Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-03-2014, 15:01   #16

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: First time offshore

irishmike,

Atoll's an experienced delivery skipper, and i'd trust his take on the timing of the trip. If the idea appeals to you, you should do yourself the favor of going. It will be an experience you will never forget: your first ocean voyage in a yacht! ...and without the responsibility of fitting it out.

If all the weather talk is making you feel concerned about the trip, try to put it in perspective. The boat got there with just VHF. The purchase of a [possibly used] small shortwave receiver would allow you to hear WWV weather broadcasts. You're going as another pair of hands and eyes for them, and to enjoy their company: you could let them worry about the weather, as they have a lot of ocean experience. They will take good care of you. Unless, is there something you're not telling us?

Ann
Old 20-03-2014, 15:42   #17

Boat: Pearson 34-II

"A man is not old until regrets take the place of dreams."
John Barrymore

I vote "Go!"
Good luck and good offshore sailing.
Old 20-03-2014, 16:07   #18

Boat: Pearson 303

Tartansail, yes, stopping in Bermuda has been mentioned..........
irishmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2014, 16:11   #19

Ann, I think that is the best advice yet. Yes, I am just an extra pair of hands....and it is my first opportunity to do this and they are great sailors. No I am not withholding anything. If I don't go, then I will forever regret passing up on what could be a once in a lifetime adventure.
Old 20-03-2014, 16:31   #20

Boat: Catalina 470

Mike,
The short answer is, YES...GO....You'll LOVE IT!!!
NO QUESTION IN MY MIND!!

Long answer...
A few things for you....
1 - I grew up sailing on a Hinckley Southwester....

2 - I've made the passage from the VI to the US (FLA) many times...

3 - I'm VERY envious of you guys....not the least of which is because the SW-52 is my DREAM BOAT!!

4 - Whether you should be worried or not about this passage being done without any offshore weather info/forecasts, depends on WHEN you're doing this passage....(because March is a bit early to out in the N. Atlantic dodging the Lows and Fronts coming off the continental US, without knowing that they're there!!!)
First two weeks of April is about the same....the sail up towards Bermuda will probably be okay, certainly the first half will be fine...the second half, as you get past 26* - 27*, can get a front/low that will kick 'ya in the but pretty good...
In April, fronts can still have fairly powerful Lows and they can whip up some full Gales...the further north you go past Berunda, as you're heading towards Newport, the better the chances of getting caught in poor weather...
BUT that does NOT mean that this is necessary dangerous, nor that you should not go!!!
Definitely go!!!

By all means go!!! (but, spend the $150 - $250 on a small SW Radio w/SSB capability...such as the Sangean 909 or Sony 7600....)
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmike View Post
Hi all,
I have been invited to sail a Hinckley 52 from Virgin Gorda to Newport, RI. with two friends who are both commercial captains and one is a dear friend. Now, although I have sailed and owned sailboats for 15 years, it has nearly all been daysailing and to tell the truth I have never sailed offshore and am more than a little nervous.....should I be???? Once we are underway we have no way of knowing the weather ahead of us except for the VHF. This makes me nervous too!! What kind of weather would be typical for this run the first two weeks of April?? Am I looking at something that is going to be a test of physical endurance? I am 56 and not very athletic but in good health. Any advise and encouragement or otherwise would be much appreciated.
So, should be worried...probably not....
But, for both your piece of mind, and for your "friends" education, I'd advise you buy the Sangean receiver, listen to the USCG Offshore weather forecast, for the SW N Atlantic, as well as the other regions...
(I find it hard to believe that these guys wouldn't have one of these themselves....I sent one to my non-tech brother in the Caribbean years ago, to use on his deliveries to/from the US and Caribbean...he used it flawlessly for years!!)

Have a look here...
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1373123

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1395150

USCG HF Voice

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1484770

Sangean ATS-909X Portable Shortwave Radio ATS909X

http://www.amazon.com/Sangean-ATS-90.../dp/B003XU76PQ

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-ICF-SW760.../dp/B00006IS4X

FYI, you will NOT get any weather info on the VHF until you are within VHF range (30-50 miles) of the US east coast or Bermuda....or within VHF range of another vessel that you may get lucky enough to successfully hail in VHF....
(I say "lucky" since it's not clear whether this SW-52 has a DSC-VHF radio??? If not, you may never raise another vessel on it...)
If your "friends" are not aware of this, perhaps they are not as experienced as they boast they are???

Fair winds...and I envy you delivering a SW-52!!!

John
s/v Annie Laurie
ka4wja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2014, 16:54   #21

Boat: Catalina 470

Mike, GO!!!
Have a GREAT time!!!

But, you do NOT need to complicate your life...

Actually NO need to run a laptop for this passage/delivery....
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccannan View Post
Great, inexpensive advice, however, you will also want to have a running laptop onboard, an audio cable from the radio to the laptop, an application to view an save weather faxes, possibly an external antenna, the weather fax transmission schedule, and of course knowledge/experience on how to interpret the information.
The USCG HF VOICE Weather Broadcasts, 4 times a day on multiple freqs, is all that is really needed....
Listen to the morning and evening forecasts for a day or two BEFORE departing, and then once or twice a day when enroute....
And, you're good-to-go!!

USCG HF Voice

And, in reality, you don't NEED the radio or Voice weather broadcasts.....that SW-52 will get you to Newport in great shape and in fine style!!!
(can you tell I want a SW-52??)

