Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-11-2019, 10:34   #76

Re: Landfall in the Caribbean

I'd recommend Barbados if your goal is to explore different places. Most cruisers never get to Barbados since it is upwind of the rest of the chain. But if I had to pick one island to skip, it wouldn't be barbados. It is somewhat unique geographically (in fact it isnt really part of the same geology) and culturally from the rest of the islands.

Since you're coming across that is the perfect time to stop. In January, the other islands will also be at peak crowds and barbados will be less busy.

If your goal is only to find an easy place to sail into and check in, skip barbados. Carriacou would be a good choice, doesn't get a lot of traffic. On a calm day, sailing into the lagoon should be reasonable and it's very open once you're in.
jrau18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2019, 12:33   #77

Boat: contessa 35

Don't miss out a visit to Barbados. It's been my landfall on 3 trips from Cape Verde, and several others from St Lucia.
Carlisle Bay is a good anchorage, and Barbados Cruising Club always give a warm welcome. Surf when landing by dinghy can sometimes be entertaining!
Customs usualy insist you bring your vessel Into the deepwater harbour for clearance, normaly plenty of space unless 3 or 4 cruise ship are in.
Loud music can be a problem, less if anchored near Cruising Club.
Leaving the dinghy unattened on the beach was never an issue here, unlike other islands in the Caribbean.
Enjoy.

Lenny Jarvis
Sailing vessel Morgana
lennyjarvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 14:27   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noisykate View Post
We stopped in Barbados, and checked in at Port St Charles, avoiding what can be day-long queues in Bridgetown, where the cruise ships check in. Anchor off (small marina for superyachts only) dinghy in to the welcoming and friendly yacht club; customs, harbour master, immigration and whatever the other one was all on the same building. Markets within walking distance. We did go on down to Bridgetown and anchored in Carlisle bay, but definitely recommend Port st Charls. We went back up there to check out.

Just checked in Port St. Charles today: easy, polite, a bit burocratic but smooth overall. Several quiet anchorages along the coast. Nice island!
bebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 10:01   #79

Boat: Leopard 45 (yet to come)

I couldn’t agree more with Lenny. Barbados is a great arrival spot. But three sailors - four opinions. I made landfall there once and I will do again next year despite a not so great infrastructure Chandler wise. There are still some places left in my need-to-See list on the island witch is so different to the other islands. I will drop my chain in Carlisle Bay and take a taxi to the port to check-in. The Yachtclub as a lovely place to go too. But it’s not too bad that Barbados gets so many no go‘ s that it will not get too crowded for my next arrival.
Have a safe crossing
Nelsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2019, 17:46   #80

Boat: Dufour Nautitech435/FP Venezia42/Baltec Visiona 40/Catalac 10m used as a river cruiser

We moored in Carlisle Bay and I motored with a Crew member in the dinghy to Careenage Bay. I left the Crew with the dinghy to have an eye on and took a taxi to the Cruise Terminal. As at about 10am local time it was easy to clear in and out in the same time, provided all the forms and passports are on hand. Next day we left for Tobago as this promised us a splendid sailing on a beam reach. Barbados and a bit less Tobago are not easy to sail to once you are west of Barbados eg. St. Lucia, St. Vincent or Martinique. That is my experience earned the easy way as following the advice in the books of the late Donald M. Street.
Fair winds
James
onavegador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2020, 09:37   #81

Boat: 1913 Gaff Cutter yacht 28'

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewide View Post
These anchorages are dead-easy for an engineless boat to anchor off, and then dinghy in to customs:
Prickly Bay, Grenada
Tyrell Bay, Carriacou
Admiralty Bay/Port Elizabeth, Bequia
Rodney Bay, St Lucia
Le Marin, Martinique
Fort de France, Martinique
Terre d'Haut, Guadeloupe
Deshaies, Guadeloupe
Prince Rupert Bay/Portsmouth, Dominica
Falmouth Harbour, Antigua
(Jolly Harbour, Antigua may look easy, too, but is a false friend for an engineless boat as they require you to come alongside the customs dock in the inner harbour.)
Charlestown, Nevis
Simpson Bay, St Maarten
Spanish Town, Virgin Gorda
Great Harbour, Jost Van Dyke
Charlotte Amalie, St Thomas
questions, feel free to PM me.
Cheers.
We are now in Tobago and am reviewing your helpful advice. Next destination Carriacou, Tyrell bay for a haul out. Musing direct Antigua where I am told there is a nice old fashioned boatyard in Falmouth- Googled it, good reviews.
Sauntress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2020, 09:42   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauntress View Post
We are currently in Minndelo Cape Verde aiming to cross early in January trying to find up to date information on Barbados.as a landfall. We are a very simple yacht, some would say too much so, with no engine and thus quite happy on the anchor. The cons of Barbados appear to be lack of facilities (not really relevant to us) and noise which would ,be a shame.. The pros, a good jumping off point for the rest of the ,Carribean. Don Street in his Cape Verde guide is dismissive of Barbados, favouring Antigua, any views/advice would be most welcome. The yacht is Sauntress.
I use Antigua or Trinidad

After a transatlantic you are tired and want to shut down . After a rest. You need to fix broken stuff and provision

Barbados is too difficult

Best visit Barbados when on your cruise
slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2020, 09:53   #83

Quite right about tired.
Old 13-02-2020, 11:05   #84

Quote:
Quite right about tired.
Don’t know what kind of boat you have

Boatyards

Antigua Falmouth Harbour can be troublesome

Some years they forbid self service

Make a few phone calls to find out the latest
Old 13-02-2020, 11:21   #85

Sammy's boatyard. We are a 1913 classic gaff cutter. Sauntress.
Old 13-02-2020, 11:31   #86

Quote:
Sammy's boatyard. We are a 1913 classic gaff cutter. Sauntress.
Talented carpenters in Antigua

English harbor has a railway

I don’t know Sammy’s

Last time I hauled in Antigua it was jolly harbour

Good facilities. Steel cradle
Old 13-02-2020, 11:37   #87

Thanks. Sammy's comes recommended by an Antiguan.

Tags
Caribbean, grass, rib