Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-10-2018, 10:10   #1

Boat: Jeanneau SO469
Chesapeake bay to Bahamas November 2018

I plan on leaving Norfolk for an offshore route to Bahamas when weather allows in early November. Anyone else planing similar?
Peeew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2018, 16:25   #2

Boat: Beneteau 323
Re: Chesapeake bay to Bahamas November 2018

I have my crew standing by for a departure between Nov. 25 and Dec. 8 from Folly Beach, SC. Headed to GTC.
Capt. Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2018, 06:50   #3

Boat: 1988 Hans Christian 33

Hey Capt. Greg, I live on JI and have seen your Bene on the docks at SCYC. I'm quite envious of your trip to the Abacos. Wishing you fair winds, etc.
Lowcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2018, 07:15   #4

For the last 4 years we have done this trip the weather windows have been too short at the times we wanted to leave, so we hug the coast to stay out of the gulf stream and can pull into many of the ports along the way if needed, or just keep sailing through the night if weather stays good. Coast wise we also have internet access as we pass the Capes to get good weather info. We will be leaving in mid November as this is when our insurance exclusion for named storms cuts out. There is a potential hurricane looming right now in the middle of the Atlantic.
Bean Counter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2018, 07:22   #5

Boat: Beneteau 323

Hi Lowcountry! Thanks for the well wishes. I am pretty excited about the trip, my wife says I'm obsessed. I am.

This past spring break, my buddy and I trailered my Key West 2020 to West Palm, put in and crossed to GTC. I've powerboated to Bimini many times, but that was my first (and probably last) trip to the Abacos. Between teaching and chartering, it is tough to take extended time away from home so I've always taken my powerboat to the Bahamas. This will be my first trip sailing there. Plan is to leave Water Music in GTC and fly back with my family for a couple of vacations. I'll top it off with a boy's trip to GTC, at the end of which, I'll sail her back to Folly.

I have a couple of bachelorette charters this weekend, please stop by and say hello if you see me on the docks.

Bean Counter-best of luck to you, hope to see you down there!
Capt. Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2018, 08:49   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peeew View Post
I plan on leaving Norfolk for an offshore route to Bahamas when weather allows in early November. Anyone else planing similar?
Of course, lot's and lot's of people doing the same. A large crowd leaving from Norfolk with the Salty Dawg Rally on (or about Nov 3) and the Caribbean ARC rally follows right on their heels. If you are worried about the weather window you might tag along with one of those groups at the start.

With just a little bit of weather patience an offshore route outside the gulf stream is almost always much faster and easier to anyplace south and east of Jacksonville, FL. If you have an offshore capable boat, and are not scared of 30 knots of wind on the ocean, leave the inlet hoping for the powerboats.

Right now our plans are to leave from 10/29 Annapolis and go south al in one go.
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2018, 08:46   #7

Capt. Greg and Everyone!
I’m a new Captain on 1st sailboat (Catalina 36) looking to follow someone across ..
Currently on anchor it’s “Isle of Palms” near ICW.
I’m not on a timeframe.
Also, if anyone could help with directing me to find a someone to join as crew ?

Best regards,

Bob
NoWorries1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2018, 04:34   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Bob.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas, chesapeake bay