Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-04-2015, 15:38   #16

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: Haiti attack on Cruisers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
It seems those waters are becoming dangerous.
Ask Jack.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2015, 17:16   #17
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Garfield View Post
I am relieved these sailors have their lives ! Vicious attack.
Terrible.
Awful news, to be sure... However, I can't help but be struck by one similarity between this event, and the recent attack in Honduras...

Both occurred as a result of anchoring in a known area of high risk, after seeking relief from rough seas, or a tiring passage...

Both would have likely been easily avoided, by simply staying offshore, and heaving-to, instead...
Jon Eisberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2015, 17:42   #18

@JON

I had that heaving too thought also.
Though as ones mind body fatigued-cautions are often put on hold or forgotten.

Additionally,the is changing and distance between haves and haves alot lot less is growing.
Arthur Garfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2015, 18:29   #19

Boat: CSY44 Pilothouse

This is a devastating event for all involved, especially the cruisers. They are presently in the hospital as noted previously. But I would strongly suggest that you do not eliminate Haiti from your cruising itinerary (see below).

Update about the boat: The Seven Seas Cruising Association host in Ile à Vache stated that two people from Ile à Vache and himself would retrieve the boat early next week from where it is today and bring it to Ile à Vache where the boat is expected to be safe from theft. We have personally been here for about three months and Ile à Vache is a delightful anchorage and the local population is very nice, although they may not always smile, they will respond in a friendly manner when approached in a friendly way. Although we lock our dinghy at night, many of the boaters do not do so here as there is no history of dinghy theft, etc..

Hopefully, sailors who plan to travel the south side of Haiti will read Frank Virgintino's guide about Haiti. The guide can be found on Free Cruising Guides. His experience with Haiti has been experienced by us (a family of three) also.

We will leave here soon, because new adventures need to be had. Otherwise we would remain here. Therefore, please do not blame all of Haiti for some renegade individuals.
Henk Koornstra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2015, 19:35   #20

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

Mark thanks for the heads up news like this early on could possibly save others.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2015, 19:41   #21
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

Haiti is a law-less sh!t hole and should be avoided at all cost, even in an emergency.
Numerous stories of piracy in Haitian waters, even locals putting out fake lights to lure sailors aground, then rob and loot the wreck.

Stay far away from Haiti
Old 17-04-2015, 21:10   #22

Boat: 1977 Cheoy Lee 61' pilot house trawler

"Just give them what they want and they'll go away, it's only property..."

I'll defend my "property" before allowing my loved ones or myself to be at the mercy of these animals.
napadiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2015, 05:02   #23
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSY Man View Post
Haiti is a law-less sh!t hole and should be avoided at all cost, even in an emergency.
Numerous stories of piracy in Haitian waters, even locals putting out fake lights to lure sailors aground, then rob and loot the wreck.

Stay far away from Haiti
I'm just curious, but how does one put out a light to lure a sailor? I used to have the same question when I was a kid and heard the stories of wreckers etc. making fires on the beach to lure ships aground.

Do any of you guys sail TOWARD an unknown, uncharted light on shore?
I'm just curious as to the actual mechanics of these Mooncussers technique. I might be stranded on an island some day and need to lure some boats to me.
Old 18-04-2015, 05:05   #24

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post
I'm just curious, but how does one put out a light to lure a sailor?
Beer sign.

Or better yet:

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FREE-WI-FI-1-neon-led-custom-sign-changable-letters1.jpg
Views:	492
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	100627  

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2015, 05:22   #25

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Nothing new; it was 2003 when we skipped Haiti and land in Republica Dominica instead
We skipped Haiti in 2004 too. Long history of instablility there. Seems like an obvious bad idea.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2015, 05:25   #26

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Ok,
I am finally getting some information on yesterdays attack.
Just terrible. Unfortunately not different from what we have in our own part of the world regarding people living isolated on far places. Being on the water has given some more safety but apparently no more. The random beating is odd and unless they were some sadistic maniacs would have to do with making sure they were not hiding some values, mostly money, on some hidden part of the boat.

The world is becoming a less safer place and I am not meaning only on the water. When I was young we used to camp on the nature, away from any camping facility. Today if my kids wanted to do that I would be very worried: it is just not safe anymore.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2015, 06:20   #27
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

Quote:
I'm just curious, but how does one put out a light to lure a sailor?
Fake channel marker perhaps.
Kill the real lights marking the safe channel. Then set up lights on the reef.
Old 18-04-2015, 08:03   #28

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post
I'm just curious, but how does one put out a light to lure a sailor? I used to have the same question when I was a kid and heard the stories of wreckers etc. making fires on the beach to lure ships aground.

Do any of you guys sail TOWARD an unknown, uncharted light on shore?
I'm just curious as to the actual mechanics of these Mooncussers technique. I might be stranded on an island some day and need to lure some boats to me.
Most likely an old pirate's tale, but this is how the story goes in the Outer Banks:

"The legend of Nags Head is that in the days of pirates, when tales drifted ashore of the wonderful treasures being plundered at sea, one of the "Bankers", (natives to the Outer Banks) got the inspiration which brought the name Nags Head. A lantern was tied around the neck of an old and gentle horse, and this old nag led slowly up and down the dunes now known as Jockey's Ridge, so that the light shone out to sea. As a ship's captain saw this light, it appeared to be from a ship riding at anchor in a sheltered harbor, but when he tried to make anchorage his ship would go aground, with land pirates then making the crew "walk the plank" before looting and burning the ship."

My guess is that Nags Head is more likely to have been named after one of many "Nags Head" pubs in England, but it makes a good story.

www.sailblogs.com/member/rumdoxy

Come to the dark side. We have donuts.
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2015, 08:15   #29

Boat: 1971 cal 27

Quote:
In a certain way I believe you are right. The ones that have difficulty in surviving look increasingly with disgust the ones that on their home display what for them is unimaginable wealth that is used not for work but only for pleasure. Not defending by any way pirates or aggressive behaviors, just trying to understand why fishermen become pirates.
that is a very simple answer, really. you are overthinking it. in modern 'western' society, we are increasingly taught to abhor personal success and welbeing; as if it's someow morally wrong to have things that you worked to earn and those that have little are morally superior. many people act as if we should apologize for what we have and deserve ill treatment because of it.

i say 'we' because i am a part of this society; not because i have much more than two pennies to rub together.

the answer is far more basic. fisherman turn to pirates because they have little and stealing from unprotected, unaware strangers is a far easier and faster way to accumulate wealth. it's pretty simple, really.

it's no different than the appeal selling illegal drugs has with America's 'underpriveledged'. quick easy money.
first wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2015, 09:16   #30

Boat: 1971 cal 27

Quote:
Just terrible. Unfortunately not different from what we have in our own part of the world regarding people living isolated on far places. Being on the water has given some more safety but apparently no more. The random beating is odd and unless they were some sadistic maniacs would have to do with making sure they were not hiding some values, mostly money, on some hidden part of the boat.

The world is becoming a less safer place and I am not meaning only on the water. When I was young we used to camp on the nature, away from any camping facility. Today if my kids wanted to do that I would be very worried: it is just not safe anymore.
really? far safer in the woods or in the countryside than in the city.
first wind is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise, cruiser, Haiti