Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-05-2017, 15:08   #46

Boat: 1962 Sunfish
Re: Cruising the Caribbean

I'm not gonna argue guns with an anti gun person. But all you're doing is spouting misinformation, same as the OP.
Madwand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2017, 15:54   #47

Boat: Swan 432

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielamartindm View Post
How about going beyond your limited experiences and statistically re viewing the crime data that occurs to the rest of cruisers who frequent the waters you've sailed? Firearms are not even an issue because of local laws. Read the statistics of crime. Personal testimonials mean nothing next to them.
What does the dm at the end of your name signify? Did you mean to put md (for Medical Doctor)?
deluxe68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2017, 15:54   #48

Boat: Custom 55

Regarding the OP

While I'm sure that your absence in the Caribbean will be terribly lamented by both the locals and other cruisers, I trust in the resilience of the good people down there to persevere and overcome the blow.

Seriously, it's really not that bad down there.

Probably the next time we go, however, we'll avoid the southern islands in the EC. I'd probably choose Panama over Trinidad this time around for hurricane season, for example.

TJ
Old 21-05-2017, 16:44   #49
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Cruising the Caribbean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madwand View Post
Well, since you generalized, almost everything. There is some paperwork required...
Fingerprints, Retina scan and an invariably rude questioning.. not experienced in any other country I've been to.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Human Rights only matter when it's politically expedient..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2017, 19:15   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Fingerprints, Retina scan and an invariably rude questioning.. not experienced in any other country I've been to.
I agree with you BOATIE The border guards are real pieces of work in the USA...
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2017, 19:24   #51

Quote:
Well the key is to not check in and just come on in to the good old USA. Then you can even march down a city street demanding every right entitled to citizens without fear of being arrested, (even though your here illegally).
surb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2017, 20:06   #52

Boat: Tinker Traveller...a dozen feet of bluewater awesomeness!

The world is not a safe place. This fact is so true, that everyone now alive on this planet (however many billion that is) will all be DEAD!
It's shocking, really. Eventually, we're all truly screwed.
Take whatever risks you like, or don't, one day your number will be up.

One day I hope to sail to Saba, among other places.
snort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2017, 03:09   #53

Quote:
How many 300 million population countries with a 20 million illegal alien problem have you been to? I'm guessing none. Because other countries dont play. And God forbid they make an effort to keep more criminals out of the country by fingerprinting visitors. What was the rude question they asked you? I'd really love to hear this.
Old 22-05-2017, 05:01   #54

Boat: Lagoon 450 F
Re: Caribbean Ceuising

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Only guns I've run across in the Bahamas were those owned by the paranoid American cruiser.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
GOLD !
Catapault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2017, 05:12   #55

Boat: Lagoon 450 F

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonc View Post
As a Caribbean person, cruising and living in the Caribbean, I wouldn't consider visiting the USA. It's easy to unsafe. There place is populated by gun toting rednecks, crime is out of sight, and there are more people in jail than in any other country. The government kills people.
The people of the US.A. are generally unfriendly to foreigners, they take your finger prints at the airport, require all kinds of paperwork, and they hate other religions.
The people of the USA do not treat travelers they way they expect to be treated, they feel entitled and think their money should make everyone else beholden to them. I'll pass, thanks.
Fraid thats also a massive over-generalization, heading somewhat similar to the OP's post.

I found living in the US to be perfectly safe, people were generally very friendly, with a high level of customer service. (note: I'm NOT an American).

Border protection is a nations right, and I have no real problem how they police it. Is going into the US a pain ? yes (and i've done it a lot). Talking to CBP at times can be a bit intimidating, but do realize they do it for a reason.

You have idiots ANYWHERE, and people with that overpowering sense of entitlement (like the OP) everywhere. Treat them with the contempt they deserve, but lets not tar the world with the same brush. Sadly there are many many terrible tourists, which give the rest of us a really bad name.

I personally fine, that when your in someone elses country if you comply with THEIR rules, and way of life, you will have a much much nicer time and enjoy the travel. (note: whilst I havn't cruised much yet, I've travelled the world for over 30 years for work and pleasure).

Overall, to world over, people are kind, honest, want to help, interested in looking after themselves and their families first, and generally peacefull.

My opinion, for what its worth.
Catapault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2017, 05:20   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
Exactly. Almost all the cruisers are American's too.
Methinks in the Bahamas they are mostly Canadian. More than half.
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2017, 05:48   #57

Boat: Heritage 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post
Methinks in the Bahamas they are mostly Canadian. More than half.
But we're probably not the ones with guns? The only place I've carried other than work was Labrador and that was so I wasn't lunch!
Kalinka1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2017, 05:51   #58

It's amazing how all these American "rednecks" are just waving their guns in the air all over the Caribbean where these scientific studies on gun carry have been conducted.
Old 22-05-2017, 06:27   #59

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

The only guns We have seen in 6 months of being in the Bahamas are those worn by the defense force.
The world has unsafe places, being careless or ignorant in those unsafe places and you can wind up in trouble.
Be smart, be aware, plan accordingly and avoid the really bad areas and the world is awesome!
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2017, 07:26   #60

Boat: a sailing boat

Of the places we have visited this far, only Venezuela and Panama were doggy. Elsewhere it was from average to great. I think I could spend two or three years cruising the Windwards only. People who know the Eastern part claim the same is true there.

Hit the road Jack ;-). Have fun!

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Caribbean, cruising, rib