Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-10-2019, 09:21   #1

Exumas instead of Abacos

Good afternoon everyone.

Looking for advice perhaps switching to an Exumas trip during May. Previously was scheduled to charter out of Abacos, but due to the hurricane thinking of an alternative plan.

Abacos was originally chosen for my first catamaran bareboat charter after getting my ASA certificaiton and a weekend cat charter under my belt. I have multiple charters on monohulls in the BVIs and a healthy amount of experience chartering stateside in Charleston, SC. As Moorings/Sunsail rate Exumas as a lvl 3 I am a bit worried about the difficulty.

What are your guy's thoughts on difficulty? Time of year?

Thanks!
smarcus3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 09:42   #2

Re: Exumas instead of Abacos

The Exuma Cays were my second charter, after one in the BVIs. Both were in monos.
They didn't seem that difficult except for more reefs to watch out for. The Exuma Cays did seem much more remote though and had fewer civilized places to stop. We anchored out except at the Land and Sea Park, which has mooring balls. Our challenge was that the wind was over 30 kts for most of the week and it rained most of the time when we were sailing. I seem to attract weather.
fahtcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 10:08   #3

Boat: 1988 Hans Christian 33

The Exumas are pretty much as easy as the Abacos. The western side of the Exumas is usually nice and calm. Very clear water, very easy to navigate. I guess that your charter will begin in either Nassau or George Town. I think of the two, I'd prefer to start in Nassau because I feel it gives easier access to the upper and central Exumas, which is where you want to be. You can reach these islands by sailing across the banks, whereas if you start in George Town, you'll have to go out into Exuma sound and sail up to those cays and then repeat when going back to return the boat. I'd be more than happy to help answer any specific questions you might have, I've spent a lot of time down there.
Lowcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 11:21   #4

Boat: Jeanneau SO469

I spent a good bit of time sailing both last year. Pretty similar sailing as each anchorage should require a good chart review of the area. Both have lots of great destinations. As I felt Georgetown was too crowded for my style and had a “country club” feel I tried to stay away as much as possible. The rest of the Exumas is great. But the Exumas have fewer options for grocery stores outside of Georgetown. So it means either stock up and plan well (not too hard for a week or two) or make do with the limited selection at the small stores.
Peeew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 07:22   #5

Gotcha. Thanks for all the responses. Appreciate it!
smarcus3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 08:17   #6

Boat: Freedom 32

The Exuma’s will no longer be remote. You’re concentrating all of the Bahamas sailing into a smaller area. I imagine traffic jams.
Old 03-10-2019, 08:23   #7

For an easy and beautiful charter, you may want to consider Belize if that's an option. Once you leave Amergris Caye, you can still have many anchorages to yourself.
Jackz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 08:28   #8

Boat: '85 Irwin52, 56LOA

Hey, why not consider the Virgin Islands? We are just now getting our feet back on the ground down here after devastaing Cat 5 storms, Irma and Maria in 2017--so you still have a chance to "sail it forward" and spread the love without exhausting the resources in the Bahamas.. Just a thought! I know the Bahamas need the love too...I run charters myself and had a tough time the few months after the storm making things happen-getting provisions etc, and know how hard it can be on everybody.

Safe sailing either way-have fun!!
Matt T, Capt.
CaptainMCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 10:31   #9

I cruised the Exumas for three months - Jan-Feb-Mar. The weather conditions were excellent apart from one or two days when we chose to stay put rather than venturing out in 30knts of wind.

We were hampered by our draft - at 8ft we were looking for trouble in these waters and eventually found it; we spent 12 hrs aground near Warderick Wells. But this was entirely my own fault and I’m sure the charter fleets are made up of shallow draft vessels.

Leaf Cay, Shroud Cay, and Staniel Cay are great stopovers. (Staniel also has one of the best bars for sailors in the world). Georgetown and the anchorage off Stocking Is. offer great shelter. There’s a full service marina at Emerald Bay (or a name v similar to that) if you need one.

In short, I wouldn’t let this “level III” classification deter you from heading down to the Exumas.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1983701122
psp2psp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2020, 05:12   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Ocean Parks TV Series: Bahamas Exuma Cays (Season 1 - Episode 5)
Watchhttps://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6wcec5

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7880618/

Ocean Parks (2016) Episode List
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6416248...ref_=tt_ep_epl

About ➥ https://www.nature.org/en-us/get-inv...-land-and-sea/

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
abaco, exumas