Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-10-2016, 09:03   #1

Boat: Dufour 40
Leaving a boat in he Windwards

Hi,

I am planning to leave my boat in the Windward Islands for about 10 days next February with one person left on board and am looking for a good place to do it. Requirements:

1. Access to international airport with good connection to Europe: Grenada, St Lucia or, at a push, Martinique.
2. Good security for boat and crew left aboard.
3. Doesn't break the bank.

Ideally marina, but haven't researched prices. Mooring ball, if secure and water taxi available would be fine. Anchorage if [U]very[U] secure and water taxi available would suffice.

Any ideas?
Lionelsole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2016, 09:26   #2

Boat: Jeanneau 57
Re: Leaving a boat in he Windwards

How about some of the northern islands, Guadeloupe is just north of Dominica -

Guadeloupe - Marina at Point-a-Pitre with very affordable rates and very secure. Airport has good connections to Europe.

Antigua - Falmouth harbour. Shore accessible via dinghy. Lot of cruisers around. ANU has several airlines to Europe.

St. Martin - anchor or take a ball in the lagoon on the French side. Everything accessible via dinghy with lots of fellow cruisers around. SXM has direct flights via KLM and Air France to Europe.
Old 20-10-2016, 17:38   #3

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40

If you want St. Lucia, Rodney Bay Marina world work. Marina not the cheapest but Jet Blue flies out of there so you might get your money back on airfare even if you pay up for the marina.
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2016, 05:39   #4

Boat: Jeanneau 57

Jet Blue doesn't fly anywhere in Europe, which is where the OP wanted to go.
Old 21-10-2016, 06:58   #5

Boat: Outremer 45/pdq36

Port Louis, in Grenada. Nice marina and international flights
admiralslater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2016, 08:47   #6

Port Louis, Rodney Bay, or Marin in Martinique are all good choices, if you want marinas with lots of services, restaurants etc.....but I would pick up a mooring ball in the SMMA around the Pitons/Soufriere in St. Lucia. Very friendly people - look up the head ranger there - Peter Butcher - who'd one of the friendliest officials I've run across anywhere. And make friends w/ one of the locals who can provide all the water or land taxi and guide services you might need (Peter can recommend/arrange, as well). It's a bit closer to the airport than Rodney Bay, and a lot more beautiful (few spots on earth more so)....and has great diving, snorkeling, hiking...and restaurants ashore nearby.

For European flights, though, Martinique may be the best....and, it's a very safe and clean island, with plenty of great food and wine.....not to mention mountains, waterfalls, beaches, rum distilleries.....and French culture (love it or hate it!)....

Another alternative would be Union Island in the central Grenadines. No international air service there, but easy puddle-jumpers from there to Barbados. And plenty to do there and with trips to the Tobago Cays, Mayreau and other nearby islands.

So many great choices.....so little time!
wcapital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2016, 09:07   #7

Boat: Dufour 40

Thanks to all responders. It gives me a starting point for further research. Any more suggestions welcome.
Lionelsole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2016, 09:48   #8

Boat: Beneteau Sense 46
pirate Re: Leaving a boat in he Windwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionelsole View Post
Thanks to all responders. It gives me a starting point for further research. Any more suggestions welcome.
Let me double on Guadeloupe Point a Pitre best prices in the Marina from all the Caribb I have left my boat, that includes St Martin French side Marina Fort Louis, Grenada Port Louis, Guadeloupe, Curacao Seru Boca Marina and Now Creen Cay Marina St Croix. good correspondence with Air France to Europe and American to USA or Seaborne to Puerto Rico and then plenty of Air connections to mainland US. One more thing Point a Pitre marina has a French Restaurant Row you eat like a Frenchman there.
Good Luck
Ernie on the Mary jane
sailon46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2016, 15:15   #9

