Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-03-2015, 14:01   #16
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Re: Chesapeake Bay, Reedville, VA - Good Marinas?

They did, and it's worlds better than it used to be when I was a kid, but you can still smell it when you're downwind. Back in the days before the cleanup, we could smell it 15 miles up the Potomac when the wind blew from the ESE.
Old 30-03-2015, 17:04   #17

I live outside Washington DC in Virginia but keep my 37 ft sloop in Reedville at Jennings Boatyard. The boatyard/marina is located directly across from the fish processing plant on Cockrell Creek and the town of Reedville is just up the creek. The marina Is very protected (one reason I chose it) and they have just installed a new floating dock system. They have water, power, a pump out station and haul out capability. Fuel can be obtained next door at the Fairport Marina. What they don't have is a nice restroom/shower facility but the existing one is scheduled to be replaced this season (I believe). Boats are safe there - theft has not been an issue at all. The owner lives on site. Both Jennings and Fairport have easy access to the Chesapeake. A restaurant is located at the Fairport marina. As for the smell from the plant - that is at its worse when they are transferring the "residue" from processing fish to a tanker which then transports it out of the area. Most other times it's not an issue but when filing the tanker it can be overpowering. Hope this is useful.
Michael (s/v Alize)
Pathfinder37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2015, 06:31   #18
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Watkins 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
They did, and it's worlds better than it used to be when I was a kid, but you can still smell it when you're downwind. Back in the days before the cleanup, we could smell it 15 miles up the Potomac when the wind blew from the ESE.
There were days we could smell it in Kilmarnock almost 20 miles away, and that was only two years ago. We bought our boat in Reedville and lived on it for about a month before we left for Kilmarnock. I love the area, but the smell is pretty bad. Especially in the summer. All we had was a fan, and we didn't use it much to try not to circulate the smell.
NoQuarter79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2015, 08:07   #19
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

After making some uncomplimentary comments about the smell, I should say that Reedville is a very charming Tidewater village. It has some beautiful Victorian homes and a rich history, which you can learn about in the local museum. It was founded by Captain Elijah Reed in the late 1880s specifically as a menhaden fishing base. It was known as the wealthiest town in the US at one point, entirely due to the lucrative menhaden industry. I guess the locals must sniff the air and say, "Smells like money to me!"
Old 31-03-2015, 08:11   #20
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Watkins 27

Oh don't get me wrong. I did enjoy the town. It was small and sparse, but the people and food are great. There's this one particular restaurant/diner we love. It's right beside a tiny little gas station with old lookin' pumps, and I never saw a name or a sign over the place, but it is probably the best breakfast we've ever had.

There's another place called "Krazy Crab" something like that, where you can dock your boat there and go eat.

In my opinion the further south you go, the better the food gets.
NoQuarter79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 16:20   #21

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by BozSail View Post
My wife and I are considering moving from Connecticut to Reedville, Virginia on the Chesapeake Bay. We would be moving our Endeavour 37 sailboat there and either buy a home with a dock with at least 5 ft. mlw depth (if we can afford that) or buying a home inland and renting a slip yearound at a marina. Can anyone familiar with that area give us some pointers or general suggestions?

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
I suggest you find a local real estate agent (on the Internet) and discuss what you are looking for and your price range, etc. Have him or her send you listings of properties that might fit your needs. This is what we did before retiring to SC. They will know about the docks and proximity to marinas.

Active captain will provide you with basic information on marinas and their websites where you can get more information.
Old 02-04-2015, 01:41   #22

Boat: Endeavour 37

Thanks everyone for your very helpful replies. I have contacted a local broker, but very much appreciate all the unbiased advice and comments from cf members. Boz ☺

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
BozSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 03:36   #23

Boat: Valiant 40

I'll second the concern about fish smell. Reedville is home to the largest menhaden fishing fleet on the east coast and Omega Protein's fish processing plant. It's probably a seasonal and wind direction related issue.

Personally, there are other places that I would look in that area such as Urbanna VA and other areas along the Rappahannock. Deltaville is not among them as there is not really a town there per se but more like a strip of stores along the main road to the marinas and boatyards. But it comes down to what you're looking for.

Can you give us some more info on what your needs are (commuting, etc.) and how you zeroed in on Reedville?
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chesapeake bay, marinas