Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-10-2017, 11:45   #16

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: Belize - advice on 4 day catamaran charter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
On behalf of the Belizians I am offended by all this talk of danger. Hearing it being disparaged is too much, maybe you should go somewhere else. Believe it or not but they think the US is dangerous.
The risk is indeed low in Belize, but there have been a few unpleasant events in recent years...prior to that I always slept with everything open at anchor with zero worry...now, Im more cautious.

Many Belizeans are bordeline phobic of Guatemala...so better not go there either!

For me, I'll be back in Guate in November and am really looking forward to it!

The USA is scary though! 😆
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 11:48   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrudyLT View Post
Hi Jeanine,

I am about to head down to Belize for a 10 Day charter, starting in Placencia. We will have a Sunsail 444 with a crew of 4 adults.

Was wondering if you had any feedback on how your trip went? We already have Freya's guide, and have done as best we can to study the map.

Any advice you can offer is very much appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Trudy
Hola Trudy, are there specific subject areas you have questions about (weather, provisioning, routes, anchorages...)?
Old 05-10-2017, 07:43   #18

Hi BelizeSailor!

I've read through as many forums and blog posts as I can find to try to get a better idea of what to expect during our Belize experience. I guess one of my main questions is about mooring locations (or lack thereof).

For example, the website for Ranguana Cay Visiting Boats — Tropical Island excursion indicates a $20 fee for overnight stays. I have read that the only moorings there are old engine blocks so I was ready to write off Ranguana as an overnight option until I checked their website. I am curious if they have recently installed/are maintaining new, reliable buoys?

Also hoping the TD16 doesn't head toward Belize. Charter starts on Sunday
TrudyLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 05:24   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrudyLT View Post
Hi BelizeSailor!

I've read through as many forums and blog posts as I can find to try to get a better idea of what to expect during our Belize experience. I guess one of my main questions is about mooring locations (or lack thereof).

For example, the website for Ranguana Cay Visiting Boats — Tropical Island excursion indicates a $20 fee for overnight stays. I have read that the only moorings there are old engine blocks so I was ready to write off Ranguana as an overnight option until I checked their website. I am curious if they have recently installed/are maintaining new, reliable buoys?

Also hoping the TD16 doesn't head toward Belize. Charter starts on Sunday
Any moorings installed in Belize immediately become public property. The installer has priority on its use, but may not charge for its use (they can request a voluntary donation for maintenance). The fee at Ranguana is for coming ashore, they cant charge you for anchoring or mooring.

Holding suxs at Ranguana, but there are old engine blocks you can tie your own line to if you can find them.

There is a sandy spot around the S end of Ranguana, but I dont recommend that without local knowledge.

There was an attempt at installing moorings throughout Belize, including Ranguana, years ago...sadly those moorings were not maintained, were abused/vandalized, and no longer exist...though many of the old mooring pins are still in the bottom.

You can visit Ranguana as a day stop. In prevailing winds you can sail either way between Ranguana and Placencia. Day stop there early and then find a better anchorage for the night.
Old 06-10-2017, 07:43   #20
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Tucker CA41 Steel 40 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Any moorings installed in Belize immediately become public property. The installer has priority on its use, but may not charge for its use (they can request a voluntary donation for maintenance). The fee at Ranguana is for coming ashore, they cant charge you for anchoring or mooring.

Holding suxs at Ranguana, but there are old engine blocks you can tie your own line to if you can find them.

There is a sandy spot around the S end of Ranguana, but I dont recommend that without local knowledge.

There was an attempt at installing moorings throughout Belize, including Ranguana, years ago...sadly those moorings were not maintained, were abused/vandalized, and no longer exist...though many of the old mooring pins are still in the bottom.

You can visit Ranguana as a day stop. In prevailing winds you can sail either way between Ranguana and Placencia. Day stop there early and then find a better anchorage for the night.
The Moorings briefing will cover Ranguana, (if not ask) I have heard that the Moorings no longer allow overnight stays there
Triumphant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 08:17   #21

Also, Ranguana is a fair weather only anchorage. Ranguana only has protection from prevailing wind/sea direction (E-NE). In any other conditions, you need to be somewhere else. This is especially true if winds shift to an Westerly cuadrant. Ranguana quickly becomes untenable in those conditions, as you are now on a lee shore with poor holding and miles of fetch.

Ive participated in several recoveries at Ranguana of charter boats and guests who didnt heed that warning (and know of many more).

A Westerly shift also foretells a significant change in weather is coming. This time of year likely tropical weather. If you get a W shift, go find a hole to hide in, regardless of what the forecast says...there's a change a comin.

The nearest all weather anchorage is behind No Name Point just N of Monkey River. Lark Caye Range is another good option, depending upon your route.
Old 06-10-2017, 08:18   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triumphant View Post
The Moorings briefing will cover Ranguana, (if not ask) I have heard that the Moorings no longer allow overnight stays there
If so, its a good decision...its really best as a day anchorage only.

Tags
Belize, catamaran, charter