Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-05-2015, 10:44   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Tucker CA41 Steel 40 foot Ketch
Deep Draught Marina in Placencia Lagoon Southern Belize

I have been going in and out of Placencia and up the lagoon for a few years now so was surprised to find out the Peninsular Club Marina in the lagoon (for those of you that know the area it is opposite the Chabil Mar resort) can be accessed by deep draught vessels. All the previous information available indicated that the controlling depth in the lagoon was about 6 feet

The Dock masters at the Peninsular Club (John and Lucy) had a large Ferro Concrete boat called Stone Age drawing 9 feet and she is now in the Marina. John and Lucy surveyed the area before taking their boat in and found a route for vessels drawing up 10 feet, they have published the waypoints on their web site see Waypoints | The Peninsula Club

This marina is very close to the village at the bottom end of the peninsular, just north of the water tower, so access to the shops, banks, bars and restaurants is easy.
Triumphant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2015, 07:30   #2

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: Deep Draught Marina in Placencia Lagoon Southern Belize

They created this a few years back...unfortuantely by destroying a large area of mangrove wetlands...put enough money in the right Minister's pocket and you can get permission to do anything...no matter how environmentally unsound.

In the past its been almost unocuppied. How many boats are in there now?
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2015, 07:14   #3

Boat: Hunter Passage 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triumphant View Post
I have been going in and out of Placencia and up the lagoon for a few years now so was surprised to find out the Peninsular Club Marina in the lagoon (for those of you that know the area it is opposite the Chabil Mar resort) can be accessed by deep draught vessels. All the previous information available indicated that the controlling depth in the lagoon was about 6 feet

The Dock masters at the Peninsular Club (John and Lucy) had a large Ferro Concrete boat called Stone Age drawing 9 feet and she is now in the Marina. John and Lucy surveyed the area before taking their boat in and found a route for vessels drawing up 10 feet, they have published the waypoints on their web site see Waypoints | The Peninsula Club

This marina is very close to the village at the bottom end of the peninsular, just north of the water tower, so access to the shops, banks, bars and restaurants is easy.
So they have moved from Sanctuary? I think BelizeSailor is talking about the creation of Sanctuary. They were hired to run the marina there. Interesting news. We'll head back that way after Mardi Gras 2016 so hopefully be seeing y'all around Christmas 2016.
nolagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2015, 09:02   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolagal View Post
... I think BelizeSailor is talking about the creation of Sanctuary. ..
No, I was talking about the marina behind Chabli Mar, which I believe is the same one Triumphant is referencing.

Same sentiment applies to Sancturary Bay though.
Old 20-05-2015, 09:13   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Tucker CA41 Steel 40 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post

In the past its been almost unoccupied. How many boats are in there now?
There are 2 sail boats in the marina at the moment and there is a dive company basing their boats there. The marina is useable but is still work in progress. Some boats this year have been going in for a few days to get out of the swell and/or to get water.

I asked about the prices and was told $300 per month

Quote:
So they have moved from the Sanctuary Resort? I think BelizeSailor is talking about the creation of the Sanctuary Resort They were hired to run the marina there. Interesting news. We'll head back that way after Mardi Gras 2016 so hopefully be seeing y'all around Christmas 2016.
Yes they (John and Lucy on Stone Age) have been out of the Sanctuary resort, Sapadillo Lagoon for at least 6 months now.

Caldwell Banker, who are deeply involved in the Sanctuary project have bought the Purple Space Monkey and made it into pretty ugly office/sales building, looks a bit like a Taco Bell (just my opinion!)

May catch up with you guys next Christmas
Triumphant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2015, 09:14   #6

Boat: Hunter Passage 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
No, I was talking about the marina behind Chabli Mar, which I believe is the same one Triumphant is referencing.

Same sentiment applies to Sancturary Bay though.
Right. Especially when they start these projects and then they go belly up. Here's Sanctuary with many unsold lots and an unfinished marina, etc, etc, etc

Regardless after this year in the E Caribbean I'll take Belize!!
nolagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2015, 07:33   #7

Quote:
Right. Especially when they start these projects and then they go belly up. Here's Sanctuary with many unsold lots and an unfinished marina, etc, etc, etc

Regardless after this year in the E Caribbean I'll take Belize!!
Too bad they are just leaving a ravaged ecosystem behind...mother nature will recover it over time though. Maybe a good buy for another investor...could probably pick it up for pennies on the dollar.

Ive talked with a few foolish souls over the years who paid pre-construction deposits at Sanctuary Bay...oops.

Tags
Belize, enc, lagoon