Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-07-2009, 16:32   #1

Boat: Knysna 480
Charlotte Harbor

My wife and I are looking for sail boat property in Port Charlotte and Punta Gorda to find a home for our boat away from home. I would appreciate any feedback regarding the sailing, the waters, the people and some of the daysailing destinations in Charlotte harbor. Any coments will be appreciated. Also is there a marina in the area that can do a haul out on a 25 foot beam cat?
rjrendemd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 16:56   #2

Boat: Privilege 37
Charlotte Harbor is a great place for a home port. You have good water depths between Punta Gorda and Boca Grande inlet and mostly good depths south to Ft Meyers.

The northern section has wide open water and is great for daysailing. South of Boca Grande is an ICW with good depths, but you need to stay in the channel. Our favortie destinations are Pelican Bay (south of Boca inlet), Cabbage Key (great restaurant), Sanibel Island and St James City. You have easy access to Gulf of Mexico through Boca Grande inlet or via Sanibel Island bridge (at least 70ft clearance).

Bob and Annies marina is located in St James City (southern end of Pine Island) has a marine railroad that hauls out many cats. I believe that can handle 25' + beam.

I think Charlotte harbor and Tampa Bay (our home port) are the nicest sailing locations on Fl west coast. They both have quick access to daysailing in large bodies of sheltered water with good depths. Most other locations are along the intracoastal waterway and there is often a long run out to the Gulf of Mexico before you can raise "the laundry."
Old 03-07-2009, 17:41   #3

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Ditto what he said.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 18:18   #4

Boat: Knysna 480
Thanks for the feedback. It sounds like there are a lot of destinations to explore in the harbor. We were pleasantly surprised at the cost of real estate there and have just bid on a Port Charlotte canal property. It seems lake a good place to use as a home port for trips to the keys and the southern atlantic coast. Maybe even Cuba in the near future. Please continue to educate me about the area.
rjrendemd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 07:25   #5

I'm out the door to go sailing on Charlotte Harbor right now. It's great. Today we have the "Freedom Swim" in which a bunch of maniacs swim, kayak, and boat across the upper harbor. I'm planning to avoid that area...
Tom Ray is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Charlotte Harbor