Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-06-2014, 06:17   #1

Marine Warehouse Miami

I hope this is the right place to post this.

I wanted to write a testimonial for Marine Warehouse in case anyone searches for any info about them.

I recently had to purchase a new Windlass while cruising the western Caribbean. Tom Ladue from Marine Warehouse ended up helping me to get and get it shipped down to us. Unfortunately (and not their fault at all) Guatemala, delayed the customs beyond our time there (Tom sent every thing Guatemala asked for and rushed extra descriptions to us, but to no avail). Tom went above and beyond what you would expect someone to do, working to get another unit shipped to our next destination and then working to get the old unit back and fighting FedEx to refund all the shipment costs.

Tom never looked at me as a sale that already happened, but rather as a customer that still needed to be assisted. While it was still a pain trying to get shipments to the western Caribbean, Tom at Marine Warehouse sure helped us out as best as we could tell.

Again, I hope this was the appropriate place to post this

-Kevin
kkreeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 06:23   #2

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Re: Marine Warehouse Miami

I can also add that we have had excellent service from Marine Warehouse in Panama, and am brewing up another order for them to be delivered there. However, you had better options in Guatemala. There, you should have used Captain John's freight service or Almacen Naval. Marine Warehouse is not well-versed in shipping to Guatemala and is not local there (not their fault at all). We shipped in all sorts of stuff to Guatemala, many different times, and did not have a single hitch with shipping or customs using Captain John's freight service and Almacen Naval. You do have to pay taxes with Almacen Naval, but you have to order your stuff yourself with Captain John.

Again, we have had perfect service with Marine Warehouse in Panama and plan to use them again soon. I was just pointing out that for Guatemala, they may not be the best there.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 06:49   #3

Yes totally agree about Captain John in Rio Dulce. Unfortunately we shipped the part early to meet us there when we arrived so we didn't yet know about the challenges in shipping to Guatemala or how much better Captain John is until we got there and others told us about him
kkreeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 07:09   #4

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)

Thanks for the post, always nice to see the good and not just the bad.
Old 01-06-2014, 07:15   #5

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

For shipping anywhere I've lived or sailed its always best to "go local"....otherwise your odds of having problems are much higher. In most W Caribe countries FEDEX etc just deliver to a local agent...and that's where the problems start...had documents FEDEX'd to me in Belize once that took 2 weeks to get to me AFTER arriving in Belize.

In Guatemala, I've used TransCargo a lot (Captain John is a rep for them). Their customer service is not always great, but they get it there at a very competative flat rate (no additional charges for Customs etc) via surface transport (ship, so it takes a while). For lightwieght/small stuff I use CPXBOX. They provide shared air freight services so are much quicker, but more expensive (still radically less than FEDEX etc). Excellent customer service, but they are by the book so you pay the full monty on all duties.

In Panama, Marine Warehouse is hard to beat if you've got the time. They send down a container once a month by surface transport. Best to pickup in Colon if you can because in-country transport can cost as much or more than the original shipping (sending to Bocas for example). I've also used AirBox Express, similar to CPX above, with good results. They provide surface transport services too, but I've not used those yet. In Bocas del Toro, MBE provides excellent, but expensive, service.

In Belize, you need what Belizeans call an "ally" in Customs or know someone who does. Without such, you will get royally screwed and inconvenienced.

My experience with Marine Warehouse has also been good and their prices are competative.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 07:25   #6

Marine Warehouse also ships FedX with competitive rates. Don't they have a store in Bocas? Do they charge that much more to ship things there? This may change our cruising plans a bit.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
Old 01-06-2014, 07:38   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Marine Warehouse also ships FedX with competitive rates. Don't they have a store in Bocas? Do they charge that much more to ship things there? This may change our cruising plans a bit.

Mark
Marine Warehouse's agent in Bocas is Boacs Marina. Surface shipments arrive in Colon and are then forwarded from there (at additional local shipping costs which Marine Warehouse will quote you). You then pick them up at the Bocas Marina office (nice folks). IIRC, it cost me $140 to get my windlass and other items from Colon to Bocas. But, best to discuss specifics of your order with Tom.

They can of course FEDEX to wherever, but that gets spendy. You can also ship into Bocas via MBE Bocas (UPS), but at $20/kilo + duties that gets spendy fast too for anything other than small stuff.
Old 01-06-2014, 07:44   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Tucker CA41 Steel 40 foot Ketch

+ 1 for Marine Warehouse Miami as well

We regularly use Marine Warehouse to order and consolidate consignment for us then use Transcargo (Captain John is their Rio Dulce agent) to ship the consignments down to Guatemala for us.

It takes from 2 to 6 weeks for the goods to arrive and seems to avoid the customs hassles at the Guatemala end.

Now shipping stuff by air from the USA to Guatemala is another story. Often not any quicker because of customs BUT always more expensive
Triumphant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 07:55   #9

...and on another thread the OP is wondering what we cruisers do all day.

Well here you have it: research parts, research shipping logistics, order parts, wait for parts, try to actually get parts in hand, then work on boat...unless of course you discover you got the wrong part...then you start all over again. Take wrong part to swap meet. Repeat infinitely.

While waiting for parts to arrive, spend hours/days searching local sources for other parts.

Yes, just like being on permanent vacation in paradise! ;-)
Old 01-06-2014, 07:58   #10

You forgot "break part"…

Mark

Old 01-06-2014, 08:49   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
You forgot "break part"…

Mark
Ah, always order at least 2!
Old 06-02-2020, 14:34   #12

I would like to add my positive experience from marine warehouse

I got quotes on a highfield dinghy from them and a local dealer

They were
A. Cheaper
B. Did not add ridiculous extra charges for “testing ($100)”, “title charges ($200), and “rigging ($500)”
C. Friendly and helpful

Can’t recommend them enough
Rowbags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 18:31   #13

Which Highfield did you order?
Old 06-02-2020, 18:59   #14

the ultralight 310. Por quoi?
Rowbags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 04:49   #15

Its new dinghy time, and Im considering a Highfield...and Marine Warehouse ships here (Panama) on a regular basis.

Tags
marine, miami