Boat: Ericson 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionelsole View Post
Hi, I am planning to leave my boat in the Windward Islands for about 10 days next February with one person left on board and am looking for a good place to do it. Requirements: 1.Access to international airport with good connection to Europe: Grenada, St Lucia or, at a push, Martinique.2. Good security for boat and crew left aboard.3. Doesn't break the bank. Ideally marina, but haven't researched prices. Mooring ball, if secure and water taxi available would be fine. Anchorage if [U]very[U] secure and water taxi available would suffice.
Any ideas?
Try Sint Maarten or St-Martin where my Ericson 34 is. I'm at JC marina out of the water, but with somebody aboard you can anchor in the lagoon or outside on either side (Dutch or French) . Just be careful in the Lagoon or outside 'cause there are several good local swimmers who can snatch your dinghy faster than you can say "Where the f... is my dinghy?"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SXM.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	133397  
ALAIN97133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2016, 15:33   #10

Boat: Reinke S10 - 34' Alu Junk Rig Schooner
Grenada

Grenada is a great place - options:

1) Free: Anchor in the bay outside St. George. Plenty of other boats around if your liveaboard needs a hand and easy dinghy access to shopping.
Usually quiet except when the Carriacou ferry passes morning and evening :-)

2) Cheap: Prickly Bay - pay for mooring and "boat-sitting".

3) Economy marina: Grenada Yacht Club - cheap and friendly and very central.
Ask for recommendations at the gate for a local caretaker.
Perhaps Mike if you can understand his carib lingo ;-)

Recently many new cheap flight options has come up, often using JetBlue and US hubs: Miami, Ft. Lauderdale or NY.
Condor have flights direct to germany.
UK may be better reached with BA hubbing Port of Spain or Barbados

Tip: stop over in US on either way and stock up on electronics and other high value boat equipment that fits in the luggage. I recently saved 40% on complete Foruno nav setup!
Just FedEx to a store neat your accomodation.

Good luck!
Junk Viking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2016, 15:39   #11
Marine Service Provider

How about Secret Harbor in Grenada? Great spot and much more reasonable prices than Port Louis. Our office is now based in Secret Harbor - let me know if you have any questions about it.
LTDsailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2016, 16:24   #12

Boat: Reinke S10 - 34' Alu Junk Rig Schooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDsailing View Post
How about Secret Harbor in Grenada? Great spot and much more reasonable prices than Port Louis. Our office is now based in Secret Harbor - let me know if you have any questions about it.
Secret Harbour is a fine and quiet place if that is what you need.
It does break the bank and is kind of remote compared to the other options.
Plus caretaking and transport tends to be expensive-ish.

Do go visit Hilma if you are there, she is quite a lady and can tell many tales of cruising life :-)
Junk Viking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2016, 00:41   #13

Boat: Outremer 45/pdq36

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDsailing View Post
Sorry Chris, I forgot about Secret Harbour a very nice bay and I dingy ride to Hog Island
admiralslater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2016, 06:52   #14
Marine Service Provider

No problem Admiral. Port Louis is definitely the premier spot in Grenada, but Secret Harbor is making a comeback. Ground transportation from here is a bit more difficult, but at about half the price of Port Louis it isn't too bad. We really like how easy it is to get around to Hog Island and Clarke's Court from here by water. Great lunch over at Whisper Cove, Full Moon parties at Benji Bay and the occasional dingy concert at Le Phare Bleu.

The management at Secret has been doing a lot to make Secret Harbor a great place to spend time on the dock. They are offering free bus transport to the main bus stop, Sunday poolside BBQ, live music at the Secret Harbor Bar Fridays and what looks to be a really fun Halloween Party.

We are really enjoying it here. You will have to stop by and check out our new office when you get back!
Old 23-10-2016, 06:19   #15
Marine Service Provider

I guess it wouldn't be 'Secret Harbor' if everyone knew about it! It might also be referred to as 'Martins Marina'. It is located in Mt. Hartman Bay. The coordinates are 11.59.51 North, 61.44.56 West (Location of our friends Mike & Rebecca on Frost - from Zero to Cruising). It is at the south end of Grenada between Prickly Bay and Hog Island.

Probably the best cruising guide for this area is The Sailors Guide to the Windward Islands by Chris Doyle.

Tags
wind