Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-01-2012, 13:17   #16

Boat: Lagoon 440
Re: miami to georgetown, bahamas

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
Assuming that your Wellcraft WA 23" ft boat draws about 2 feet of water on average - you have a very rare opportunity to do things that no other displacement boat - sail or power can do. That is run the entire Great Bahamas Bank from Bimini southeast to the west side of Andros and all the way south around Andros.

Then east across to Great Exuma and up the western side of the Exumas if you wish. Or you can continue east on the "Banks" to the Jumentos and Long Island.

That would be a seriously fabulous fishing and exploration trip. But I would suggest several 15 gal plastic fuel drums or a 55 gal fuel barrel or two. Or at least enough fuel onboard to do 300 nm - longest run would be 200nm with a 50% safety factor to get 300nm.

I have gone as far south on the west side of Andros as Cross Cays - and the area was delightful and very interesting. Fish everywhere.
Hi is there much ciguetara in the fish there? Pelagics/Reef fish.... Cheers Frank
Old 28-01-2012, 16:22   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Endeavour 42CC
Re: Miami to Georgetown - Bahamas

Contact one of the rack/launch facilities in Miami. They can use the forks to lift your boat off the trailer. Your trailer won't take a salt water bath. Then pay for parking at this private facility that will be much more secure than any public launch ramp. If you leave your truck/trailer at a public ramp, it won't be there when you get back.
gettinthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2012, 16:26   #18

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

Frankly speaking, there is little or no reef fish bigger than your hand left in most of the Bahamas. Beautiful waters, beautiful reefs, but fish - they ate them all. In any case, I would never eat a reef fish unless I saw a local still walking around who ate one yesterday.

However, in areas that even the Bahamians never get to you may find fish. Especially in the Jumentos (Ragged Islands).

Pelagics come into the "sounds" and sport fishing is big business in the Bahamas, so if you have the talent and "fishy thumb" (akin to a gardener's green thumb) you can catch some fine fish. Commercial fishermen work the western and northern edges of the Bahamas for some seriously big tuna, etc.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2012, 17:51   #19

I used to moor my Oday 22 right across from the Parrot Jungle Island (nr. Miami Motor Boat club.) If you want to park for a month there is a parking lot inside the Parrot Jungle Island that used to cost about $6.00 per day. The meters at the marina cost 10.00 per day. If you are adventurous you could park in the neighborhood across the bridge (Overtown) for free. Another option is to find someone in the forum that is a Miami resident that will let you park your vehicle at their house or business. Our marine salvage yard (www.donsmarinesalvageyard.com) is about four hours from Miami but we would consider keeping your car in the parking lot provided you came back for it..
adanob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2012, 18:19   #20
Marine Service Provider

Location: floating around ... hopefully in aqua clear swimming pool water!
Boat: 1985 Passport 37

Clarification ... I thought Hawaiian Slings were allowed -- the first regulations specify that they are OK and the last seems to say NO spears, doesn't discriminate between the speargun and a hawaiian sling. Can someone please clarify? THANKS! Jan & David

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
But read this before leaving for the Bahamas:

Bahamas Fishing Regulations

and the most recent - 2007 - modification to fishing in the Bahamas:

Even more restrictions from Bahamas!!!! - Spearboard Spearfishing Community

https://commutercruiser.com
sv Winterlude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2012, 19:27   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv Winterlude View Post
Clarification ... I thought Hawaiian Slings were allowed -- the first regulations specify that they are OK and the last seems to say NO spears, doesn't discriminate between the speargun and a hawaiian sling. Can someone please clarify? THANKS! Jan & David
That is the exact argument that appears on the "fishing" and "diving" websites for the Bahamas. In the "old" regulations Hawaiian Slings and pole spears were deemed okay, but in the 2007 revision to the law that was cited on a Bahamian diving/spearfishing website that exception has been removed and it appears now only "classical fishing" by non-Bahamians is allowed.

If somebody can come up with a newer revision to the law, great. Otherwise, this January 8, 2008 document (http://bahamasvacationsonline.com/PD...egulations.pdf) from the Bahamas Government in Section 48.1 (b) specifically prohibits any use by non-Bahamians of "a spear . . . "

As with a lot of references found on the internet, any Bahamas information less than a decade old is difficult to find. There are even websites still posting the old - before the one fee for everything $150/$300 - rates for entering the Bahamas.
Old 29-01-2012, 11:51   #22

Boat: Island Packet 380

Hawaiian Slings and pole spears are both allowed as long as no Scuba is used.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2012, 06:06   #23

Our family has been planning a three month cruise on our fountaine pajot mahi this is probably the only time we will have a chance while our kids are young to do this. Our plans were to start in puerto rico cruise puerto rico us and british virgin islands for two months and then spend last month traveling back home to pan handle of florida or as far as bahamas. 10 days ago our boat left with a captain to start transport to puerto rico and has just arrived in George town, Bahamas. heres the problem the captain advises that he doesn't have a weather window to complete the transport and wants us to send him home to Fl until a window presents itself. he found us a place to moor the boat. this of course changes our trip as we planned on meeting the boat in puerto rico on 14th of february and now have to adjust all plans. I dont know if i should search out different captain to continue the trip maybe someone more local or start our trip where it was supposed to end in the bahamas work our boat down to BVI and have it transported home. Im hesitant to make the crossing from Turks and Caicos to Dominican Republic without the help of a captain as Ive done a lot of coastal cruising but only done one over night crossing St. Petersburg, Fl to panhandle 24 hours. Does anyone have any advice.
1rkghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2012, 07:11   #24

