Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-04-2006, 07:59   #1

Harbour Island to Staniel Cay

We'll be making this trip in June, 20 knot powerboat, 4'6" draft. I think I want to come out the south entrance, run outside the reef around the north side to Current Island and then pretty much straight to northern Exumas(Highbourne Cay area). Cruising guides don't give me much on the leg from Current Island to north Exumas. One chart shows 12-15 feet most of the way, but has a note the last 15 miles or so that says "numerous coral heads with good water between". Anybody with experience got any advice, or a better route? Thanks for the help.
johnmck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2006, 13:01   #2

I have been through there with no problem with 5' draft more tan once. It is basically the eastern portion of the Yellow Banks and Middle Ground you traverse between Nassau and the Exumas. The heads stand out against the bottom very well and are easy to navigate between unless the light is really bad. You may have to go slower than 20 knts, definetely keep a good lookout, and you should be fine.
CaptainRic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2006, 04:06   #3

I have made the run between Norman’s Cay and Powell Point, then up to Current Cut and Spanish Wells and back. The only problem I remember was the sand bores near Powell Pt., which are dodged by tucking into Rock Sound a little as you approach, then back out through the Davis Channel. I’ve also dodged straight thru the bores by eyeball, softly grounding several times along the way. The run from Powell Pt to either Normans or Staniel Cay is deep and easy.
JB
JordanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2006, 05:30   #4

Farther west

Thanks for the input. I was planning on staying in the deep water west of the islands and coming in at Fleeming Channel. Then from there to either Ship Channel Cay or Beacon Cay. That is the route I don't know what to expect.
johnmck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2006, 05:57   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Caution: I'm relying upon 10 year old memory - you may not wish to.
I expect Six Shillings to Beacon or Ship Channel Cay (via Flemming Channel) is the route CaptainRic described as “no problem /w 5' draft”.
I planned (charted & discussed with “locals”) the reverse course (Allen’s Cay North to Six shillings then Spanish Wells) many years ago, but never made the trip. At that time, I had reliable advice that my 5.5' draft was no problem.
Being only a short run (30 nm ?), speed shouldn’t be a concern.
FWIW,
Gord

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote