Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-01-2017, 08:49   #16

Boat: Catalina 375
Re: Clearing out Savannah, GA (US boat, foreign crew)

Not my business however why would you want a Green Card if on H1B. Do you understand the income tax implications of a Green Card?
Ardbeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2017, 08:55   #17

Boat: Pearson 303

Quote:
Originally Posted by svlamorocha View Post
Attached is a copy of the clear-out form that I get from CBP every time I leave US waters.

Then I use that form as back-up document to ask DHS to record my departure properly and protect me from idiots working for DHS later. When I was a corporate expat I had a law firm charge a fortune for this. Now I do it myself following the process described here:

https://www.tnvisaexpert.com/article...to-return-i94/

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/internati...ns/i94-rollout

Now with electronic I-94s the detail is a bit different but the essence is the same. If you are an "alien" you always have to be prepared to presume you are innocent!

Another story if the boat is not "documented" with USCG but only "registered" with the state then the boat is considered foreign boat for some purposes, even if it has never left the US.
What do you mean by it's considered a foreign boat? My boat is only state registered (Maryland), not with USCG. If I live in Miami and took my boat to Bahamas for one trip and back again, it needs to be declared out with a zarpe?
I found this, not valid if not a USCG registered vessel?
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...tml#post184143
sveinung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2017, 10:27   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardbeg View Post
Not my business however why would you want a Green Card if on H1B. Do you understand the income tax implications of a Green Card?
Somewhat off topic, but happy to answer
H1B is time limited (2x 3 years) and I have no immediate plans on returning home and almost done with my first round. I'm from a country with a higher tax level than the US (Norway) so if I were to move home it wouldn't mean more than having to file, not pay extra taxes (bi-lateral tax treaty).
Green card also gives you huge liberties around changing jobs, taking a break and most importantly the right line at the airport when trying to get through customs (the foreigner line can be very unpredictable).
Old 18-01-2017, 12:14   #19

pirate Re: Clearing out Savannah, GA (US boat, foreign crew)

Alright, finally got some information from the horse's mouth (I finally made it to the helpful horse!).

I talked to an officer Walker at the Savannah CBP office and he answered direct in some cases (not the usual hand waving) and asked colleagues on others. Very helpful.

We do nothing when we leave, no flight plan, no checking out etc (small private vessel).

When we get back, I'm sure we'll get the long treatment, but as was mentioned by Lars (?), they'll realize something is off when I re-enter without leaving first.
My Bahamas entry documents is proof of departure (better not lose my passport, heh). The I-94 system will create a new A number for me and the officer will have to put in that date manually from my Bahamas entry when I get back.

My buddy on his ESTA VWP can not return on the boat, but will have to use a commercial carrier of some sort.

I'll make sure to update this thread when I get back (cross fingers) with my experience in case anyone else is in the same boat.
Old 18-01-2017, 16:11   #20

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by svlamorocha View Post
Attached is a copy of the clear-out form that I get from CBP every time I leave US waters.

Then I use that form as back-up document to ask DHS to record my departure properly and protect me from idiots working for DHS later. When I was a corporate expat I had a law firm charge a fortune for this. Now I do it myself following the process described here:
https://www.tnvisaexpert.com/article...to-return-i94/
https://www.cbp.gov/travel/internati...ns/i94-rollout
Now with electronic I-94s the detail is a bit different but the essence is the same. If you are an "alien" you always have to be prepared to presume you are innocent!
Another story if the boat is not "documented" with USCG but only "registered" with the state then the boat is considered foreign boat for some purposes, even if it has never left the US.
You are an alien here on a visa. It either grants you the right to leave and reenter or it does not. The fact you bought and registered/documented a boat in the US means exactly nothing.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2017, 16:20   #21

Boat: Leopard 40 (new model)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sveinung View Post
Alright, finally got some information from the horse's mouth (I finally made it to the helpful horse!).

I talked to an officer Walker at the Savannah CBP office and he answered direct in some cases (not the usual hand waving) and asked colleagues on others. Very helpful.

We do nothing when we leave, no flight plan, no checking out etc (small private vessel).

When we get back, I'm sure we'll get the long treatment, but as was mentioned by Lars (?), they'll realize something is off when I re-enter without leaving first.
My Bahamas entry documents is proof of departure (better not lose my passport, heh). The I-94 system will create a new A number for me and the officer will have to put in that date manually from my Bahamas entry when I get back.

My buddy on his ESTA VWP can not return on the boat, but will have to use a commercial carrier of some sort.

I'll make sure to update this thread when I get back (cross fingers) with my experience in case anyone else is in the same boat.
Walker is lazy.

You may be held up for 5 hours and lose a connecting flight if you enter the US and there is no record of your previous departure.

If you do not look forward to that and do not want yo rely on luck your best option is to exercise your right to get a clear-out form and then follow the process in the links I posted.

If you ever want to apply for citizenship you will need those records.

Forget what I say if the trip outside the US would put you over the absence limit to be eligible for citizenship.
svlamorocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2017, 16:25   #22

Boat: Leopard 40 (new model)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave22q View Post
You are an alien here on a visa. It either grants you the right to leave and reenter or it does not. The fact you bought and registered/documented a boat in the US means exactly nothing.
In that paragraph I was referring to the awkward rules by which a boat that is owned by an "alien"(even if state registered) in theory has to clear in and out of every PORT when sailing within the US, as if it was a foreign flag boat without a cruising license.
svlamorocha is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crew