Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-08-2009, 14:27   #1

Post Dominican Republic, a Great Destination!

Some people might tell you not to go to the DR. The lack of information and a good cruising guide have kept the island out cruisers tracks and logbooks.

But there is a good cruising guide over the DR, and it is FREE! You can download it in it's own site;

Dominican Republic Cruising Guide

Focus II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 16:22   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Greetings and welcome aboard CF Focus.
Thanks for the link.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 17:25   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focus II View Post
Some people might tell you not to go to the DR. The lack of information and a good cruising guide have kept the island out cruisers tracks and logbooks.

But there is a good cruising guide over the DR, and it is FREE! You can download it in it's own site;

Dominican Republic Cruising Guide

I've downloaded the Cruising Guide and glanced through it through Samana. It's a wonderful resource, please pass my congratulations and thanks to those responsible for it!

On edit. I hope a mod or admin moves this thread to the "Atlantic/Carib" section.
speedoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2009, 06:38   #4

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Be warned the earlier version is better. The newest addition has serious errors/ommission in the check-in/out procedures. The new check-in/out procedures cited in the guide only apply to boats arriving and sailing between "privately owned marinas." They do not apply to harbors where such marinas do not exist. You will use the old procedures at the two most traversed harbors on the north and east side - Luperon and Samana.
See: President Amends DR Pleasure Yacht Laws
For the actual true changes to D.R. check-in/out procedures.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2009, 08:49   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
Be warned the earlier version is better. The newest addition has serious errors/ommission in the check-in/out procedures. The new check-in/out procedures cited in the guide only apply to boats arriving and sailing between "privately owned marinas." They do not apply to harbors where such marinas do not exist. You will use the old procedures at the two most traversed harbors on the north and east side - Luperon and Samana.
See: President Amends DR Pleasure Yacht Laws
For the actual true changes to D.R. check-in/out procedures.
So are you saying that if the information in the article you linked is used in conjunction with the new version of the guide, we should be in good shape?
speedoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2009, 09:08   #6

WOW! What a great guide!

I feel so frustrated I didnt have that when I was there. We just stayed on the beaten path, Luperon, Samana, the Nat'l Park, and chose to travel by land other than that.....
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2009, 12:11   #7

pirate

I know that what Osirissail says about the checking in and out might be very true if you have bad "luck" with the authorities. Thou the new rules SHOULD apply every where, all the time weather you in a "privet own marina" ore at an anchor. Last time a had a chat with people coming in to Luperon the authorities threat them good.

Like in every other country you can only do check in and out in special ports, where you have all the authorities, immigration etc. But the DR is what it is and we have to love it for what it is, corrupt. Not a good thing i know but we cant have any illusions about it ether.

So what to do? Do the check in/out in a marina and they will make shore the rules are followed. Talk to the people how are helping you with the paper work if you like to put your anchor down in some other places and what you should do. Many marinas have good contact with the navy (Marina de Guerra) and they can help you.

If you have been badly treated by any atourethies here in the DR you should send a e-mail to the navy, by yourself ore thrue a marina. They are trying to make things better for cruisers but they need to know when and where things goes wrong.
Marina de Guerra

If you have the new regulations and fees bring them. If they know you know...Im trying to find them on the web but until now, nothing.

// Safe Sailing!
Focus II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2009, 12:32   #8

Just arrive, do what the boat next door did when they checked in. It's a third world country, communication is poor, not a big deal. Heck, we dont even enforce the rules the same here in the states from location to location...! One guy wants a 100 peso fee? just pay it! When your dink gets "borrowed" he might be your best friend! Even the well written guide mentioned above indicates that they are not sure how to get a permit to go to the Nat'l Park. We'll we got ours in Samana. He just went and they didnt send him away....
Old 14-08-2009, 21:41   #9

- - As the All-At-Sea article and others who published the "whole story" state, is that the Privately Owned Marinas lobbied hard and did the work to "get an exemption" from the classical procedures. As the articles state this was done for their customers. It is reasonable for owners of mega-yachts and Sport Fisherman to not like 6 to 8 officials tracking mud or whatever all over their expensive boats and each official expecting " a gift" for this. So these new procedures are tailored to the customers of the marinas.
- - Remember the boats staying at the marinas are going to pay 5% of their marina bill to the local officials. That could add up to some significant money. A $1K dockage bill is $50 which is more than the $43 "old charge per boat" and a $2k bill is $100, and on and on. So the officials will be getting some big bucks which makes the "New" system less objectionable to them.
- - Nowhere in the published "New" system is there any mention of boats who are not staying at a marina. Nor is there any mention of coast-wise stopping. It specifically states travel is from one marina to another marina. All of this conforms to the normal desires and habit of Sports Fishermen and mega-yachts.
- - As to the old procedures, there always were and are "highly variable" from one port to another and even within the same port. Having spent a considerable amount of time in Luperon and Samana, as I got to know the officials and their hanger-ons, my costs for checking in/out decreased significantly. I have had Commandantes state that he charges bigger, newer boats more money than smaller "poor-folk" boats. Sailors with "bad attitudes" get charged more than pleasant, polite and friendly sailors. The system in the D.R. is wonderful in one weird way, they have all the laws and regulations the USA and others have - they just ignore most of them - unless - your piss them off and then watch your wallet empty very fast.
- - I love the D.R. and will some more significant time there, maybe even live there full time if I cannot sail anymore. The people, the geography and the food are all fabulous (not to mention that it is cheap to live there). But you need to be able to "fit in" and not take offense at some of the different ways they do things.
- - -
As to Speedo's question, yes - the new D.R. Guide is one of the best every done and has an excellent discussion in the front about the way folks in the D.R. do things and why. The rest of the guide is sort of slanted towards "marina" bound boats which is not any problem. Most other books totally ignore that group. It is just that the old check-in/out procedures in the original version should not have been removed. The "New" procedures for "Privately Owner Marinas" should have been presented alongside the old procedures so that a reader can see how each is done.
- - Maybe the D.R. will adopt similar procedures for boats not staying at marinas - but I would not hold my breathe for one very good reason. I don't think any country is going to give up the fees they have been getting and allow us to stay there "free" - especially in the D.R. That is really stretching reality. As stated in the D.R. Guide, these fees and "gifts" are what buys the food that feeds the officials families. I don't see them volunteering to starve anytime soon.
Old 17-08-2009, 20:07   #10

