Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-05-2017, 07:36   #61

Boat: Seafarer36c
Re: Caribbean Ceuising

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post
Methinks in the Bahamas they are mostly Canadian. More than half.

Well even Mexico is in America.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2017, 07:52   #62

Re: Cruising the Caribbean

Quote:
Originally Posted by deluxe68 View Post
What does the dm at the end of your name signify? Did you mean to put md (for Medical Doctor)?
No, he failed med school.

Aka a dentist.
PhiSig1071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2017, 07:53   #63

Boat: offshore 8 meter

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielamartindm View Post
I am the retiree owner of a 39 foot Leopard catamaran searching for cruising destinations. In reviewing the Caribbean and its crime statistics, I find it not worth the risk of theft, assault, and even murder.

Read the accounts of crimes against world cruisers who had the temerity to be affluent and bring a source of income to the citizens of corrupt, third-world nations in the Caribbean, and you'll notice three things: a general hostility toward America, a determination on the part of local governments to look the other way regarding crimes against "wealthy" yacht owners, and a tendency to blame the victims of crimes perpetrated by locals. There is no justice to be had in the Caribbean for those Westerners who are ripped off, assaulted, and even murdered by locals. The statistics alone bear this out.

I will sail to the Caymans because there have been no appreciable attacks against my kind (free citizens of the world who played by the rules and found enough success to buy a yacht and cruise there). The rest of the Caribbean will do without my dollars, or cell phones, or outboards, or cash, or electronics, or credit cards, or dinghies. Caribbean nations will jail you for a long time if you bring the firearms that you need to defend yourself from their desperate, ARMED, impoverished masses; and half the time, they will even refuse to provide a written copy of your complaint.

I will sail the Gulf Coast of America, and legally carry arms to resist any pirate or generic dirtbag who looks to take what I've worked to have. I don't need "The Caribbean," there are plenty of equally gorgeous destinations in American venues where thieves are actually prosecuted. "The Caribbean," at this point, is a bunch of thieves biting the hand that feeds them.

Dr. Daniel A. Martin
hi, ive cruised the caribbean four times between 1986 and 2015 and im going again this year. its not particularly dangerous but obviously theres some crime and you soon learn from other cruisers where to avoid, remember nowheres crime free. not being political but theres no islamic terrorism there so you could consider it safer than europe or america at the moment. and the locals generally dont carry guns.piracy seems to be nearer the south american coast, as a brit ive been warned about america as you all cary guns, id feel safer in the caribbean regards
scallowayuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2017, 08:57   #64
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonc View Post
There's 350,000,000 firearms circulating in the US. I feel so safe.
Considering that the overwhelming majority of guns are owned by law abiding US citizens, yes I do feel safe in the US. And since you don't live in the US, your opinion really doesn't matter.

Stay where you are and feel safe.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2017, 09:18   #65

Boat: offshore 8 meter

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielamartindm View Post
I am the retiree owner of a 39 foot Leopard catamaran searching for cruising destinations. In reviewing the Caribbean and its crime statistics, I find it not worth the risk of theft, assault, and even murder.

Read the accounts of crimes against world cruisers who had the temerity to be affluent and bring a source of income to the citizens of corrupt, third-world nations in the Caribbean, and you'll notice three things: a general hostility toward America, a determination on the part of local governments to look the other way regarding crimes against "wealthy" yacht owners, and a tendency to blame the victims of crimes perpetrated by locals. There is no justice to be had in the Caribbean for those Westerners who are ripped off, assaulted, and even murdered by locals. The statistics alone bear this out.

I will sail to the Caymans because there have been no appreciable attacks against my kind (free citizens of the world who played by the rules and found enough success to buy a yacht and cruise there). The rest of the Caribbean will do without my dollars, or cell phones, or outboards, or cash, or electronics, or credit cards, or dinghies. Caribbean nations will jail you for a long time if you bring the firearms that you need to defend yourself from their desperate, ARMED, impoverished masses; and half the time, they will even refuse to provide a written copy of your complaint.

I will sail the Gulf Coast of America, and legally carry arms to resist any pirate or generic dirtbag who looks to take what I've worked to have. I don't need "The Caribbean," there are plenty of equally gorgeous destinations in American venues where thieves are actually prosecuted. "The Caribbean," at this point, is a bunch of thieves biting the hand that feeds them.

Dr. Daniel A. Martin
YOUR OBVIOUSLY A TROLL REPLYING TO POLITE ADVICE WITH NASTINESS. AS YOU SAY MY OPINION ON AMERICA AS A SAFE DESTINATION IS BASED ON A COMPUTER CHECK BUT SO IS YOUR COMMENTS ABOUT THE CARIBBEAN BUT CHECK THE STATISTICS ON GUN CRIME IN BOTH YOU IDIOTOTIC COMPUTER WARRIOR. I DOUBT IF YOU EVEN HAVE A YACHT, YOU WOULDNT LAST LONG ANYWHERE WITH YOUR ATTITUDE .
scallowayuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2017, 10:28   #66

Boat: Lagoon 450

Masonic was inflammatory in his expression, but his core complaints about the USA are basically sound.

I am an American, raised on the West coast, lived in Texas, lived in Asia for 6 years. Lots of different experiences.

