014, 14:54   #27

Agree 100%. Will most people be robbed several times in their lives? Yes. Is it worth obsessing over, with self-inflicted stress and anxiety? No. Be sensible and carry on. When you get robbed, don't worry about it much. It is just stuff. I will take occasional robbery over perpetual stress any day.
RainDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 14:58   #28
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

love this place .. dont have to stifle self inside a closed boat at night. air flows freely and sleep is excellent.
except when bubba fell into lagoon........
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 15:14   #29

An outboard motor and a couple of fancy watches. So worth not feeling like someone thinks you're a doormat.

Peter Blake (yachtsman) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 15:14   #30

Boat: Caliber 40 LRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainDog View Post
Agree 100%. Will most people be robbed several times in their lives? Yes. Is it worth obsessing over, with self-inflicted stress and anxiety? No. Be sensible and carry on. When you get robbed, don't worry about it much. It is just stuff. I will take occasional robbery over perpetual stress any day.

WTF? Most people will be robbed several times in their life? What do you do, walk around with a kick me sign on your back? It's just stuff, but it's my stuff, not theirs. And believe me, I have no stress or anxiety about it and I certainly don't obsess over it because I know there's always an easier target for them and it's you.
Red Sky is offline   Reply With Quote