Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-05-2012, 06:30   #1

Boat: Herreshoff Eagle
Crew Flying Into Bahamas -- Best Pickup?

I have some teenaged nephews flying into the Bahamas to meet us somewhere between Georgetown and Bimini ...

Can anyone speak to the ease of picking them up in Nassau -- I would hate to have to anchor in the harbor there, given what I've read ...

We are dropping some friends off in Georgetown, and timing considerations leave me inclined to make some northing before our nephews arrive ... thus the Nassau idea, but other ideas are most welcome.

Suggestions and advice gratefully received!

"Money's just something to throw off the back of a train;
Got a head full of lightning, and a hat full of rain."
jglauds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2012, 08:00   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Crew Flying Into Bahamas -- Best Pickup?

You don't mention where the nephews' flight originates but in general for convenience on their side, no or fewer connecting flights and the most options Nassau is the best option.

Been a while since I was in Nassau but there were spots to anchor. I think the better spot was about 1/2 mile west of the bridge, better holding than spots closer to the bridge that are more in the main current. Be careful as the current rips through the harbor and several spots the bottom is rock with a few inches of sand on top. First time I anchored in Nassau I went to a spot where I saw 8-10 boats anchored so found an open spot and dropped the hook and drug immediately. Tried several times and could feel the anchor occasionally hook on a rock but never dug in. Was slack tide so left crew at the helm while I dove in to check. Saw all the boats there were tied to engine blocks and such on the bottom so found an unused one and joined the club.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2012, 08:07   #3

Boat: 1994 Prout Manta Catamaran

They can fly into Staniel Cay on Watermakers Air from Fort Lauderdale.

When we had visitors fly into Nassau, we stayed at a marina and had them take a taxi to the marina. They left to fly back to Nassau from Staniel Cay on a small charter plane, about $100 pp. By departing early in the morning they made their afternoon fllight to the US and didn't have to stay in a hotel.

Flights into George Town are easy. You can arrange for a taxi to pick them up and bring them to the dinghy dock at Exuma Markets, or if you are anchored across the harbour at Stocking Island, you can even arrange for Elvis to pick them up at the dinghy dock and deliver them to your boat in his water taxi. Car rentals are available if you want to pick them up yourself.

If you stay at Emerald Bay Marina (just north of George Town on Great Exuma), it's a fairly short taxi ride to the airport if you want to collect them personally.

Entlie
Sailing Catamaran Sunspot Baby
Entlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2012, 13:54   #4

Boat: Herreshoff Eagle

Thanks all -- reservations into Georgetown ...

/jon

"Money's just something to throw off the back of a train;
Got a head full of lightning, and a hat full of rain."
jglauds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2012, 06:50   #5

Location: hailing port: Pensacola on the stern, bodies in Fort Myers
Boat: Prout Snowgoose 37'

Taxis to/from Georgetown airport are crazy expensive if you are staying at the anchorages in Elizabeth Harbour, unfortunately. Emerald Bay, closer to the airport and therefore a less costly taxi ride, also has excellent showers, and air-conditioned clubhouse with free wifi, and laundry is free for boats staying there. If you can get by on the "no-service" (no power) dock it's $1/ft/nt ($40 minimum) and if you are already a member of the Royal Marsh Harbour Yacht Club you can get the power dock for $0.75/ft/nt. Great deal if you use marinas, and "Royal" membership also gets you some stateside marina discounts.

Now if the weather would just clear up and the trades re-establish themselves!
AquatiCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2012, 07:05   #6

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquatiCat View Post
Taxis to/from Georgetown airport are crazy expensive if you are staying at the anchorages in Elizabeth Harbour, unfortunately.es!
Don't think this is correct. The taxi is only $30 and many folks share taxis which makes it even cheaper. The taxi drivers in GT are very helpful, just tell them the flight (you don't even have to know the flight number, just the airline) and they will pick up your guests and take them to the dinghy dock or where you want to meet them . They will call you on VHF to tell you when they're in or if there's a delay etc.

Tags
Bahamas, crew