Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-08-2009, 13:55   #1

Latest Date to Leave Annapolis for Winter?

Hey all,

I'm new the board and am thinking of living aboard in Annapolis while I go back to graduate school at St. John's College.

Does anyone live aboard year around in Annapolis or is it too cold?

If I only wanted to take classes in the fall, would mid to late December be too late to head south for the rest of winter and spring?

I'm assuming a number of people have done the Chesapeake in the summer and fall and headed south for the winter, so hopefully someone will have some good advice for me.

Thanks in advance,

Owen
OwenBradford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2009, 14:23   #2
Eternal Member

Owen,

It depends. You might get away with it, but you might not, too.

I've left Annapolis a couple of days before Christmas for a 160-mile trip down the Bay. Cold, miserable, but do-able. Last 30 miles were in pea-soup fog...couldn't even see the bow pulpit!

I've also left Washington, DC the day after Thanksgiving for a 1,000 mile trip to Florida via the ICW and happened upon the absolute worst weather along the Eastern Seaboard for many, many years. This was 1989. When after several weeks of absolutely atrocious weather we finally arrived in St. Augustine, FL, we ran into an ice storm and full gale force winds which closed I95 for two days. Yes, the Interstate 95 was closed for two days. In Florida. Two days before Christmas.

So, it depends.

Usually, it's good to leave the Chesapeake in early November. Mid to late December is really pushing it.

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2009, 14:44   #3

Boat: 58 Taswell AS
I left Annapolis the first week in December for Puerto Rico one year and had one one of the best sails of my life; but we were lucky. We almost always leave the first week of November.
speciald@ocens. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2009, 15:04   #4

Thanks for your quick reponses. I suspected that might be the case.

Based on your reponses, I also suspect that no one lives year on board year around in Annapolis.

If other's have feedback, please let me know.

Thanks,

Owen
OwenBradford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2009, 15:17   #5
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwenBradford View Post
Thanks for your quick reponses. I suspected that might be the case.

Based on your reponses, I also suspect that no one lives year on board year around in Annapolis.

If other's have feedback, please let me know.

Thanks,

Owen
i know of someone who lives on board there year round there but he works for epa and is a car nut and doesnt use cruising and sailing forums despite they have power boating sections...lol---
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2009, 15:45   #6
Eternal Member

Lots of people live on boats year round in the Chesapeake region. Several hundred in Washington, DC alone.

B.
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2009, 17:13   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
Does anyone live aboard year around in Annapolis or is it too cold?
I know folks on two different boats that do it and have for many years. Not for the timid. Some places shut down the water system so you have to run hose or haul it. They get real snow and ice, and the summer is pretty hot and humid. Spring and Fall however could be considered great with similar sailing weather too. Winter makes the logistics of daily life significant. You have to work at ordinary stuff. Do able definately.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2009, 18:12   #8

Boat: CSY33
Depends on the winter. Last winter was a bit yukky but the previous few were rather mild. I sail year round and the winter has some great sailing days. I'm now in a marina with a lot of year round liveaboards. Depends also on your boat. Is it insulated enough, or can it be, to facilitate having heat aboard w/o too much condensation?
Trekka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2009, 07:15   #9

Boat: 40 Schucker 'Marguerite'
Send a message via AIM to gtmopat1
I lived aboard Northern Potomac in both VA and MD while working in DC. Very do-able but you will need several important items.
1. A marina that doesn't freeze very often and uses de-icing bubblers to circulate the water. It is also nice if they de-ice the docks occasionally!
2. A long collection of water hoses to reach your boat from the dock when they shut off the water. I had 600 ft (4 150ft hoses) I kept in the car trunk.
3. Heat inside the boat. Reverse cycle with an optional electric heater worked for me along with a ceramic block heater or two for locational heat. This also results in a great electric bill every month. Diesel heater with ceramic blocks work too!
4. I have a motorsailor with a great 360 degree view from pilot house but if you don't have an above ground view I would also include an enclosure for cockpit.
5. Last but not least sweaters, blankets, and more sweaters and blankets because some days and nights it just gets really really cold!!
Pat
gtmopat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 03:14   #10

Boat: Islander Freeport 41, AEGEA
Three years ago I left Norfolk on December 31 in my Islander Freeport 41 with a brand new genset and electric reverse cycle heat/ac. Within 24 hours the genset failes and wasn't fixed until I got to Jacksonville. With a charcoal heater in the salon and lot of blankets we made the trip with little difficulty but it was definitely an adventure.

Dick Pluta
AEGEA
Dick Pluta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 05:08   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
Quote:
Originally Posted by btrayfors View Post
Lots of people live on boats year round in the Chesapeake region. Several hundred in Washington, DC alone.

B.
me! last winter there was basically one real snow and one week of a hard freeze. Year before that (2007), it was quite mild. Other than that, no problems.
Old 01-09-2009, 14:26   #12

Boat: Beneteau 46.1
I live aboard year round in Bal'more. It's not too cold at all.
gs41escapade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 10:33   #13

Boat: Catalina 25
I lived aboard in Boston Harbor two winters and used to fantasize about living aboard in further south! And I wasn't the only liveaboard in Boston. There are quite a few doing it. Webb Chiles discussed it in one of his books, though he definitely spoke of Boston as an indoor kind of town! You can do it! I too thought of heading south, but work committments kept me in Boston till after mid-october, and the salts in my marina wisely counseled me to stay put till spring. Good luck!
JackHinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 13:57   #14

Boat: 43 Beneteau
We left Norfolk last year on Jan. 29 and traveled down the waterway. Yes...it was cold and the enclosure was invaluable for our comfort but we were in Fl by Feb. 7 and crossed to the Bahamas in late Feb. I had just finished cancer treatment so you go when you can....and it was a wonderful trip!
nancynana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2009, 04:47   #15

We will be leaving here (Annapolis) on or around November 21st. If it's cold... so what? Bundle up and make short days of it. When the northers blow through hunker down with a good book. We have a Webasto and a propane "Mr Heater" to keep us warm at night and could use the Honda 2000i with a ceramic heater if we need to. We have been "sleep aboard" here in Annapolis area for several years.

George
thatboatguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
annapolis