Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-02-2015, 05:08   #1

crossing to mexico

I would like to get some information about crossing to Mexico ,
I looking to buy a proline 2950 WA , with 2 x 225 hp , since I Canadian my plan is to got from Florida , Cuba , and Islas de mujeres Mexico , can it be done and how dangerous is it to do that , the length from Cuba to Mexico is only 140 nm , if you could get me some help that would be really great
rvaudrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2015, 17:46   #2

Boat: Burger 74' motor yacht, 65 foot 12 metre, Flicka and sailing dinghy
Re: crossing to mexico

Crossing open water in a small boat with gasoline outboards has been done and if you pick good weather its possible. But risky. Outboards can be dependable but not on the level of a diesel. What if you lose one of the engines?
A 21' center console is not made to cross open water.
Fountain did Key West to Isla Mujeres in a matter of hours in a 48' diesel express cruiser. I had a 47' Fountain gasoline rocket and would not dream of trying to cross 140 miles of ocean in it.

Sent from an undisclosed location on the high seas or from the lounge chair by the pool, you decide.

Tags
Mexico