Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-05-2013, 09:06   #1

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
Dominican R. & Carib. westbound questions

I'll be sailing my boat from the BVIs to Florida in about a month, and had a couple questions of people who have done that.

1. D.R. - Customs and immigration.

A. How important is it to have papers clearing from the last country? (U.S. boat with 2 Americans on board coming from P.R. and may clear into P.R. with local boater's option.)

B. I understand one has to clear in and out of every port in the D.R. even the minor stops - is that correct? (I ask due to early morning starts) - Any recommendations on Samana to Luperon including possibly doing it non stop?

2. Moving north from the D.R.

Haven't decided yet whether to go from Luperon to Great Inagua or to Turks and Caicos. This is not a leisurely trip so hate to waste time and money clearing into T&K for a night or two there. I assume anchoring for a night with the Q. flag up and never checking in is a no-no. Any thoughts on efficiency in this step appreciated.

3. Convenient stops Will be using a good inflatable kayak as primary tender, so appreciate any advice on convenient fuel docks, and other resupply locations anywhere on the trip.

4. Any other must see stops or recommendations I'm very familiar with Georgetown North. First Time between there and P.R. mainland. Again, not a leisurely trip, but want to see the best this trip has to offer.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 09:21   #2

Re: Dominican R. & Carib. westbound questions

My info is ten years old, but here goes:
1. D.R. - Customs and immigration.

A. How important is it to have papers clearing from the last country? (U.S. boat with 2 Americans on board coming from P.R. and may clear into P.R. with local boater's option.)
It' s usually important. As a US citizen you dont have to clear out of PR, but I dont imagine the DR gets many of people in that situation, so there is a possibility it could be problematic depending on the actual C and I officers you encounter.
B. I understand one has to clear in and out of every port in the D.R. even the minor stops - is that correct? (I ask due to early morning starts) - Any recommendations on Samana to Luperon including possibly doing it non stop?
I think you can clear out the afternoon before. without problem.

2. Moving north from the D.R.

Haven't decided yet whether to go from Luperon to Great Inagua or to Turks and Caicos. This is not a leisurely trip so hate to waste time and money clearing into T&K for a night or two there. I assume anchoring for a night with the Q. flag up and never checking in is a no-no. Any thoughts on efficiency in this step appreciated.
I have anchored in the outskirts overnight going the other direction with no issue. Arrived late afternoon and left before daybreak. Sometimes you have engine trouble in the darnedest places....

3. Convenient stops Will be using a good inflatable kayak as primary tender, so appreciate any advice on convenient fuel docks, and other resupply locations anywhere on the trip.

4. Any other must see stops or recommendations I'm very familiar with Georgetown North. First Time between there and P.R. mainland. Again, not a leisurely trip, but want to see the best this trip has to offer.
Conception Island on the way to Gtown would be nice as would Great Inagua!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 09:37   #3

Thanks Cheechako.

More specifically my D.R. question is:

Will not having signing out papers when leaving P.R. cause a problem when trying to clear into the D.R. at Samana?
Old 05-05-2013, 09:41   #4

Wouldnt it be easier to just check out of PR? Or is this a recent purchase with those issues...?

Old 05-05-2013, 10:32   #5

Checking out of PR may not be convenient with our schedule and custom's hours. Obviously, if necessary, I'll wait, but I'd hate to waste a day if it's not necessary. It's very possible we may just check into P.R. by phone using the local boater's option, and pre-paid custom's decal and leave the country 2 days later without ever obtaining any written clearances.

That's what I'm trying to find out - Do we need to take the time to get written clearing out documentation from P.R. for purposes of clearing into the D.R.?
Old 05-05-2013, 10:50   #6

Yeah.... I think it's one of those questions that depends on the day, time, and particular govt official. The third world is often inconsistant. Technically, you can just leave the US (just like if you left Fl going to the Bahamas) and arrive in the DR. I have not found DR officials to be too onerous, however , checking in to Samana they did visit my boat and stayed for a while... all 4 of them! They asked if I had any "coke", silly me, I thought they were thirsty... so one of them asked to see and I showed them the Case of coke I had stored.... we all had a laugh and I realized he was the Drug Enforcement guy....

Old 05-05-2013, 11:07   #7

Boat: Outremer 50
Send a message via Skype™ to Dave852
Don't know if its true of every port in DR but when we recently wanted to check out of the country at Casa del campo the afternoon before so we could leave at 5:30 am to clear the Mona passage before night fall it was very expensive. The requested amount started at $1000.00 us and like all prices in the DR we were able to negotiate down to $110.00 us. Part of the problem is the US is giving them money in return for their narcotics people to search the boat just prior to leaving and then stay until you cast your lines and watch you leave the harbor. So someone had to come to the boat at 5am and do that which they did. I would not want to enter the DR without a despacho from the previous country, it would likely require a large tip to check in.
Dave852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 19:23   #8

Boat: Freedom Express 39 cat ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by nautical62 View Post
Checking out of PR may not be convenient with our schedule and custom's hours. Obviously, if necessary, I'll wait, but I'd hate to waste a day if it's not necessary. It's very possible we may just check into P.R. by phone using the local boater's option, and pre-paid custom's decal and leave the country 2 days later without ever obtaining any written clearances.

That's what I'm trying to find out - Do we need to take the time to get written clearing out documentation from P.R. for purposes of clearing into the D.R.?
Why not just stop in St. John or St. Thomas and get some departure paperwork so that you have something to show officials that ask for it?
Rubikoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 19:51   #9

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

You can get the same exit papers in PR that we get down here in Louisiana, to go to Mexico, or at least Isla M. It's a 1300 number and ya get it from customs, homeland security. No problem ! I carry at least 10 copys aboard, so I never get hung up !!!