Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-08-2008, 07:04   #1
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast
New York City!

OK, Folks, as a "Left Coaster" from the Pac NW, I've never been to NYC (except the airport, and that doesn't count). However, we're presently in Baltimore (a very pleasant surprise, by the way, the Fells Point area and Inner Harbor have a lot to offer) and looking at being in NYC after Labor Day.

We're planning to go to the 79th St Boat Basin and have about 3 weeks before time to start heading south.

I would love to hear your suggestions for both visiting the city and any wise sailing advice you can give. For the latter, I'd like to know about cautions, as well as destinations within a day sail of the city.

Thank you, in advance.

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2008, 11:09   #2
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
ID,

All those NYC area sailors must be out sailing!
Old 23-08-2008, 13:18   #3
CF Adviser

No kidding, Hud!

Come on, folks! I know you're out there. (Sully, you lived a long time in NYC, right?)

ID

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Old 23-08-2008, 13:49   #4
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intentional Drifter View Post
No kidding, Hud!

Come on, folks! I know you're out there. (Sully, you lived a long time in NYC, right?)

ID
The Basics:

79th Street Boat Basin is a fine place to go see Manhattan from. Close to the subway, which is IMO the best way to get around the city. Buy a Metrocard at the station and go wherever you like.

The harbor will be busy and insane. Watch out for ferries (staten island ferry and jersey ferries).

Also, Liberty Landing marina is a great spot to stop (behind statue of liberty) because it is a nice, protected spot without any ferry wakes. They have their own ferry that takes you across to the financial district. A very easy way to get in and out of the city.

You can anchor behind the statue of liberty as well.

I won't comment on the East River because it sounds like you'll stay West and avoid it. Big currents there. If you go farther than the city into LI Sound, check out the many discussions on Hell Gate on this forum. They have all the info.

I don't know how old you are, so it's hard to suggest what to do in the city. The toursity stuff is ok, but there are a lot more interesting things to do in Manhattan aside from go to Times Square.

The city is also very safe. No worries about it being crazy. It's not. In my "average white guy" experience, it's good to stay below the 100's in street numbers. I was always a big fan of the LES (Lower East Side) and East Village. There are clubs galore on the west side (Pacha is a good one). Central Park, Guggenheim, Museum of Nat Hist are all must-sees.

Get pizza and bagels. Pizza is hit or miss, but Ray's whatever is usually ok.

If you want to blow cash on clothing for the missus (or sig other), but not break the bank, there is a little secret store with all the brand names in it called Century 21. It's right next to where the WTC used to stand. I don't suggest visiting that pit in the ground or construction site... not really something I enjoyed seeing tourists at after the incident.

Maybe for touristy stuff, check out Rockafeller Center, Wall St, Central Park, Grand Central, etc...

Watch out for cab drivers. If they sense you are a tourist (and they WILL ha ha ha), they will take you for a nice, scenic ride all over the city at your expense going from Point A to Point B. Know how to get where you are going and don't let the cabbie figure it out. 9 times out of 10 they will take you for a loooong ride. (or stick to subway for better authentic experience)

Wander around:

SoHo
East Village
Midtown East
Grand Central/Park Ave
Central Park
Greenwich Village
TriBeCa
LES

All interesting neighborhoods with something cool on just about every corner.

If you drop in your interests/hopes into this thread, I could better direct you, as could DefJef or others from the area.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2008, 13:52   #5
cruiser

Sailing Destinations:

NONE!

You are there to see the city. If not, you are either going to deep Jersey, the Long Island Sound, or up the Hudson for a day.

I can't say I recommend any of those as a good day sail destination.

Sailing Cautions:

Only the ferries and be sure not to bring any radioactive materials or linger under bridges (or above tunnels). It's a police state and they will be scanning you!
Old 23-08-2008, 13:55   #6
cruiser

One more thing:

If you have 3 weeks, visit the city for a few days and then head out East in LI Sound. Go for Sag Harbor, Three Mile Harbor, Port Jefferson, Block Island, etc... then come back from Block Island to NJ in a direct line, rather than going through LI Sound again. A trip WELL worth the effort. That is some to of the Northeast's best sailing grounds. Good winds, lots of characters and Block Island is something that really shouldn't be missed if there is a chance...

Ok... back to work for me.
Old 23-08-2008, 15:33   #7
CF Adviser

Ah, Sully -- THANK YOU!

So, does this mean I shouldn't bring my nuclear-powered cabin heaters? Darn.

ID

Old 14-09-2009, 05:32   #8

Boat: Westsail 32 and Herreshoff 28
Anchoring in the city is safe?
Is there secure dinghy dockage?
And for how many days is anchoring allowed?

How about the costs and availability for a 30' slip?
endoftheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2009, 06:09   #9
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
I almost moved to NYC this coming month. Google the Staue of Liberty, and follow the river east. Immediatley to the south is Liberty Marina, and as you go farther east. There is a marina, and bouys near the center of Central Park, and a walk away from the park.......i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2009, 11:29   #10

Boat: Maine Cat 41
79th St...

