Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-11-2009, 08:32   #16
cruiser

never mind
Noname1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2009, 09:19   #17
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Getting the dingy on-board solo is not fun, but with a halyard winch....

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanksalot View Post
I'm afraid to ask......but I have to.
It's about a 30-hour run from my location to Cape May via offshore. With my 27ft. Ericson, I could either bring my inflatable Zodiac (which setting up and deflating would be a royal PAIN), or tow my Dyer dinghy. No way to bring the Dyer aboard as far as I can see. What's the big problem with towing the Dyer? If the seas were really miserable, either I wouldn't go or I'd be glad to have the dinghy "just in case". But......I'm not that experienced and get the sense that there's something I'm missing. What is it?
it is not so bad. Winch part way, go to the rail and adjust, and repeat. Do hang some padding over the rail. That makes it much more relaxing.

If you are doing those runs solo, you don't need anything else on your mind or anything to go wrong. In my mind, solo sailing is all about planning to avoid trouble, since there are only 2 hands to fix it, and they are busy and tired.

And set-up of an inflatable is not so bad.
Old 13-11-2009, 16:03   #18

Well you are the captain so you make your choices But anyone who has lost a dinghy may feel different
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2009, 16:49   #19

Thanks, everyone, for the advice. I had initially asked the question wondering if I would NEED a dinghy on the ICW. I had no idea that towing a dinghy could be so problematic, and the fact that I haven't had problems (yet) doesn't change that reality. Carrying the inflatable, partially inflated on the foredeck, seems to be the most reasonable choice. Then I could stuff the dinghy inside when I leave the boat and rope it to the boat on the front deck while enroute. Thanks for the input!
tanksalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2009, 17:34   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
I had initially asked the question wondering if I would NEED a dinghy on the ICW.
Anchorages are not always located where you need them. You may need to be located far away from resources you need. Bring the dinghy! Some places favor marinas as the choice, so without money to make up the difference - bring the dinghy! Some anchorages have strong currents. You need a motor too!
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2009, 17:37   #21

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 31 - Cielo Azul
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanksalot View Post
Thanks, everyone, for the advice. I had initially asked the question wondering if I would NEED a dinghy on the ICW. I had no idea that towing a dinghy could be so problematic, and the fact that I haven't had problems (yet) doesn't change that reality. Carrying the inflatable, partially inflated on the foredeck, seems to be the most reasonable choice. Then I could stuff the dinghy inside when I leave the boat and rope it to the boat on the front deck while enroute. Thanks for the input!
You don't need a dingy, if you are just going to motor down the ICW and not do much cruising, if you pack the boat full of water & food. stopping at occasional free dock to get new supplies, you don't need the dink.
If you are going to stop and see the sights and not stay at the marinas,
then you do.
Tom
teejayevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2009, 06:31   #22

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
There are special "dinghy mounts" for sale that attach the stern of the dinghy to the stern of your boat. Other than getting "pooped" this would eliminate the problems with painters breaking.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2009, 07:11   #23

Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2
Ive lost 2 plywood pram dinghies offshore and found 1 that someone else had lost back in the day before the popularity of deflatables they were disposable kinda like ballpoint pens.Now its a different story when you have a small fortune tied up in an inflatable.The fact is its not easy to carry a dink of any kind on the deck of a lot of small boats and towing is the only feasible option.With the Dyer make sure you have a secure plug for the daggerboard trunk,you need an automatic drain plug,a very beefed up area of the bow and a substantial towing eye,i like the u bolt type and as someone said,a bridle rather than a single painter,i often see the bow eye way too high.I think a good fitted cover with a couple of hoops and solid attatchments would be helpful.These suggestions are of course a bit late for the OP.
Steve.
clockwork orange is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinghy, icw