Fair winds, Mike...

John
s/v Annie Laurie
ka4wja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2014, 18:20   #22

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Ann, I think that is the best advice yet. Yes, I am just an extra pair of hands....and it is my first opportunity to do this and they are great sailors. No I am not withholding anything. If I don't go, then I will forever regret passing up on what could be a once in a lifetime adventure.
Irishmike, if you really think you will forever regret not doing it, I think you've already made up your mind what you want to do. So, my suggestion would be to see whatever's still blocking doing it and deal with that, whatever it may be. Oh, yeah, do remember that most of us feel a bit apprehensive when undertaking something new. Reframe that for yourself as happy excitement, which is fun, is good, and besides, nowhere is it written that you should not feel apprehensive or excited in your life.

Have the very best time!

Ann
Old 20-03-2014, 19:39   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

It is a great trip and a really great boat but you did say the first two weeks of April? Sailing to New England in early April I would be concerned about the weather.

I hate to be the stick in the mud but offshore New England at this time of year you have pretty high odds of running into some nasty weather. Most yards in New England don't even start spring launching until May, some even end May and there is a reason.

Historical average low temps in RI for the first two weeks of April are mid thirties and this has NOT been an average winter. There is snow forecast next week in RI.

NOAA weather for southern New England offshore waters next Tuesday calls for 25-40 kt winds with seas 9-18'. If you happen to be crossing the Gulf Stream in those conditions expect steep and occasionaly breaking seas.

The first of April is only one week from Tuesday and I wouldn't expect weather patterns to change that much in 1-2 weeks.

Certainly a Hinkley 52 in good condition should get you safely through anything you would typically see on this trip, but would it be fun?
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2014, 19:51   #24

My only reservation, personally, would be the two captains.

Generally speaking that's one too many, regardless of the designation of one as "the" captain.

Have they previously done trips together with the same chain of command as proposed ?

If they have, and they're still happily looking forward to this trip, then it'll surely be fine.
Andrew Troup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2014, 20:08   #25

Boat: Cape Dory 31

Quote:
if they ask you to bring suspenders , stockings and makeup i would be very afraid!
otherwise it should be a great trip,at the right time of year!
That's hilarious! Damn good advice!
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2014, 22:03   #26

Two years ago I did New Jersey to Fla on board a brand new
Jeanneau 45, When I found out there was no SSB on board just
a VHF, I made the owner buy a Sat Phone.
If I remember right it cost about 500 bucks for the phone
and he bought a special emergency type package that I believe
was about 125.00 for 100 minutes
good over a one year time period. I just didn't feel comfortable
not being able to communicate in an emergency. Also made him get the
Life Raft serviced at Switlik in Trenton. As a bonus we got a tour of the factory.
I also brought along my old "Yachtboy" short-wave and a basic handheld VHF and GPS.
These go into my own personal ditch bag, Now I would add a PLB
Should be an exciting trip and I’d go for sure
But I’d be up for days thinking about all the things that could go Mustang
And come up with an action plan for each.
Also If the weather gets really wonky a crew of three are going to get hammered. Be ready for COLD
Time2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2014, 04:59   #27

Boat: ex-Tartan 40

Quote:
Tartansail, yes, stopping in Bermuda has been mentioned..........
You'll have a memorable trip on an amazing boat. Staging from Bermuda allows you to have a good shot at avoiding the stormy conditions Skipmac mentioned. However, do expect the last couple of days to be COLD. Temps in the 30's and 40's should be expected north of the Gulf Stream. If you do winter sports, think about sitting on a chair lift for several hours at a time and prepare accordingly. Bring lots of your layers.
S/V Sapphire Tartan 40 #71

tartansail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2014, 06:53   #28

Andrew, they are old friends...like 25yrs and have done deliveries before.
Old 21-03-2014, 06:58   #29

John thank you for suggesting the Sangean, In fact thank you all for this information. I am going to pass along this info to the Captain. Will that Sangean in fact give us weather forecasts in the middle of the Atlantic?
Old 21-03-2014, 12:08   #30

Boat: temporarily boatless...

I'm about to make the trip from Tortola to the Gulf coast of FL, so I've been watching the conditions on that route for a couple of weeks and it's been terrific, the pilot charts also suggest the likelihood of a terrific passage that time of year, so if I may make a suggestion: given your concerns, why take the direct route? Why not either do what we're doing and sail up through the Old Bahamas Channel and across the straits to FL, then follow the coast to RI, or otherwise, go through the Turks&Caicos and the Bahamas and do the same thing, crossing from Grand Bahama to north FL or even Georgia? On this route you get three things: 1) a very high likelihood of good weather while you are sailing west to FL, 2) constant VHF weather info while you are sailing in the western Bahamas through to RI, and 3) the wind at your back most of the time (prevailing easterlies on the westward leg, and southwesterlies along the US coast). Particularly if you take the second option (T&C/Bahamas), you'll have lots of places you can stop and refuel, take on water, take on provisions, or hide, all the way through.

Of course, if you're in a hurry it won't be the fastest route, but given your stated concerns it's worth thinking about. I should mention that you can always hail "all stations" on the VHF and ask whether anyone can provide current forecasts along your route, I've done this before and generally gotten the information I needed.

I hope you have a great trip! Pete
pete33458 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
offshore