The 79th St Boat Basin is a NYC Park. For most cruisers passing through NYC and wanting to visit, the best option is to pick up a mooring. They are on a "first come, first served basis" - $30/day, $180/wk. The docks are reasonably secure and they have a night watch staff, whom we found to be nice and friendly. I believe the moorings are available until Oct. 31.

As Sully said, this is a great place to visit NYC from. A few blocks to the subway; there is a bike/hike path along the water with friendly, yes friendly(!) New Yorkers all over (or would that be ovah? - whateva!). Central Park is an easy walk. We felt safe our entire time there, even while riding our bikes through heavy traffic and the "crazy" cabbies.

Another option is to go up the East River into Flushing Bay (good name, huh?) and use the "other" city marina World's Fair Marina right by Shea Staduim.

Fair Winds,
Mike
YOGAO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2009, 12:20   #11

Boat: Steel trawler 63' Eileen Farrell
I grew up in the west village, New York is fabulous, and 79th st is a great location. The museums are fun, do the Guggenheim and than just walk all the way down fifth ave to Washington Sq park. The best Italian food in the US, try Gran Tachino on Thompson St. The kids today all live in Brooklyn, Manhattan is too expensive, so you may want to check that out. Either walk or take the subway if you're beat, it's an expensive town so stop at a deli or pack a lunch, parks everywhere. Staton Island ferry is free and a great harbor ride from the very foot of Manhattan. Bars stay open till 4 AM so if you party don't even start till 10. Have Fun! contact me if you need any specific information.
L
lorenzo b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2009, 16:52   #12

There's a new mooring field downtown I think in the village (below 14th street). I saw boats moored there in a mooring grid. They may have all been rental boats of owned by a club. I was driving by and didn't get a good look. I think the 79th street mooring field is now extending quite a ways north, but it doesn't look like a comfy anchorage. It does make me miss my own boat a 100 miles to the east every time I drive down the West Side Highway.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2009, 07:47   #13

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
- - For the New York City Marinas see: Marinas : New York City Department of Parks & Recreation
Also there are two private marinas down at the bottom of Manhattan on the Hudson River side but I cannot find any links to them.
- - For a "day sail" motorsail up the Hudson to the Tappan Zee Bridge and just on the west side is the town of Nyack. Fabulous small town to visit. There is free anchorage just off the town on the north side of the bridge. Guide books will help you find a dinghy dock or just cruise the dinghy up and down and find a place with a lot of dinghies tied up. It was not a problem for me. Be warned - it is best to follow the American Indian philosophy when in the Hudson River - - "go with the flow". That means for a boat go north on an incoming/flooding tide and south on an outbound/ebbing tide. The current is rather strong and my 6-7 knot boat could barely make 2 kts bucking the current but 10+ kts riding with it.
- - Two choices really for what to do after Manhattan - One head up the Hudson River as far as desired - "going with the flow" and see West Point, and tons of great little "former industrial" villages and towns. Lots of places to stop, tons of exploring and things to see. Lots of history, museums and tastes of the earliest Americans way of life.
- - Second choice is as mentioned by others head out into Long Island Sound and track either along the Long Island side or the Connecticut shore for a significant over-abundance of place to stop and explore. You could do the Long Island side eastbound to Block Island and then come back on the Connecticut side. Mystic Connecticut was one of my most favorites with their Maritime Museum. Get good up to date charts (available free from NOAA if you have a computer charting program) as there is a significant shoal area at the east end of Long Island running across to Connecticut and Rhode Island. Lots of hard rocks under the water but markers and charts are all very good and accurate.
- - Either way you go - it was fabulous for me and I am sure will be for you too. Tides are significant so have good tables. I anchored away from some towns/villages to ensure good clearance for anchor swinging and used a large dinghy gas tank to ensure I could get to and back from various places on shore. Plus with the dinghy you can cut across a lot of the flats that a boat cannot do - that saved significant time and trouble.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2009, 12:09   #14

Boat: Bristol 38.8
If you plan to head North from NYC, I'd suggest a stop at City Island at the foot of LI Sound. There are plenty of Marinas there, and it will give you an idea of what a diverse place NYC is. The Bronx isn't nearly as interesting as Manhattan (or even Brooklyn), but from City Island it's a short bus ride to the Bronx Zoo.

But you have to get through Hell Gate, and that's difficult when the tide is against you. The currents are very strong and you have to watch for the commercial traffic. But that's the route North in any event, unless you want to head East to the Shinnicock canal or round Montauk point.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2009, 12:18   #15

Boat: Maine Cat 41
City Island? Ugh! Lot of America's Cup history there, but we found it to be pretty ugly and dirty. Maybe we were there on a bad couple of days.
YOGAO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
new york, nyc