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1rkghost View Post
Our family has been planning a three month cruise on our fountaine pajot mahi this is probably the only time we will have a chance while our kids are young to do this. Our plans were to start in puerto rico cruise puerto rico us and british virgin islands for two months and then spend last month traveling back home to pan handle of florida or as far as bahamas. 10 days ago our boat left with a captain to start transport to puerto rico and has just arrived in George town, Bahamas. heres the problem the captain advises that he doesn't have a weather window to complete the transport and wants us to send him home to Fl until a window presents itself. he found us a place to moor the boat. this of course changes our trip as we planned on meeting the boat in puerto rico on 14th of february and now have to adjust all plans. I dont know if i should search out different captain to continue the trip maybe someone more local or start our trip where it was supposed to end in the bahamas work our boat down to BVI and have it transported home. Im hesitant to make the crossing from Turks and Caicos to Dominican Republic without the help of a captain as Ive done a lot of coastal cruising but only done one over night crossing St. Petersburg, Fl to panhandle 24 hours. Does anyone have any advice.
It looks like your Captain is correct, looking at forecasts for the area. Why would another Captain endanger himself and the boat just to meet your schedule. Sounds like you hired a prudent Skipper. Weather delays are a common issue and keeping to a schedule is a recipe for disaster. That is the first lesson learned by seasoned cruisers and one that can be learned at significant costs. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2012, 07:40   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1rkghost View Post
Our family has been planning a three month cruise on our fountaine pajot mahi this is probably the only time we will have a chance while our kids are young to do this. . . .
After looking at the next 3 days NOAA wx fax charts I would also agree with your Captain and the post by Waterwayguy that this is not a good time to be heading east.

Looking at the long range (18day) GFS model forecast for that region it appears what you have now will be around until the 9th of Feb and then might improve. The word "might" is important as the veracity of weather forecasts that far out is rather low.

So why not take advantage of your boat being in Georgetown, Exumas, Bahamas and do an extensive cruise of the Far Bahamas Islands from the Exumas south and east? I have some friends down in the Exumas right now who is on their first time in the Bahamas and are loving it. They are just getting into the "good part" and you can a feeling for their experience here in their blogsite:
http://www.gaiahorizons.blogspot.com/

The southern and eastern Bahamas offer some of the best cruising and exploring that will rival anything found in the Virgins/Puerto Rico - except - for the access to 1st World amenities. Your boat is "perfect" for Bahamas cruising on the Banks and inter-island.
Old 30-01-2012, 07:42   #26

I totally agree that he made prudent decision that wasnt my question. My question was should i hire local captain to finish trip if weather window presents itself or try to time flights from jacksonville for current captain or advice on starting trip in georgetown and working towards turks and caicos for crossing. If we go with latter what advice does anyone have for us and if we go with local captain does anyone have anybody they recommend. I dont expect any one to beat against current wind and 7 to 10 ft seas with my boat or their lives at risk. So again any advice please
Old 30-01-2012, 07:48   #27

We eventually want to make it to puert rico as we have family and friends to visit but would consider spending month in bahamas as that was the plan for end of trip. Any advice on route and ultimately the crossing.
Old 30-01-2012, 08:52   #28

Hiring a "local" Captain I suppose means a Bahamian rather than a US Citizen. That may cause problems with your insurance company, if you are insured. It also raises problems with "Visas" for the Bahamian which would have to be resolved whereas a U.S. Captain would not have that consideration.

-If - the next good weather window might open mid-February or later, doing the route in the classical way (Bahamas, T&C, D.R., P.R., Virgins) makes sense. You can utilize the time waiting for that "weather window" exploring the Bahamas and the D.R.

But the whole thing is really a big "crap-shoot" as good weather windows historically come once every 4 or 5 frontal passages off the US southeast coast. So you may wait 2 days between "windows" or 2 to 4 weeks. I suppose it depends upon your good "Karma" with Mother Nature. Point is, if you "have to get there" more than likely Mother Nature will thwart your plans as best she can. Nobody knows. . .

The route is classical - get Bruce VanSant's "Gentleman's Passages South" or "Tricks of the Trades" for important background information on how to do it. Basically, the route is to go from Georgetown, Exumas to Mayaguana and wait for a window to cross to Provo in the Turks & Caicos.

Then move across to Long Cay on the eastern side of the Caicos Banks and wait for another window to head south (Long Cay to Great Sandy Cay to Luperon) to the D.R.

Then wait in the D.R. either at Luperon or Ocean World, Puerto Plata for a weather window to get to either Samana, D.R. or cross the Mona Passage to Mayaguez/Boqueron, Puerto Rico.

Then puddle-jump in the early mornings along the south coast of Puerto Rico to the eastern side. Beyond that it is easy.
Old 01-02-2012, 06:13   #29

Indiantown Marina is nice but not when you are in a small boat headed to the Exumas. Start in Miami. Try Craigs List for storage but be careful of scams. You have to have a cell phone which accepts SIM cards and buy one from BATELCO (Bahama Telephone Company). It is not cheap but cheaper than paying North American rates. You can buy internet access from private providers and use SKYPE also but wireless signals can be few and far between.
JollymonSouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 21:36   #30

getting closer to my departure date which is early May. Leaving Fort Lauderdale for Bimini, then on to Coulter Cays for a couple of nights to chill and do some fishing before heading to Nasseau and beyond. I was thinking of snuggling my 23' boat close to one of the cays and pitching a small tent there. any thoughts on the fishing, anchorage, safety issues would be appreciated. MIke
courtess is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas, georgetown, miami