Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-07-2007, 12:53   #1

Boat: temporarily boatless...
passage south from Barnes Sound, 5-1/2' draft

Still planning this August 5-day trip into the unfamiliar (to me) waters of the Upper/Middle Keys. I can't tell from my charts if there is enough water to get through this area on the inside with 5-1/2 feet of draft. There is a passage that looks like it is marked as "Dusenbury Creek" and then "Grouper Creek," but I can't really make out the depth. The only reason for staying inside is finding a protected anchorage for this first night on the way further south from Miami Beach Marina. So info about either the inside passage or outside anchorages (preferably both) would be welcomed.

And yes, I know it's hurricane season...

Thanks, Pete
pete33458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 19:36   #2

How about no name harbor on Key Biscayne instead...then on to Rodriguez key anchorage the next day. 5.5' is what we carried when down there and it is dicey inside. We stayed in the Hawk...after Rodriguea...Boot Harbor in Marathon then a long day to Key West.
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 06:17   #3

Boat: temporarily boatless...
Thanks Camaraderie: No Name isn't quite far enough, we're coming out of Miami so it's only about 1-1/2 hours of sailing. Regarding Rodriguez Key, info that Gord May previously forwarded states that "Behind Rodriguez Key (is) terrible in unsettled weather. Holding ground stinks. Be very careful, not recommended."

I take it this is not your experience? Please let me know. thanks, pete
pete33458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 06:18   #4

Boat: S2 11.0A
We followed a similar route through the Hawk channel returning from the Bahamas to Texas with a 5.5 ft draft. Rodriguez Key is plenty deep but rolly if the wind is out of the East and nowhere to go ashore (we have dogs). Channel 5 has better protection but again nowhere to go ashore. Bahia Honda has a nice anchorage and a state park to explore. I would anchor outside Boot key harbor to the South if the weather permits. It's way to crowded for my tastes inside.
In Miami the Bayside Miamarina is half the price of the Miami Beach Marina. It's a nice marina surrounded by restaurants and shops.
If you have time make the run from Key West out to the Dry Tortuga's. It's worth it.
Enjoy your trip,
Dave
S/V Wind Dancer
Panama Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
draft