The USA is just plain more dangerous than any of the other G20 first-world countries. It just is. Whether you are pro-gun or anti-gun there is no denying that the shear number of guns in the USA contributes to homicide rates that are more than an order of magnitude worse than anywhere else besides Honduras, Venezuela, Somalia, etc... we are competing with failed countries for homicide rates.

The TSA & Border Control are awful - both to citizens and non-citizens. If I was not a citizen I would not choose to endure the process, paperwork and sometimes outright humiliation of dealing with USA border control.

And while there are an amazing number of friendly, peaceful, helpful Americans, on the whole Americans have the least experience in foreign travel and are often exhibit xenophobic attitudes.

He could have made his charges more polite, but they are not falsehoods.

The OP is clearly a troll. I wish he was real, then I would simply agree with him - and congratulate him on his decision to keep his angry, fearful, xenophobic self & guns to Florida.

-Erik
exitstrategy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2017, 10:45   #67

Boat: CheoyLee Offshore 33
Send a message via Skype™ to masonc

Americans feel they should be able to enter any country with only their driving license but foreigners should jump through hoops backwards tho enter the US. I still believe the US is the greatest country in the world bit I get a bit tired of the myopic vision of the rest of the world. The US has taken over the British attitude of being the center of the world, infallible and entitled.
masonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2017, 11:09   #68
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

If I'm in a place where I feel l need a gun to feel safe, then it's time to move on as I'm obviously in the wrong place.
smj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2017, 11:10   #69

Location: Dreaming - through the bars to the Chesapeake... Land cabin: near Raleigh, North Carolina

If one of every one hundred persons is an *ss, then in a little village you have only one or a couple of them, and they're tolerated. In a big city, you have a bunch more that fit in the category. There are more Americans than anybody else in the region, and more of them have sailing money. So - naturally they're perceived to be bad tourists because of the high numbers, and even one of them tarnishes the whole lot. To make matters worse, the Americans are funneled into these small Caribbean nations, rather than being spread out across America.
Old 22-05-2017, 12:06   #70

Some facts. Seems to be getting worse?

https://www.safetyandsecuritynet.com/5180-2/

https://fusiontables.google.com/data...ExNJ#rows:id=1

https://fusiontables.google.com/data...D#summary:id=5

Flyingriki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2017, 13:16   #71
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Cruising the Caribbean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madwand View Post
How many 300 million population countries with a 20 million illegal alien problem have you been to? I'm guessing none. Because other countries dont play. And God forbid they make an effort to keep more criminals out of the country by fingerprinting visitors. What was the rude question they asked you? I'd really love to hear this.
Hey don't whinge at me coz your DHS concentrates on EU citizens who 'may have smoked a joint in the past' coming into the E Coast.. and the only reason you've so many illegals from the South is everyone wants a cheap maid/gardener they can threaten with deportation if they're cheeky enough to ask for a pay rise..
As for the questioning.. was sent to an office where two FAT black officers were munching MacDonalds.. had to stand there for 10-15 minutes till they'd finished whereupon they grilled me about why I was there.. checked me for 'illegal cash' as I said I'd come to buy a boat.. turned over my luggage then told me to get out in 90days as they love to deport folks like me.
Would not have minded but I was better groomed than they were..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Human Rights only matter when it's politically expedient..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2017, 13:30   #72

Boat: 1962 Sunfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Hey don't whinge at me coz your DHS concentrates
I'm not the one whining about immigration rules. But this ain't an island or a banana republic. You'll have to tolerate a question or two to get in. And you'll get in anyway. Don't know about the comments, pretty anticlimactic...maybe you said winge to them, or something.
Madwand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2017, 13:38   #73

Boat: Boatless

Obviously the reason that Boatman is not robbed is the same reason immigration hassled him... He looks disreputable...

Last cruising place I had to prepare to fight my way out of was a bar on the City dock in Poole England...which is probably a place Boatman has been drinking.

As flyingriki posts there is lots of crime in the Caribbean, I know 5 boats robbed/attacked at gun or knife point.

As for crime in South Florida...I live in Miami and probably know as many people there as I know cruisers in the Caribbean. I do not know a single person in Miami who has been robbed at gun point.

The Caribbean is a great cruising area but you need to avoid the crime hot spots as per the Security Net and be defensive. My dinghy is lifted and locked with a very heavy chain, we lock ourselves in at night and I do not anchor in remote anchorages.

As for defensive weapons...that is just not a subject discussed at happy hour! Very bright deck lights and very loud noise devices are probably smarter defenses that guns.

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2017, 15:39   #74
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Moondancer View Post
Obviously the reason that Boatman is not robbed is the same reason immigration hassled him... He looks disreputable...

Last cruising place I had to prepare to fight my way out of was a bar on the City dock in Poole England...which is probably a place Boatman has been drinking.

Hmmm..!!! could have been one of several places.. The Jolly Sailor.. The Lord Nelson.. The Poole Arms.. etc etc..
Poole has a big Royal Marines training camp and they can on occasion get a bit stroppy..
Lived there for a dozen years.. great sailing grounds..

Old 22-05-2017, 15:47   #75
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madwand View Post
I'm not the one whining about immigration rules. But this ain't an island or a banana republic. You'll have to tolerate a question or two to get in. And you'll EVENTUALLY get in anyway. Don't know about the comments, pretty anticlimactic...maybe you said winge to them, or something.
I'm not whining about the rules.. just stating a fact about your border force.. they're grumpy ignorant ********..

Tags
Caribbean, cruising, rib