Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-06-2014, 17:54   #1

BVI June Weather

I have chartered the past two years (March & April) In the BVI. Awesome time & great weather.

I was thinking of doing a June trip next year so I can include family members who are teachers. I see for example the Tortola yearly weather averages have minimal increase in June from March & April. However, that is probably a land reading. Has anyone chartered in June/July who can compare it to the spring?

Also I noticed charter companies "off season" are summer months. Is that because of higher temperatures or lack of interest during this period.

Thanks!
rpoint16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 12:52   #2

Re: BVI June weather

The Caribbean hurricane season begins in June, and the seas maybe rougher. While unlikely in June, there is always a chance, that is the main reason why prices are cheaper. Another reason for cheaper prices is that it will be hotter, just as you said.
jrb1001psu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 14:01   #3

Off to Tortola this Sunday for a week to tie up loose ends as we are moving out to live in September.
A lot of the beach / boat orientated business are often closed in the off season I am told and as stated above ... It's warmer
But I will report back on my return
Hoofsmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 16:38   #4

Boat: Jeanneau 57

While I left the BVI two days ago, I'm in the USVI right now and can see Jost from where I'm anchored. June weather is awesome - no danger of Christmas winds howling the whole time and the winds are still strong enough for some great sailing.
June is in the insurance companies' hurricane season, but the meteorological season has yet to start. The anchorages are not quite empty but never full; this really is a nice time of year to be here! The stores don't close until August or September, so everything is still open.
I've been here in August and when the winds die (which happens more often than not) it gets very, very hot and sticky. And there's always the chance of a big storm hitting the Caribbean, particularly in late August. I believe the bell-curve of hurricane activity peaks on September 9th so the close you are to that date the bigger the chances of a storm (even a tropical depression/storm can ruin a vacation).
Old 10-06-2014, 07:31   #5

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
Re: BVI June Weather

I owned a charter boat in the BVIs and often sailed in June. Great out on the water, a bit hotter in town.

It is technically hurricane season, but hurricanes are very rare in June.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 07:59   #6

Statistically in the Caribbean in June there is a hurricane once every 3 - 4 years, in July there is a hurricane once every 2 - 3 years, in August there is one to two per year, in September there is two to three, then falling off at the end of November to nothing in December. Remember, above says statistically, not exact. This is all from modern marine weather, second edition.
jrb1001psu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 12:29   #7

Boat: Cambria 46

Sailed in June a few years ago and had a great time. Beautiful weather. Caribbean has always been a winter destination and summer off peak. I guess people worry about hurricane season and the chance of stormy weather as the oceans heat up.
gussers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2014, 18:47   #8

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

There is really no off season in the BVI anymore. 30 years ago you could go all summer on Jost and only see a handful of boats come in. The anchorages are pretty darn full all year long now. Most restaurants stay open until September but some close mid august. They will reopen a month later because things start to get into full swing the second week of October. June is a fine time to be there.

We usually spend august down there... No AC but we are used to it. It can get awfully steamy. The best bet is to spend all day in the water, only coming out for a new adult beverage and more suntan lotion!
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weather