Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-10-2008, 17:28   #1

Kids Wetsuits

Hi all. Well we are just about to embark on a family adventure in the Carib. We sold the boats in Alaska, bought a new rig in Florida and plan to depart for Bahamas early Nov. My wife and I are curious if other families out there cruising have a set of wetsuits for the children. Thanks.
Mark Brinster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2008, 20:11   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
As you know, kids grow pretty quick. It might be best to buy them used and sell them in six months on Ebay when they get too large for them. I raced catamarans for years and if a wetsuit does not fit just right they can be very uncomfortable and not work quite right. In tropical waters you really dont need them unless their purpose is protection from jellies.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2008, 05:55   #3

Boat: Beneteau First 42
We've gone through several wet-suit "shorties" for our daughter, now 15. Several we received from other "kid boats" who's children had outgrown them and several we passed on ourselves. They do wear quickly, however, so two or three cycles is about all one can expect. They are important however, particularly gloves and booties, as there are some mean and nasties in tropical water and kids tend to be a little less careful than adults.

I also suggest you carry a squeeze bottle filled with ammonia in your medicine chest to treat stings from jelly-fish (sea nettles) and fire coral and the like as well as alcohol, peroxide and lots of neosporin together with water-proof "new-skin" You'll need them.

Cheers,

s/v HyLyte
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2008, 06:44   #4
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Even in the Bahamas you will find a need in some of it's waters for at least shortie wet suits. The farther south you go the less likely you will need them. Children's bodies being smaller they will retain heat less effeciently, so the suits will help. Not mention protection against scrathes, and stings as mentioned.

Great change from Alaskan waters to warmer climates. I am sure it is just as beautiful, but a lot easier on the senses to get in warm water than cold........BEST WISHES in your new adventure......i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2008, 09:26   #5

Boat: Sold - Landlocked
What size?
I can check with a couple of kid boats that I know of who don't post on this forum often to see if they have any outgrown suits.
We don't have any ourselves. When we were in Jamaica and Mexico our kids never wore wet suits.

clausont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2008, 16:05   #6

Thanks for all the good info. Sizes are mens medium & small, boys 14 and 12. Good advice on being prepared for stings, cuts etc. Yea... Alaska is beautiful and seemingly endless. Never a crowded anchorage in these parts. We really do look forward to warmer waters and cruising without the extra layers.
Mark Brinster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2008, 06:04   #7
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Well,

The first of Nov. is approaching fast......BEST WISHES in finding fun, and wee bit of adventure in your new chapter of life........i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kids