Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-04-2008, 07:55   #31

Location: West Indies, Now live aboard as cruiser/ voyager often with guest/ friends
Boat: 36' Bene
Send a message via ICQ to Reality Check
OK, Received my Customs & Border Protection Decal....

It states it is to be applied outside the conveyance within 18 inches of the normal boarding area where it is visible when the doors/ hatches are open.

I was under the impression the darn thing went on the mast. Sounds like I'm suppose to attach it to the area between the companionway entrance and the side of the boat used for boarding..... which varies depending on what the heck your doing on a sailboat.

I'm considering applying it about the boarding ladder on the sugar scoop on the stern of the boat. Same general place the Name and Port are located.

Where do you place your Decal???

And Yes I understand in many ports the request for the Decal number is often overlooked but by law your suppose to have it or go pay the fees which removes the advantage of having the LBO registration. Some at the local ICE ofice didn't know what one was but were able to find out when I requested info.
Old 24-04-2008, 08:14   #32
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
RC,

I put mine in the cockpit, right next to the companionway.
Old 24-04-2008, 08:30   #33

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reality Check View Post
OK, Received my Customs & Border Protection Decal....

It states it is to be applied outside the conveyance within 18 inches of the normal boarding area where it is visible when the doors/ hatches are open.

I was under the impression the darn thing went on the mast. Sounds like I'm suppose to attach it to the area between the companionway entrance and the side of the boat used for boarding..... which varies depending on what the heck your doing on a sailboat.

I'm considering applying it about the boarding ladder on the sugar scoop on the stern of the boat. Same general place the Name and Port are located.

Where do you place your Decal???

And Yes I understand in many ports the request for the Decal number is often overlooked but by law your suppose to have it or go pay the fees which removes the advantage of having the LBO registration. Some at the local ICE ofice didn't know what one was but were able to find out when I requested info.
As far as which side..............my experience has been that "extra stickers" go on the port side as "most" vessels, for the "most" part pass port-to-port.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2008, 12:26   #34

Boat: Mahe, 36' "Oceanview"
I placed mine right by the Florida registration sticker on the port side of the boat. These decals are supposed to have a digital chip in them that can be read by an agent that has a wireless device to check that it is up to date, you should never have to replace the decal just renew every year. However, I have never spoken to an agent that even knows there is a chip in the decal let alone have a wireless reader with them.
But it would be just my luck to hit the one guy who has all the stuff and I'm not up to date, so I just pay my fee every year.
Scott730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2008, 13:27   #35

Location: West Indies, Now live aboard as cruiser/ voyager often with guest/ friends
I can see through the decal I have and see nothing. Even the Numbers do not appear to be very readable by a code reader. I just don't care tor the color... it is a burnt red and white, just big enough to be ugly.

Well 12 more days!!! About ready to get back on da boat!
Old 24-04-2008, 19:46   #36

Boat: Freedom Express 39 cat ketch
Please don't be asking a bunch of questions about the decal from the local CBP guys when you get to the VI or they may start requiring it.
Rubikoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2008, 05:21   #37
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott730 View Post
These decals are supposed to have a digital chip in them that can be read by an agent that has a wireless device to check that it is up to date, you should never have to replace the decal just renew every year.
Scott,

There are two types of "User Fee" decals--with and without transponder (RFID). The one with the RFID is for motor vehicles; our boats use the non-RFID decal.

It's all here:
User Fee Decals and Transponders - CBP.gov
Old 27-04-2008, 14:23   #38

Boat: Mahe, 36' "Oceanview"
Hud
Thanks for the clarification. I tried feeling around on my decal and couldn't find anything that could be a chip, now I know why.

Scott
Scott730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2008, 17:51   #39

OK... Went from BVI to USVI and used the Local Boaters system.... made the call as I left the BVI waters and was asked only for the BR number and not asked about the decal which I did get.

I was informed I didn't need to call in until I actually reached my destination.

Since I typically am single handing it between BVI to St. Thomas this is realllLLLllYYYY nice!! No more hassle with Cruz Bay's lack of a place to anchor or moor other than the National Park 3 hour limit area near the Customs Building.

I love the idea of reducing both the time and having to go out of the way just to clear in using the older system.

Now if only BVI, and the other island nations would set up something similar!!! Fat Chance....

