Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-12-2010, 09:35   #1

Key West Destination

Hey Forum, I need some help.

I'm leaving for the Keys this Friday and I have NO IDEA where I am going to stay. I have a 30' Santana with a 5' draft. Preferably free or relatively inexpensive per day. We will be staying off the hook, so no marina recommendations necessary. I know this is extremely broad, so to narrow it down, somewhere fairly easy enter as this will be my first time in the Keys.

Any suggestions? Leaving from Sarasota this Friday and will be gone for 10 days.

Thanks,
Mike
Santana30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 09:43   #2

Boat: Mainship Pilot 34
Mike:

There are no good anchorages in Key West. All are subject to the northeast winds that prevail in the winter.

Try to tuck up on the west side of Flemming Key or Wistieria Island. When I was there last year that was the best protection. But when the wind comes out of due north then you are exposed again.

David
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 10:02   #3

Boat: Jeanneau 43
I did that trip last month I can give you any info you need ,I anchored opposite the bight by tank island you can take your dinghy into the marinas they charge $6 day
Simonfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 10:02   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Check out some earlier discussions, which elaborate on David's advice:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...age-22639.html

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...est-37331.html

PS: Tank Island is the official name of Sunset Key, next to Wisteria.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	keywest.gif
Views:	289
Size:	274.1 KB
ID:	21718  

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 10:48   #5

Boat: Steel trawler 63' Eileen Farrell
Garrison Bight has city mooring balls and a good marina, not as crazy as the other side.
lorenzo b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 11:16   #6

Thanks all for the great info. We are heading to the Keys now and are just north of Jacksonville but not sure when we will be getting there but I hope its warmer there then here
Mario G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 19:02   #7

Its going to be especially bad if you're going down this week. Strong northwest winds are forecast all week...till Sat/Sun of next week. What few free anchorages that exist in Key West are pretty exposed on the Gulf side.

Perhaps duck in behind Fleming Key? Its pretty crowded so you may be forced to anchor in the deeper parts (~20 feet in depth) so bring a lot of chain with rode in good shape as the holding is not so great.
night0wl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 19:22   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo
Santana.....
Obviously the responses about KW anchorages are from the uninformed. I've been here 25 years and know the area well. The selection of "where" is dependent on "what" you want to do when here. With a 10 day trip (assuming 2 days each way in transit), I would pay the freight and get a slip. City Marina at Garrison Bight has the best rates.

If you HAVE to anchor out and like downtown (Duval St) I would anchor just North of Wisteria (Christmas) Island, inside the sandbar to the North and West of the channel going to the North of Flemming. The dinghy ride to Key West Bight Dinghy Dock is short and sheltered. From there it is a short walk to Duval.

This time of year the cold fronts come pretty regular and your return trip may be iffy on a 10 day schedule. WATCH YOUR WX CLOSELY! Beating 150 miles into the wind sux!

I have a place in Nokomis, and KW; I make the trip often. PM me if you want some local knowledge for coastal stops if you don't rhumbline
Old 05-12-2010, 19:26   #9

Boat: Corsair F31"Susan C" & Sea Pearl 21"Maggie"
Mike,
I'd suggest going under the channel 5 bridge and into Hawk Channel to transit in the lee of the Keys this weekend. Marathon or Newfound Harbor would be good alternates. In KW, Cow Key Channel may be an alternative. The military is enforcing a no anchoring zone around Fleming Key so you won't get much protection there plus everyone is squeezed into a smaller area. I'd think about the Sea Plane basin outside Garrison Bight but I'm unsure of the draft constraints. Dave
DaveOnCudjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 19:33   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveOnCudjoe View Post
Mike,
I'd suggest going under the channel 5 bridge and into Hawk Channel to transit in the lee of the Keys this weekend. Marathon or Newfound Harbor would be good alternates. In KW, Cow Key Channel may be an alternative. The military is enforcing a no anchoring zone around Fleming Key so you won't get much protection there plus everyone is squeezed into a smaller area. I'd think about the Sea Plane basin outside Garrison Bight but I'm unsure of the draft constraints. Dave
The seaplane basin is 14' deep, however the approach is about 3-4, a no-go for the OP

Cow Key Channel is about 3 miles from Duval... a long walk!

The Cold front is passing here NOW (it started raining about 40 min ago); Friday should be fairly benign Sat should have a South East wind...I expect by Sunday a SECOND front will be reinforcing the Norther... Either way the OP is in for a lumpy ride down.

The Channel 5 advise is good as Hawk will be in the lee, and once around Cape Romano there is little fetch
Old 06-12-2010, 13:47   #11

Boat: s/v PAMALO
Quote:
Originally Posted by capngeo View Post
The seaplane basin is 14' deep, however the approach is about 3-4, a no-go for the OP

Cow Key Channel is about 3 miles from Duval... a long walk!

The Cold front is passing here NOW (it started raining about 40 min ago); Friday should be fairly benign Sat should have a South East wind...I expect by Sunday a SECOND front will be reinforcing the Norther... Either way the OP is in for a lumpy ride down.

The Channel 5 advise is good as Hawk will be in the lee, and once around Cape Romano there is little fetch
I will be taking this same route in late Jan. How lumpy are we taking? 4ft rollers, 10?
Lock is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
key west