Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-03-2012, 08:48   #1

pirate One Month Left

We have enjoyed learning so many things from all of you on this site. Thank you!!

I just have a few last minute questions:

- is cash the way to go on the islands? Or credit cards?
- bring your own snorkeling gear or borrow from charter company?
- bring your child's own life jacket from home or borrow?
- do they sell "pull ups" & diapers in the stores in Tortola? Trying to go w/ only carry-on luggage. I could bring a few to get buy & then pick up the rest before we pick up the boat
- are beach towels from the Moorings sufficient or do we need to bring some from home
- are there any marina's where the children can avail themselves of a pool, just as a treat from the ocean? Perhaps included because we moored or docked someplace specifically??

All the best
Thank you
mojerzgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2012, 09:11   #2

Re: One month left

- is cash the way to go on the islands? Or credit cards? I would have both. But cash rules! You might notify your CC company you are going so they dont stop the card usage.
-
bring your own snorkeling gear or borrow from charter company? Definitely bring your own if you like to snorkel. Good gear makes a difference. In Fl I found the same brand/model and quality complete snorkeling set at Wal-Mart for 1/2 the price at a dive shop. If you like high end go to the dive shop. PS: you dont neessarily need those big stiff long fins. A proper fitting set of rubber slip on fins is great. In fact I prefer them for snorkeling comfort.
- bring your child's own life jacket from home or borrow? Not sure, might just bring it.
- do they sell "pull ups" & diapers in the stores in Tortola? Trying to go w/ only carry-on luggage. I could bring a few to get buy & then pick up the rest before we pick up the boat Dont know. Suspect they are available, but are they available close to the marina? Throw away diapers will build up pretty fast on a longish charter also..?
- are beach towels from the Moorings sufficient or do we need to bring some from home I've never brought them with the Moorings, but it's been a while. If they dont look adequate you might ask for more. Either way you are going to need to do towel management; hang on the lifelines to dry etc.-
are there any marina's where the children can avail themselves of a pool, just as a treat from the ocean? Perhaps included because we moored or docked someplace specifically??

Dont forget hats, sunglasses and something warm; jacket, sweater...

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2012, 13:14   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43

As far as bringing snorkel gear it's a pain in the #$$ to bring on a plane. It's heavy and bulky. However my experience has been that "rental gear" is good for a few minutes if you're lucky. After that the leaks, breakages and poor fit make snorkeling unpleasant.

I'd suggest hunting round and trying a few types on. I prefer the medium length full foot floating fins as one can gently put a foot on a bit of coral or even nudge a sea urchin without ruining the holiday. Face masks should be checked for fit by seeing if they held onto the face without the strap by sucking through the nose. Basic snorkels are more reliable than the fancy ones. If you do get a fancy one bring a backup.

For me, trying on stuff in a rental shop is one of life's less enjoyable experiences, and then it has to be returned...

Don't forget sun protection shirts for wearing in the water and childrens' blockout cream.

My limited experience of life jackets has been that children are very difficult to fit. I'd suggest taking them into the store and "guiding" their selection. One with a crotch strap is going to be better than one without, but a good fit should be the first priority. I've found that life jackets are remarkably easy to pack!
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2012, 13:45   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Boracay makes a good point about snorkelling gear. I would compromise and buy the mask at a good dive shop. Everyone has a different shaped face, some masks fit, some will leak. Spending some time before the holiday in a dive shop will make all the difference in the water. A snorkel is a snorkel and fins, well you will be flying with enough stuff so perhaps borrow or rent.

I have been a diver for 25 years. If I can't take all my kit when going away I take my mask and dive computer, the rest can be borrowed.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2012, 16:23   #5

Yep, all great advice. Especially the "full foot fins". Testing the mask is a must. The perimeter of the mask that contacts your face should be soft and feel like silicone... not hard plastic feeling. I assumed you knew all this but may have been a bad assumption.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2012, 18:04   #6

Boat: Jeanneau 57

I'll address just some of your questions that others haven't covered in detail. 6 hours ago I was still in the BVI, now I'm off island and returning to the cold, wet "real world".
- They have kids in the BVI as well, and the big supermarket is just a stone's throw from the Moorings base
- Almost all places take Visa/MC
- Pools at marinas are not too common. On Tortola I can think of Hodge's Creek, then the new facility on Scrub Island (pretty pricey, but awesome) and finally the marina at Leverick has a nice pool and if you join TravelTalk online in the BVI forum they might extend you a discounted rate for dockage.
Old 24-03-2012, 19:26   #7
LJH

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 42
Re: One Month Left

If you are going to rely on cash, once you leave Road Harbour the ATMS are not reliable. Sopers Hole, and Trellis Bay did not work when I was there.
You can find a pool at the marina in Nanny Cay (just west of Road Town). Nanny Cay also has the best showers in the BVIs!
LJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2012, 09:06   #8

Re: One Month Left

Thank you once again!! Great tips from all!!
mojerzgirl is offline   Reply With Quote