Still this is great for my use.
Old 21-05-2008, 18:05   #40
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 44' CSY "Walkover" cutter, La Nostra
Just to clarify, simply taking the ferry DOES NOT mean you don't have to do the customs and immigration thing! You still must clear out of the BVI and into the USVI, and the reverse when you return.
The same is true of all of the Caribbean countries - or any country, for that matter. Fees will vary - some as low as $12-15 US, others as high as $100 US or more between fees at customs and others at immigration ... and they usually vary depending on how long you plan to stay (which will be adjusted when you leave) and how many are on board. I can only speak of Grenada, St. Vincent and the Grenadines and St. Lucia withing the past few years, but in those countries clearing customs and clearing immigration are two separate steps, usually in different locations, and both must be done both when clearing in and clearing out. DO NOT simply try to ignore the law. Fines can be huge, courts will not accept ignorance as an excuse, and boats can be confiscated!
You are not going from state to state - you are going from country to country. They don't care if you are US or German or Russian - laws are laws, and everyone must abide by them! (Yes - I have actually witnessed US citizens who were on bareboat charters trying to bully their way through and avoid regulations because "They Are US Citizens"! Man - talk about being "Ugly Americans"!
REspect the people,the cultures, the environment and the laws and you'll be most welcome and will have a great time!
Located in the Sunny Caribbean
"Life's short ... Eat dessert first!"
harryrezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2008, 19:38   #41

Boat: 34 Sabre Tempest
Dave,

Unless you plan on staying a month, I can't imagine leaving the BVI to sail to St Thomas. I fly into St Thomas and ferry over to the BVI and my Charter, once I'm there..you need a crowbar to pry me loose.

Having said that, I spend my last afternoon and evening before flying home in a hotel in St Thomas. Some afternoon wandering and shopping and dinner out...is plenty of time in the USVI for me. I felt it helps, delay ...the " Having to go home" blues...
Spending my vacation time in customs lines would drive me crazy.

Tempest
Tempest245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2008, 07:49   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryrezz View Post
Just to clarify, simply taking the ferry DOES NOT mean you don't have to do the customs and immigration thing! You still must clear out of the BVI and into the USVI, and the reverse when you return.
The same is true of all of the Caribbean countries - or any country, for that matter. Fees will vary - some as low as $12-15 US, others as high as $100 US or more between fees at customs and others at immigration ... and they usually vary depending on how long you plan to stay (which will be adjusted when you leave) and how many are on board. I can only speak of Grenada, St. Vincent and the Grenadines and St. Lucia withing the past few years, but in those countries clearing customs and clearing immigration are two separate steps, usually in different locations, and both must be done both when clearing in and clearing out. DO NOT simply try to ignore the law. Fines can be huge, courts will not accept ignorance as an excuse, and boats can be confiscated!
You are not going from state to state - you are going from country to country. They don't care if you are US or German or Russian - laws are laws, and everyone must abide by them! (Yes - I have actually witnessed US citizens who were on bareboat charters trying to bully their way through and avoid regulations because "They Are US Citizens"! Man - talk about being "Ugly Americans"!
REspect the people,the cultures, the environment and the laws and you'll be most welcome and will have a great time!

Sorry but that is not actually true in the specific case this subject is about.

US citizens do not need to clear out of USVI prior to going to another country...

A US citizen does need to clear in when returning but different methods now exist that facilitates this requirement. The Local Boater Option is a prime example of how in some specific circumstances a boat does not have to necessarily check in at the customs and Immigrations office when entering the US, USVI or Pôrto Rico. This makes frequent trips between these islands much easier for those who have completed the requirements to obtain the registration as a Local Boater Option card holder. Even with the card, the Customs people may require you to appear for inspection if they have any question of if you happen to be the random check they are required to perform.

So far the LBO is a fantastic tool for those of us that frequently travel between BVI and US ports including USVI.

No one is talking about taking a ferry... LBO is only for private boats that have completed the registration process.
Old 22-05-2008, 08:09   #43

Ditto what Reality Check wrote above, he is absolutely correct.
Old 23-05-2008, 06:34   #44

Boat: Jeanneau 57
But conversely, isn't it true that most Caribbean countries will only let you clear in if you have officially cleared out of another country? The BVI might let you get away with it when coming from the neighbouring island - although I doubt it, as every time I've cleared into the BVI the first thing they wanted to see was paperwork from my last port of call. I have heard (anecdotal, from this and other forums) that some people have been denied entry because they had not cleared out elsewhere.
Zanshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2008, 07:04   #45

I can't comment on what happens in "most Carribbean countries". But I can assure you that I sail from the USVI to the BVI 20+ times a year and have never been asked for any paperwork regarding my departure from the USVI.

When you fill out your paperwork to clear into the BVI there is one question on the form that asks about your previous port of call. It would seem logical, that depending on how you answered that question would determine whether they would be looking for paperwork from your last port of call. For example if you checked the box labeled "Other" and then filled in the blank with St Martin, they would wish to see that paperwork. If you check the box "St Thomas" they would know that there is no paperwork required to leave the USA.

As to people being denied entry for not having paperwork from clearing out...Couldn't one just check the box labeled St Thomas? That of course would be illegal and not right which may carry large consequences. I wonder if there is more scrutiny depending on where the passport is issued from?

Zanshin maybe you are not paranoid. Everybody really is out to get you. Seriously, have you ever sailed from the USVI to the BVI?

Tags
anchor, anchorages, British Virgin Islands, customs