I have been in email communications with Frank and his cruising guide and indeed the new law is in effect, but due to some oversights non-marina boats were not directly addressed but the intent was to cover them. So that has to be worked out yet. There are significant developments occurring in the D.R. on this subject and only time will tell if they can be successfully implemented. If they are successfully implemented then the D.R. will be right up there with the French Islands as to simple and painless and economical entry and exit. Stay tuned.
Old 26-08-2009, 14:23   #11

sailing JAM-DR-PR

Hi,

As the title suggests, I am departing (woo-hoo) after 4 years in Panama. Not too excited about inflation at the 'other side' but want to hear if anyone has any other suggestions for making headway. Bocas-Prov-Skipping JAM-DR-PR. Depart Sept 28

South or North? I will be fine either way, but heading through the Windward pass, and then the mono pass should be good fun.

Winds on the nose either way? Who's exp d close hauling the night land breezes? Who's gone way off the land and made way?

Cheers for the extra kit of info.

Cpt. Teacup re; crew welcome
captainteacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2009, 15:13   #12

The mono was "no problema" for me both times. Glad I had the radar though, the night time thunder cells off the west end of PR are something to behold. (and avoid!)
Old 26-08-2009, 21:10   #13

Captainteacup
- - There are two ways to go east from Central America: ride the currents north then east along the north side of Cuba - maybe with a stop in the Florida Keys - then across the Bahamas to join the classic route southeast. The other is to head up and along the south side of Cuba - with maybe some stops there. And along the south side of Hispanoila (Haiti/D.R.) and finally across the Mona to Puerto Rico.
- - Several cruisers have done the south side of Cuba east and reported the winds and currents to be less of a hassle than the much longer northern route. One cruiser reported the route so much better they were able to non-stop from Cuba to Puerto Rico.
- - From Providencia you can ride the currents north past the west end of Jamaica to Santiago, Cuba. Heading north east to pass east of Jamaica puts you into the "wild waters area between Jamaica and Columbia. Depending upon the time of year that route can be mild or malicious. Either way the object is to get into the lee of the south shores of Cuba or Haiti/D.R. and ride them eastward.
- - If you are an USA citizen a stop in Jamaica -Port Antonio (low cost) clears you from having to report your last stop as Cuba.
- - If you can afford marinas then the D.R. has several along the south coast - the new Zar-Par is getting good reviews. Picking a weather window is important to minimize going east bound into the trades.
- - If you plan to stop in Puerto Rico, I would recommend stopping at Boqueron and clearing in at Mayaguez - there is regular service by a local taxi guy - Raoul -to take you there and back including a stop for shopping and a "Walmarts fix." I would avoid checking in at Ponce as there is a one particular officer there who can make your life very uncomfortable. Everybody in Mayaguez is cool and friendly.
- - You are looking at 1200 nm Panama to P.R. and 920 nm from Providencia to P.R. Some stops may be in order to plan weather windows.
Old 28-08-2009, 20:45   #14

Boat: All kinds of 'em, from 9' dinks to 100+' motoryachts, power or sail...
Send a message via Yahoo to robw_fl
If you stop at Providencia, make sure to check out Rolando's. One of the coolest and most undiscovered gems of a beach bar I've ever seen. ANd I've seen a few

And time your Mona passage. Just be positive of your weather window. Give it a minute to settle down...that place makes it's own weather/waves. Not wave patterns...just waves...from everywhere.

Grab an Abuelo...toast Bocas...and enjoy the trip...

Capt. Rob.

Old 03-09-2009, 13:53   #15

No Mona Passage for Southerly route on D.R.

Thanks, I will toast abuelo. But hopefully won't sleep after it like I do in Bocas. Bocas be gone!

The new guide for D.R. states you don't really cross the Mona if you are coasting the S> Coast of D.R. It's all south of the 'passage' bit.

So, it's between the Oct 8-13 I'll be there.

Cpt. Teacup
captainteacup is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Dominican Republic